Brewer Fanatic

Chapman to Yankees; 5 years, $86M

reillymcshane

That is a LOT of money, and maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see the Yankees having the horses to keep up with the Red Sox at all. Kinda seems like that money could have been put to better use. I realize he is an outstanding talent, but 17+ million a year for a guy who is going to give you 60-70 innings probably...well, maybe this is why I'm not a GM.

Probably a very smart move by the Cubs not signing him for this price. I just can't see this guy lasting 5 years.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, I believe a player has to be with his team for the full season in order for it to be eligible to receive a pick.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Fowler & Chapman signed very similar contracts. If the market values the most dominant reliever in the game about the same as an above average position player does that mean a reliever with a much shorter track record of success is worth about the same as an averagish position player & a couple prospects of varying intrigue?

Fowler & Chapman signed very similar contracts. If the market values the most dominant reliever in the game about the same as an above average position player does that mean a reliever with a much shorter track record of success is worth about the same as an averagish position player & a couple prospects of varying intrigue?

Possibly, but one would have to factor in the potential surplus value a player might have since they are only in arbitration. Because Chapman/Fowler are both being compared at market value. Thornburg on the other hand is getting paid well under market value.

Right. Fowler & Chapman are both being paid at market value. Thornburg, Shaw, Dubon & Pennington are all being paid well under market value. That was why I thought it was an interesting comparison valuewise.

Because of the draft pick, Fowler is being paid less than the market rate.

Right. Fowler & Chapman are both being paid at market value. Thornburg, Shaw, Dubon & Pennington are all being paid well under market value. That was why I thought it was an interesting comparison valuewise.

Because of the draft pick, Fowler is being paid less than the market rate.

Disagree. At that price tag you aren't complaining about a lost draft pick. It really only effects a players value when said player is looking at a $40mil contract or so. At that point it becomes fuzzy not when you are pushing $100mil.

Archived