Brewer Fanatic

Caleb Smith selected in Rule 5 draft; Caleb Smith traded to Cubs; Caleb Smith appreciation thread

billymac

Basically gave up our 21st ranked prospect (Miguel Diaz to the Padres) for this guy. Me no likey.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

wei-chung wang is jealous that smith gets his own thread in the major league forum to discuss the transaction.

Smith is now on our 25 man roster, is he not?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A great pitcher, gone. Never once in his entire Brewer career did he go on injured reserve, never blew a game, never even gave up a run. Hope there is still room for a statue outside the park for him.

/salute

A great pitcher, gone. Never once in his entire Brewer career did he go on injured reserve, never blew a game, never even gave up a run. Hope there is still room for a statue outside the park for him.

/salute

About as solid a guy as can be, need more guys like him

Any idea what we got back from the Cubs?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Cash or PTBNL? We really are just a farm club for the big markets.

Any idea what we got back from the Cubs?

[sarcasm]It's going across Twitter than we are either getting Schwarber back or $5 million in cash[/sarcasm]

Statement from Caleb Smith:

"Just wanted to thank the Milwaukee Brewers and their incredible fan base. While we never got that championship together, I am off to a much better place now and hoping to share next years World Series with Milwaukee. Good luck Milwaukee! Caleb Smith"

This is way over my head...I'm sorry. Can someone explain what happened?

We selected a player for the Cubs basically? And they said we'll give you cash for the favor?

Okay I think I figured it out.

We picked up an asset for free, weighed whether we wanted to keep the asset, then decided we wanted to use the roster spot elsewhere so put feelers out to see if anyone else wanted asset. Then we got $$ for asset.

We selected a player for the Cubs basically? And they said we'll give you cash for the favor?

Essentially, yes. I really doubt we actually wanted Caleb Smith and just traded him away for virtually nothing.

Essentially, yes. I really doubt we actually wanted Caleb Smith and just traded him away for virtually nothing.

This is not uncommon, we've done it a number of times in the past.

I understand that maybe no available player fit our roster needs/Stearns liking, however, if there was ever a year that the Brewers could afford to use a full season roster spot on a player that could help in the future, this season would be it!

Dang nab it!

Archived