Brewer Fanatic

Video Games

GAME05

I'm considering ordering the oculus quest 2 I have been seeing all this hype about. I've been wanting to get some kind of VR system for a long time and the quest 2 seems like it would get me in at a much lower price point than getting the whole PSVR system. I haven't had much luck figuring out if it's a viable system for offline use. I realize some games where you play with other people you'd need to be online for sure, but what about the rest? I could take it to work and install games and updates as needed no problem, we have a big pipe there. At home is a different story, I get 30gb/month so I don't even bother with wifi, just ethernet into the laptop.

Also, do you have to be signed into facebook on the thing in order to play?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering ordering the oculus quest 2 I have been seeing all this hype about. I've been wanting to get some kind of VR system for a long time and the quest 2 seems like it would get me in at a much lower price point than getting the whole PSVR system. I haven't had much luck figuring out if it's a viable system for offline use. I realize some games where you play with other people you'd need to be online for sure, but what about the rest? I could take it to work and install games and updates as needed no problem, we have a big pipe there. At home is a different story, I get 30gb/month so I don't even bother with wifi, just ethernet into the laptop.

Also, do you have to be signed into facebook on the thing in order to play?

Please see this video:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. One of the things that interest me about Strategic Command: WWII World At War is that is the triggering of certain events AND the fact that some scenarios play out contradicting history...I can understand why that is a big turnoff for many but it seems like it would add to replay value which is something I'm interested in.

I'll have to check out some video for the War in the Pacific game and see if I might be interested in switching and getting that one instead. Thanks again.

Hey JosephC

If you're interested, War in the Pacific is now $16 instead of the usual $80 for their Christmas Sale.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

Thanks nate82, that was pretty informative. They didn't really touch on my dilemma regarding wifi, and that's always tough for me when dealing with products, as most seem to go with the assumption of unlimited and fast wifi everywhere. The product looks very cool aside from the whole facebook thing. Has anyone here gotten one and care to chime in thoughts?

Thanks nate82, that was pretty informative. They didn't really touch on my dilemma regarding wifi, and that's always tough for me when dealing with products, as most seem to go with the assumption of unlimited and fast wifi everywhere. The product looks very cool aside from the whole facebook thing. Has anyone here gotten one and care to chime in thoughts?

I don't have one and don't know anyone who does but you should be able to hookup to any kind of wifi and download from there. I am not sure if you always have to be connected to wifi I wouldn't think you would have to. I did find this on reddit:

It looks like there is an offline mode that can be used.

I only have the PSVR. Assuming you have a great computer to be able to run the Oculus, I do like that as opposed to the PSVR because Oculus will come out with a new headset more often.

The Quest 2 doesn't need a PC to run it. The processor it has is a beefier version of what you find in tablets and phones.

The Quest 2 doesn't need a PC to run it. The processor it has is a beefier version of what you find in tablets and phones.

That's awesome. I may look into that in a few years. My flat gaming has just about died because I like VR so much more, but I don't love VR so much that I want to buy a $400 PS5 just to buy a $400 PSVR2 when it comes out.

• 2 months later...
Want to get a PS4 for my brother. The parents live nearby him. That way we can all play Jackbox Party Pack together. It would be a fun family kinda thing. But it looks like with PS4 backstocks low the price on them is too high to be worth buying. I may end up getting a PS5 just so I can send my brother my current PS4, at least when stocks of the PS5 become available. I don't really want a PS5, though.

Want to get a PS4 for my brother. The parents live nearby him. That way we can all play Jackbox Party Pack together. It would be a fun family kinda thing. But it looks like with PS4 backstocks low the price on them is too high to be worth buying. I may end up getting a PS5 just so I can send my brother my current PS4, at least when stocks of the PS5 become available. I don't really want a PS5, though.

A PS4 is definitely one of those things I'd look to buy used.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I am, but they're still going for $275 at Gamestop, and that's pretty ridiculous when a Digital PS5 is $400. But maybe once Playstation stops doing this artificial scarcity with the new system, used PS4 prices will finally drop. I'm in no big hurry.

"For Jackbox games, you can also get a Steam account (they are free). It runs on a PC and maybe other platforms (I use a PC)."

Yeah that's been a consideration. Of course only after I'd paid for the streaming stick tv version. Once PS4 prices drop down to normal levels it'll be worth the slight additional cost because in front of a video game system is a more comfortable environment for everyone than in front of the computer.

I am, but they're still going for $275 at Gamestop, and that's pretty ridiculous when a Digital PS5 is $400. But maybe once Playstation stops doing this artificial scarcity with the new system, used PS4 prices will finally drop. I'm in no big hurry.

"For Jackbox games, you can also get a Steam account (they are free). It runs on a PC and maybe other platforms (I use a PC)."

Yeah that's been a consideration. Of course only after I'd paid for the streaming stick tv version. Once PS4 prices drop down to normal levels it'll be worth the slight additional cost because in front of a video game system is a more comfortable environment for everyone than in front of the computer.

I don't buy the artificial scarcity thing. Less people having PS5 means less people buying ps5 games, ps5 controllers, etc. That's not a smart business strategy. It's also not just playstation but xbox too, so unless you think they are colluding together(not impossible but unlikely)...the simplest explanation(demand is significantly greater than supply in large part due to covid) is probably the correct one here.

Regarding PS4, yeah prices are still very high on those likely as you've noted due to ps5 shortage. I was looking on craigslist and seeing similar 250+ prices. I highly suspect in a handful of months the ps5 will be more readily available and more used ps4s will become available.

I read somewhere that for every PS5 they're selling, they're only selling 0.3 PS5 games. Looks like lots of people are buying 20 consoles at a time and then trying to re-sell them for $1000.

Yeah that's not really caused by Sony. That's all the dirtbags with the bots buying them all up and reselling on ebay.

A Nintendo Switch is just an awesome system if you have young kids and like to game with them. Definitely the first console I've ever seen that is perfect as both a standard console and a handheld portable to take in the car or whatever, and we use it for both.

A Nintendo Switch is just an awesome system if you have young kids and like to game with them. Definitely the first console I've ever seen that is perfect as both a standard console and a handheld portable to take in the car or whatever, and we use it for both.

That's what I have heard. I have 2 young kids and if they want to play video games I may look into one of these down the road.

Friend of mine had the Wii with his three young kids. I asked him why he chose that console and he said there's handicaps built into the games and so he can still try as hard as he can yet the final result is always close. I would presume that feature is built into the Switch, too.

Friend of mine had the Wii with his three young kids. I asked him why he chose that console and he said there's handicaps built into the games and so he can still try as hard as he can yet the final result is always close. I would presume that feature is built into the Switch, too.

Not sure on the Wii but I'll have to check that out. We just hooked ours back up for the first time in awhile (I have 3 young boys 7,4,2). I know going back to SNES days, there were certain games that had a "computer assistance" option which kept games close.

On a similar note, I lost for the first time to my son in a sports game, Madden. I play up two levels from him and he destroyed me in our last game. This is similar to an "assistance" type thing. I used to be really good at Madden.... 15 years ago! He just started playing it a little bit at the end of the NFL season. I guess I need to get some practice in before the next game because my pride can't take that.

If he ever beats me at Tecmo Super Bowl, I may shed a tear.

I have no kids and love my Switch. I play it more than the Xbox or PS4. I can play it on the big screen or pop it out into handheld mode when the wife or I want to watch something else on the TV as well. It helps that I was always a Mario and Animal Crossing fan. I played it so much my wife asked for one last March so she could have her own Animal Crossing town.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• 2 months later...
Wal-Mart's "sold out" page for the PS5 says "$400". I've been checking now and again for many weeks now. I finally found them available and Wal-Mart jacked up the price to $900. Now that they're sold out again, the advertised price is back to $400.

Wal-Mart's "sold out" page for the PS5 says "$400". I've been checking now and again for many weeks now. I finally found them available and Wal-Mart jacked up the price to $900. Now that they're sold out again, the advertised price is back to $400.

There are a few good twitter accounts to follow that have the heads up on releases. I scored a ps5 with The Show last week. Supposed to arrive this week.

Very likely it was a third party seller. Wal-Mart's website is similar to Amazon/eBay where other people can sell their stuff, used or new, and set whatever price they want. I think it's just harder to spot on Wal-Mart's site. When Wal-Mart is the seller it will be for the retail (or sale) price.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Very likely it was a third party seller. Wal-Mart's website is similar to Amazon/eBay where other people can sell their stuff, used or new, and set whatever price they want. I think it's just harder to spot on Wal-Mart's site. When Wal-Mart is the seller it will be for the retail (or sale) price.

It might be depending on what you're using, but when you are searching it should say "sold by..." and that will give you an idea. Used to work for Walmart and the number of times I had to deal with "but its here on your website." :ohwell

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• 1 year later...

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.