Brewer Fanatic

Target getting Jeffress back?

Rumors were the Rangers were talking to Reds about starting pitching and the Reds are interested in Jeffress.

Stearns has hinted he'd listen to offers for a starter and he also said they'd be looking at the reliever market to help fill the void left by Thornburg.

Nelson really struggled after Lucroy left. Maybe re-unite them?

Sometimes something leaves and it is a good thing. We dodged a bullet that we traded him when we did. We don't need that problem around the team. I doubt the Rangers would let him go cheap and I don't see a reason to pay a big price for a guy we literally just traded to get prospects.

I tend to think that it wouldn't take a return of Jimmy Nelson to net us Jeffress. I don't think he's a clubhouse cancer or anything but he certainly does come with some more baggage than he had when we traded him a short four months ago.

I wanted to say something about this in the TT trade thread, but I think maybe we're getting a bit out of control in how we're valuing relievers. CONTENDERS place a high value on CONSISTENTLY DOMINANT RELIEVERS because they're in a place where, say, a 30 percent greater chance of winning one key game has enormous value. Three things about that:

(1) If you aren't a contender, you don't care about that margin, and relievers are a foolish investment. You just need a competent bullpen so that your pitching staff doesn't implode, and we have plenty of warm bodies that can fill that need as well as JJ. For a noncontender, a reliever has only his basic value: that of a guy who pitches maybe 60-70 innings. Market forces aside, just looking at raw game-winning value, TT for Travis Shaw straight up would have been very reasonable (and I'm not a big Shaw fan).

(2) If a reliever isn't well established as a shutdown guy, his value is drastically less. That's why I love the return for TT. He's had one excellent season, with less than half of it as a closer, and he's had medical issues. If he becomes a top-tier reliever, more power to him, but he isn't there and isn't a better bet to get there than not.

(3) The present market could be largely wrong; it really may be a bubble. The reliever market may be inflated on the "shiny object" theory, the shiny object in this case being the Royals' recent success. That possibility is a reason by itself to be wary of paying market price for an established reliever like JJ right now.

I wouldn't call Will Smith a long established shut down reliever but the return we got from him was pretty darn good.

Also I think maybe JohnBriggs was talking about buying low on Jeffress. Certainly not Jeffress for Nelson straightup. I'd be willing to ship a few low level prospects for Jeffress if that's all it took to get him.

I understand the idea of not wanting to trade a starter for a reliever, and I probably wouldn't trade Nelson for Jeffress either, but Jeffress was more valuable last season than Nelson, even by WAR. Nelson was downright bad.

I would personally love to not have to watch Nelson pitch anymore, as he reminds me of latter-day Yovani Gallardo, but that's just me.

I understand the idea of not wanting to trade a starter for a reliever, and I probably wouldn't trade Nelson for Jeffress either, but Jeffress was more valuable last season than Nelson, even by WAR. Nelson was downright bad.

I would personally love to not have to watch Nelson pitch anymore, as he reminds me of latter-day Yovani Gallardo, but that's just me.

Personally, if Jeffress gets Garza off our roster, I'll take him back, and if he has a good bounce-back, we can always get another haul. :)

• 7 months later...

Jeffress has not pitched well this year so it would definitely need to be classified as a move for 2018/2019 rather than a move for the present. But even if Jeffress continues to struggle, could he be any worse than Wily Peralta currently is (I'll answer that, NO!). He seems like a bad fit for the Rangers and probably would be a real cheap pickup. I wouldn't be opposed.

Has anyone watched him throw this year? Is his velo down? Why has he been unsuccessful?

Milwaukee is his safe place and I would love to think him coming back here is all he needs. He was so good during that stretch with us.

Give them Wily straight up.

Archived