Brewer Fanatic

LHP Andy Oliver minor league deal w/ major league camp invitation

djoctagone

lhp andy oliver has signed a minor league deal with the brewers and has been invited to major league spring training as a non-roster invitee.

oliver is out of minor league options, and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before. if the brewers select his contract to add him to the 25-man roster in the 2017 season, but later wish to assign him to the minor leagues, he'd have to clear waivers and choose to accept the minor league assignment.

Career minor league WHIP of 1.49 and MLB WHiP of 1.83. I couldn't see splits, so I sure hope he's good at getting LH hitters out and is trying out for a LOOGY role.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Career minor league WHIP of 1.49 and MLB WHiP of 1.83. I couldn't see splits, so I sure hope he's good at getting LH hitters out and is trying out for a LOOGY role.

Unfortunately, the numbers are pretty much the same vs LH or RHB. milb.com has the numbers, but doesn't summarize his MILB career. Here is last year's sample. I looked back a couple years and the results are about the same (showing only a slight improvement vs LHB in the previous couple years at AAA):

[pre]Stats: ERA IP BAA WHIP

vs Left 3.47 23.1 .264 1.37

vs Right 3.41 63.1 .260 1.41[/pre]

It's an NRI, no-lose deal for the Brewers. If he stinks, he's gone at no cost. If he proves to have a plus side that's never played out in real live boxscores, then it's a good, cheap signing.

This also has the look of a signing meant to give some depth to the CS pitching staff, and anything meaningfully positive beyond that is a bonus.

Power type lefty in bullpen.... Worth a look considering the other lefties are soft tossers/ craft pitchers. Tommy & Brent cranking 87-89 aren't going overpower anyone.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

His major league numbers comprise about 30 total innings, and it's from 2010 and 2011, so that really doesn't tell us much, if anything. His minor numbers aren't great, but he's been "ok" the last three years, which is what's really the most relevant (and largest) sample. Do I think he's going to be great? No.... but looking at the most recent relevant sample he's trending better than just a quick glance at his overall numbers show.

He might surprise and be a 2017 contributor. I doubt it, honestly, but he's at least worth a glance.

Archived