Brewer Fanatic

Nats send Danny Espinosa to Angels for 2 minor league pitchers (has Brewer impact)

MadThinker88

Welp... the move of Eaton to Washington kicked over another domino/ deal......

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/nationals-trade-danny-espinosa-to-angels.html

Two minor leaguers to the Nationals but that is not the main part of the story. This move seems to remove a possible landing spot for Scooter Gennett in a trade.

Unless the Angels view Scooter as a natural platoon partner for Danny.. One can only hope..

Welp... the move of Eaton to Washington kicked over another domino/ deal......

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/nationals-trade-danny-espinosa-to-angels.html

Two minor leaguers to the Nationals but that is not the main part of the story. This move seems to remove a possible landing spot for Scooter Gennett in a trade.

Unless the Angels view Scooter as a natural platoon partner for Danny.. One can only hope..

There aren't going to be teams out there that are targeting Scooter. I'm sure there are still teams that would like his services but his value dropped when it became apparent he didn't have a regular spot on the Brewers. I would expect him to be an add-on to a deal involving a controllable Brewer starter (Nelson seems to be the most logical). Remember it took until end of January last year for Segura to be dealt and that was in a multi player deal.

Speaking of Arizona, if they want to keep Owings in a super utility role, they might have some interest in Scooter to platoon with Gosselin.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even with Espinosa, the Angels could still be a player for Scooter.

Espinosa hit .226/.302/.388 in his career and .209/.306/.378 last year.

Gennett hit .279/.318/.420 in his career and .263/.317/.412 last year.

Espinosa was better on defense, but will be paid $5.3M next year also. His splits look like this:

- vs RHB: .216 .294 .367 .660

- vs LHB: .257 .327 .454 .781

I don't know what the Angel's infield looks like, but if they need a 2B, I don't know that Espinosa is the complete answer (unless you are ok with a defense only 2B).

But even if not, I guess that answers the question about the market for Scooter. Probably pretty close to Espinosa.

edit- I had my splits backwards. he hits LHB better than RHB, so a platoon with Scooter would make sense.

Dodgers could still use an inexpensive 2B and by their standards, Scooter's a bargain. If you could get them to take all but $5-6 million of Ethier's deal, an Ethier for Scooter deal makes some sense. Would give Brewers a corner OF to mix in with RH hitting Santana and Braun and a trade chip at the deadline.

Keep in mind that any savings the Dodgers get on Ethier would be double as they are well over the luxury tax threshold. So a net savings from an Ethier/Gennett deal of say $4 million actually saves them $8 million.

I'd rather hang onto Scooter than have Eithier on this team. We have the possibility of to many OFers trying to find playing time as it is, no need to muddy those waters with a guy that is 100% not going to be part of the future.

That would be a horrible trade. I don't want to make trades just so the roster looks different.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived