Brewer Fanatic

Winter Weather Thread (2016-19)

BradWI

Looks like about 10" of snow last night with predictions to snow until late evening today. Then changing over to occasional rain tonight. And as always around here, every snowstorm includes 2" of ice on the roads. Fortunately my park system proactively closes for big snow storms, because not long ago it wasn't like that. My power has flashed off twice this morning, so more than likely I'm going to lose it for good in the coming hours.

So realize I didn't update on the hurricane that came through here. We actually got two, though the second one was a lot quieter. A few deaths reported with the first one along the coast, because when they issue mandatory evacuation orders, a LOT of people do the "I've been living here all my life!" thing like the dude at Mt. St. Helens and get into trouble. I was deployed to a shelter for a week for the homeless/poor/immigrants who truly didn't have anywhere else to go, and that went pretty smoothly with only a few little troubles. The immigrants from Cameroon did a song and dance for everyone from their home country, which was pretty neat. I guess some other co-workers were sent to a shelter directly on the coast, and it turned out to be security work for a shelter of deployed EMTs/National Guard. That of course meant zero real security issues whatsoever, and so they instead went out with the First Aid folks to help in the community.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So realize I didn't update on the hurricane that came through here. We actually got two, though the second one was a lot quieter. A few deaths reported with the first one along the coast, because when they issue mandatory evacuation orders, a LOT of people do the "I've been living here all my life!" thing like the dude at Mt. St. Helens and get into trouble.

Apparently, said dude was pretty infamous, but I sure didn't remember him from 1980. I visited the site in 2000 and he is remembered. Dude's name is easy to remember: Harry Truman.

• 1 month later...

Currently, the forecasted high next week Wednesday in Waukesha is minus 11, minus 3 in Milwaukee.

About 10 days ago I remember thinking..wow, what a great Winter so far, wouldn't it be something if we got less than 20 inches of snow all Winter and no bitterly cold temperatures. I've lived here all my life, I should know better.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The wind chills are the real problem. Up north we are projected -26 for a temperature and -50 for a wind chill.

I am guessing there will be a lot of pipes freezing and/or bursting for a lot of people. We simply don't have much snow up here that typically insulates the ground. I probably have 3 inches in my yard if being generous.

Community Moderator
It looks like an incredible cold blast next week--as cold as it can possibly get in this climate. Looks like widespread -20s (actual temperature) in southern WI. Not as long lived as the 1994 cold snap. Glad I'm not around for it.

I don't know how it stacked up historically but 2014 sticks out as being brutally cold. I can pinpoint the year because I was in my old apartment and my first son was born. I had to walk the dogs without my fenced yard and I remember just being absolutely freezing doing that after work for what felt like two solid months.

I don't know how it stacked up historically but 2014 sticks out as being brutally cold. I can pinpoint the year because I was in my old apartment and my first son was born. I had to walk the dogs without my fenced yard and I remember just being absolutely freezing doing that after work for what felt like two solid months.

Feels as though every 5 or so years we are due for brutal cold stretch. I think 2013 was the spring here in Northern Wisconsin we got just an unreal 10+ inch snowstorm at least a week into May.

I am really hoping the snow holds off and we get a mild spring as far as snow goes. I hate how long it lingers on the ground up here.

Well I'm on the opposite end of the complaining spectrum here. We had our -55 wind chills a couple weeks ago, and -40 on Monday. Now it's in the 30s and raining, which poses a problem for me. I was planning to bike up the frozen river 7 miles to home for the weekend, but it's turning into a wet slushy mess and by tomorrow it might even be too wet for truck traffic.

Community Moderator
Seattle hasn't had a single day this year that would qualify as 'winter'. A handful of frosts but never colder than the mid-40s by afternoon. All of my bulbs are up and it looks like the early trees/shrubs wills start blooming in a week or two. Warmest January on record and one of the driest. Usually there are a couple of cold snaps/brief snowy periods but none to be had this year.

I don't understand post #32

Old people :rolleyes

Ha, I know :laughing

I'm sorry, but some of the memes that are used are cryptic. I just can't tell what is going on there in that picture. Is that kid happy, sad, is there something wrong with the apple (I think that's what that is) he is eating? How does it relate to OldSchoolSnapper being in Hawaii?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Seattle hasn't had a single day this year that would qualify as 'winter'. A handful of frosts but never colder than the mid-40s by afternoon. All of my bulbs are up and it looks like the early trees/shrubs wills start blooming in a week or two. Warmest January on record and one of the driest. Usually there are a couple of cold snaps/brief snowy periods but none to be had this year.

My wife and I are going to Seattle for three nights in May for our 10 year anniversary. What is the weather like there in early May?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

My wife and I are going to Seattle for three nights in May for our 10 year anniversary. What is the weather like there in early May?

Pretty nice. Likely 60s or 70s, but with Seattle you always have a shot at 40s and rain

And apparently another round of snow of TBD magnitude on Sunday night and Monday. Sounds like it could be some decent accumulations.

The forecast for next Wednesday is a HIGH of -9 and LOW of -21. That might be cancel school territory. Kids can't walk to school with those kind of temperatures.

Archived