Brewer Fanatic

Justin O'Connor

@KyleAGlaser

#Rays officially announce signing of C Wilson Ramos to 2-yr/$12.5 million contract. $5.75 mil in incentives as well. C Justin O'Connor DFA'd

As a 2010 first round pick, who is only 24, I feel like he might be a good piece to add to the system. He was on the Rays top 30 prospect with the following report....

Scouting Grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 50 | Run: 35 | Arm: 80 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

O'Conner became the first-ever catcher taken by the Rays in the first round of the Draft when they picked him 31st overall in 2010. He struggled offensively at the outset of his professional career and didn't make his full-season debut until 2013, but O'Conner found his footing in the Florida State League the next year and parlayed his breakout into a selection to the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. His bat regressed considerably with the move to Double-A in 2015, while a back injury has kept him off the field entirely so far in '16.

O'Conner's plus raw power is still his best offensive tool, and he utilizes it enough to believe he'll produce double-digit homers as well as plenty of doubles. He's aggressive to a fault, though, as his pop comes with a concerning number of swing-and-misses and few walks. O'Conner's swing, meanwhile, is geared toward driving the fastball, which is why he struggled to adjust to a steady diet of secondary pitches last season.

Despite not beginning to catch until his senior year of high school, the athletic O'Conner has transformed into an excellent defender behind the plate. He can shut down a running game with his elite arm strength, showing the ability to unleash rocket throws from a variety of arm angles. While his defense lessens the pressure on his bat, O'Conner must consistently hit advanced pitching to carve out a role in the Major Leagues.

I'd be all for this. Doesn't hurt to add more depth at that position.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

While he did just have back surgery, I'd still take a flyer.

He had a pair of back surgeries and hip surgery in his past. Very hard to overcome that.

Brewers could afford to sign Wellington Castillo and upgrade their catching situation immediately as well as have a future trading chip.

While he did just have back surgery, I'd still take a flyer.

He had a pair of back surgeries and hip surgery in his past. Very hard to overcome that.

Brewers could afford to sign Wellington Castillo and upgrade their catching situation immediately as well as have a future trading chip.

I'm for a flip candidate for a position we don't have any prospects at (Thames). But, we have two 27 year old (and Pina 29+y.o.) guys at catcher and I would spend 2017 playing them and seeing if any are a future core of the team.

Archived