Brewer Fanatic

Ivan DeJesus signed to minor league deal

JohnBriggs12

I think he is competition for Rivera.

Elmore wasn't a shortstop. DeJesus can play all over the diamond - including shortstop.

Ah but he was. Elmore's played more games at SS in the big leagues than any other position. Elmore started last year at AAA, and barring a rash of injuries so will Dejesus. Remember Perez and Villar can also play SS. Eventually Brewers wanted Rivera to get some AB's so they brought up Elmore to be the 25th man. Assuming Rivera has one option left, they can do the same thing this year when he needs to get AB's. It's not a given that either make the team if Gennett isn't moved.

The Brewer infield is set. This is a move to see if they can upgrade the "25th man." There's a good chance he doesn't even make the MLB roster, and the only way he sees 400 PAs if if we have some serious injuries. In that case, it's good to have competition to see who will be the best fill-in. I don't know if Rivera has a good enough bat to play everyday, so we might as well bring in some other guys to see who sticks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Elmore wasn't a shortstop. DeJesus can play all over the diamond - including shortstop.

Ah but he was. Elmore's played more games at SS in the big leagues than any other position.

Elmore didn't play a game last year at SS - in the big leagues or the minors. The majority of his SS time in the majors was in 2012 and 2013. Less than 20% of his playing time in his career (majors and minors) has been at SS - and it's gotten less and less as he's gotten older and his weakness at the position exposed. He's a classic type of guy that can play the position in a pinch, but you don't want him there because he's a defensively liability.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ah but he was. Elmore's played more games at SS in the big leagues than any other position.

Elmore didn't play a game last year at SS - in the big leagues or the minors. The majority of his SS time in the majors was in 2012 and 2013. Less than 20% of his playing time in his career (majors and minors) has been at SS - and it's gotten less and less as he's gotten older and his weakness at the position exposed. He's a classic type of guy that can play the position in a pinch, but you don't want him there because he's a defensively liability.

Did someone say my name?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

Here's your guy that's going to get 400 pointless PA in 2017.

Did someone say my name?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

If you look in the mirror and say his name 3 times, he'll hit a sac fly to left center.

• 2 months later...
i'm predicting that de jesus has his contract selected before opening day. assuming no candidates for the 60-day disabled list, it'll probably be at the expense of trying to outright yadiel rivera or jesus aguilar to the minor leagues. neither has been outrighted before, so if they go unclaimed, either will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

i'm predicting that de jesus has his contract selected before opening day. assuming no candidates for the 60-day disabled list, it'll probably be at the expense of trying to outright yadiel rivera or jesus aguilar to the minor leagues. neither has been outrighted before, so if they go unclaimed, either will be forced to accept the minor league assignment.

If they go with a five-man bench, Kirk N is probably a shoo in, as they need someone who can play center field. Perez and Gennett are in as utility guys, and Pina will likely be the backup catcher. So really, it depends on whether they want to use Villar as the backup SS or if they only want him manning 2B. If he's the backup, then they will probably go with Aguilar as the power bat off the bench. If they want to carry a "defense-first" utility guy who can play SS, then I'd rather keep Rivera than de Jesus. Neither of them can hit, so we might as well keep the guy who is homegrown and six years younger.

With Perez and Gennett able to cover every position except catcher, center field and SS, and Villar able to back-up SS, it's possible we go with a four-man bench to start the season in order to get an extra arm in the 'pen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

DeJesus strikes me as a textbook AAA IF. Provides CS a legit player that can help them, and can come up to Milw in an emergency. AAA is always a mix of prospects and filler vets.

Final roster spot could be almost anyone at this point. Another BP arm, Rivera, Aguilar, Reed, Wren, or someone who would be somewhat of a surprise.

If they want to carry a "defense-first" utility guy who can play SS, then I'd rather keep Rivera than de Jesus. Neither of them can hit, so we might as well keep the guy who is homegrown and six years younger.

The 6 years younger is a decent enough reason, but there is a difference between whether they "can hit" and the 44 wRC+ Yadiel is projected for. A dozen pitchers will likely outhit that number.

If we are going to keep a 3rd middle infield type, I wish they would have just kept Andrianza, but oh well. I'd prefer they just use Perez for back-up shortstop,

Yeah, Villar & Perez should be able to handle SS fine for a day or two when Orlando needs a day off so I hope they go the Aguilar route with the 5th bench spot (assuming they don't go with 13 pitchers) to give Thames a break against tough LHP here & there.

If they want to carry a "defense-first" utility guy who can play SS, then I'd rather keep Rivera than de Jesus. Neither of them can hit, so we might as well keep the guy who is homegrown and six years younger.

The 6 years younger is a decent enough reason, but there is a difference between whether they "can hit" and the 44 wRC+ Yadiel is projected for. A dozen pitchers will likely outhit that number.

If we are going to keep a 3rd middle infield type, I wish they would have just kept Andrianza, but oh well. I'd prefer they just use Perez for back-up shortstop,

I saw that too. If he's really that bad, I would hope the Brewers would have dumped him long ago, or at least wouldn't waste spring PAs on him. I'd guess that projection might be slightly off :-)

~Bill Walsh

DeJesus strikes me as a textbook AAA IF. Provides CS a legit player that can help them, and can come up to Milw in an emergency. AAA is always a mix of prospects and filler vets.

Final roster spot could be almost anyone at this point. Another BP arm, Rivera, Aguilar, Reed, Wren, or someone who would be somewhat of a surprise.

Well from the lineup and bench, with 12-13 spots, I'd assume Braun, Broxton, Santana, Shaw, Perez, Arcia, Villar, Thames, and Gennett are all locks. Then 2 of Susac, Bandy and Pina. Much as I'm not a fan, I don't think there is much Nieuwenhuis can do to play his way off the team. Counsell seems to love him, and we don't have another versatile lefty OF.

So the way I see it there's already 12 spots spoken for. And I'd agree, 25th man could be a pen arm or bench guy. But I'd be surprised if it's an outfielder.

Much as I'm not a fan, I don't think there is much Nieuwenhuis can do to play his way off the team. Counsell seems to love him, and we don't have another versatile lefty OF.

1. Counsell doesn't have the final say on roster decisions.

2. Nieuwenhuis has a split contract this year which pays much less if he's in the minors, so they must have at least considered that he might not make the team. The question is who you'd want to be our 5th OF instead.

Much as I'm not a fan, I don't think there is much Nieuwenhuis can do to play his way off the team. Counsell seems to love him, and we don't have another versatile lefty OF.

2. Nieuwenhuis has a split contract this year which pays much less if he's in the minors, so they must have at least considered that he might not make the team. The question is who you'd want to be our 5th OF instead.

Counsell absolutely has say in the roster decisions. Ultimately Stearns can override him, but I can't see Stearns ever doing that over the last couple spots on the bench unless he had a very good reason.

3. They need a backup center fielder. Gennett and Perez can't do that on a regular basis, and the team stated last year that they do not want Santana playing there.

I agree that he's virtually a lock to make the opening day roster, but barring injury I don't think he will have a big role this year. I think Perez will be the primary backup at corner OF, and Kirk will be the primary backup at CF. Should an OF go on the DL, Brinson is a phone call away.

With Gennett and Perez able to back up the corners (and Thames if it comes to that), I doubt they keep a true "5th OF" on the roster. The final spot will likely be determined by whether they'd like to keep Aguilar's bat, a slick-fielding defensive IF, or an extra bullpen arm. Not that I have any say in the matter, but right now I'd like to see them keep the power bat off the bench in Aguilar.

~Bill Walsh

Archived