Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Need Another Affiliate

Mass Haas
I like the signing, but assuming the Brewers keep 12 pitchers on the MLB staff and 13 on each of the four full season minor league squads, the Brewers currently have 74(!) non-restricted pitchers slated begin the season in extended spring training (i.e. on the Helena, AZL, or DSL roster). That's insane.

At some point, you have too many guys. The Brewers have too many guys.

And that is before the 2017 draft in June!

Really insane!

It's one thing to collect talent, but it's another to string pitchers along all winter on training programs and such (surely they don't mind, for the time being, all are part of an affiliated organization, awesome). Several (read: many) pitchers will be let go this April simply to make things manageable. And many of these kids are considered the later arrivals to spring training, giving some of the fringe older guys "maybe" two weeks to impress.

There are two short-season leagues (the 14-team New York-Penn League and the eight-team Northwest) that are considered in-between Rookie Level (Helena) and A-Ball (Wisconsin). So 22 of baseball's 30 organizations field an affiliate in one of these leagues - keep in mind some don't field a team in the Pioneer or Appalachian Leagues, it does get confusing.

This would have been an ideal year for the Brewers to take part, they'd have some work to do on the position player side to get bodies, though.

You can see which organizations are in each league by clicking on their respective standings links here and here.

Of course, you don't just jump in. Some organization would need to drop out and the Brewers slide into their spot, unless somehow two teams were added in a league, the Brewers affiliating with one.

Twelve teams in all -- the White Sox, Indians, Angels, Twins, Mariners, Braves, Rockies, Marlins, Nationals, Padres, Pirates, and Giants field just seven affiliates like the Brewers.

Heck, the Yankees have ten, the Astros and Rays nine, here's the complete breakdown across MLB, keep in mind also some of the extra teams are additional Dominican League squads.

But the point being, it's going to be an interesting camp on the pitching side.

Truthfully, while it might dilute the talent level a bit, it isn't even that big of a stretch to think that a normal draft would give them enough hitters to stock another team. You could put together an interesting Helena lineup now even without any 2017 draft picks (and also not including a number of the college hitters drafted last year who likely won't have a place with the Rattlers). Toss in the usual 15-18 draft picks, an UDFA college catcher or two, a couple DSL kids getting brought up and the guys likely to repeat in Arizona, and there shouldn't be a huge issue if there had been an opportunity for the Brewers to do this.

I could also see a larger than usual number of pitchers sticking around in extended spring training. Both the A+ and A pitching staffs should be more experienced this year than last, so a greater number of midseason promotions could be possible.

Simply outstanding information. This is why I have been a visitor of this site for years. Thanks for the info.

The earliest we could see an additional affiliate would be for the '18 season, in your opinion? Given the repeated comments that Stearns has made on building organizational depth combined with the stockpiling of arms, it would make sense to happen soon.

Mass Has, you mentioned some of the organizations with 8-9 affiliated teams have an additional DSL squad. Any insight on how the new CBA/international signing rules may affect the Brewers willingness to add an additional squad? I have been trying to determine if the new rules will swing the Brewers more towards quantity over quality in the international market given the limitations of big market teams, or if the number of international signees will be largely unaffected by the new structure (likely, imo).

• 2 weeks later...

In an offline discussion, a trusted Brewers media person pointed out to me that while nominal, the Brewers would need to allocate another full coaching and training staff, there'd be additional medical costs, etc. ($$$)

My points being is that the draft and international pools would be set and would not be impacted, but if you're going to accumulate all these rookie level bodies, why not truly evaluate them over the course of a full summer, rather than discarding so many of them based on 2-3 weeks of spring workouts and a few pre-season innings?

If the Brewers couldn't afford a 2nd Maryvale squad (never mind one of the other short-season league entries), then that would be sad. How many more additional costs would there be besides those mentioned in the first line of this post? Gotta buy another bus?

• 4 weeks later...
Well, the Padres are doing exactly what we were hoping the Brewers might do - via Baseball America.

The league will now have 15 teams next year -- gee, one more team and the schedule won't have to be built-in with a day off for a single team every day, now will it, Brewers?

I wonder if this has to do with not having enough room at the facilities in Maryvale for two teams?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived