Brewer Fanatic

Trading Villar

Why not see what the market is for Villar after his stellar season?

That popped into my head after I hit submit on this topic actually. I think it is worth it as well to be open to moving on from him if the price were right.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Villar repeats he'll bring an excellent haul. We don't need to move him either. Thornburg was going to be traded by the deadline this year anyway. Villar doesn't need to be traded until before the 2019 season in which a team would still get him for 2yrs before FA. I think they trade him next off-season or deadline 2018 as Dubon could be up by then for that 2nd half IF he continues his progression.

Anyone is available for the right price, but I don't see offers for Villar justifying giving him up yet. He's versatile, valuable, young and controlled. I wouldn't give him up for less than a top 25 prospect which I don't think we could get.

Brewers Get: Bellinger, De Leon, Calhoun, McCarthy, Puig

Dodgers Get: Villar, Braun, Torres

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Stearns is listening on everyone but not actively shopping guys like Villar. If he gets an offer he likes, he'll trade him.

Exactly. Also, GMs (most of them) aren't stupid. They know every player in the Brewers organization is for sale, from MLB down to Rookie Leagues. The Brewers don't need to go around advertising it.

They also know if they want Villar it would take a couple top shelf prospects in return. (And in my world, one of them would have to be a stud starting pitcher.)

I feel Villar and Thornburg are quite similiar, in that so far they have both been 1 year wonders. Don't get me wrong, as I view both as above average ball players. Look at the high demand of relievers. If we got we received in the Thornburg trade for a position in that high of a demand, then we would have to expect about the same return or even less for a Villar trade. If you would be happy that for Villar, then so be it. But personally I would want more than what we received for Thornburg.

The difference between Villar and Thornburg is Jonathan Villar is controllable an extra year which makes him a lot more likely to be around for a competitive team. I actually think Jonathan Villar is a pretty strong extension candidate with another good half year/full year. They could sign him to a three year deal and lock in 1-2 FA years with options or make it a 4-5 year deal. That still allows him to hit the FA market at 30 or 31 years old.

Not saying they will or should, but it just shows Jonathan Villar is more likely to be a piece of puzzle. Thornburg is a reliever and only available for three more years. Not exactly a guy you really want to have around or extend making $10mil+. Pretty important to build a bullpen within and not spend a ton of money on it.

I really like Thornburg and think he is a legit backend reliever(though AL East stats may not reflect that the best now). However I don't really want to pay him boatloads of money and take on the risk most relievers have.

I think Villar holds a fairly significant amount of additional value over Thornburg. It certainly doesn't hurt to listen. I think he is the biggest trade asset on the team. Unless a team is willing to give up a Giolito or Glasnow type then I'm not interested. If he can play a league average defense at 2nd base, his offense makes him a star; one to either be with the next competitive team or to deal off, but I don't think his value has peaked yet.

I think Villar holds a fairly significant amount of additional value over Thornburg. It certainly doesn't hurt to listen. I think he is the biggest trade asset on the team. Unless a team is willing to give up a Giolito or Glasnow type then I'm not interested. If he can play a league average defense at 2nd base, his offense makes him a star; one to either be with the next competitive team or to deal off, but I don't think his value has peaked yet.

And no team is going to give a Giolito or Glasnow for him. Or anything close to that.

If we are moving him to 2b, I wanna see his performance there. How well he does defensively, and of course xontinue offebsively. Arcia you know will get more double play throws with his defense and how Villar handles those quick to 1b relays will be huge in value. If hes throwing the ball away or making both Arcia and he 6WAR types by completing many no chancers. And why trade that away? Could you imagine the the difference at 2b having a true plus there vs what has been there 10+seasons?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Put it this way: I make noises about a six-year deal for Villar in the $33-39 million range with two option years.

Very public noises that he is a part of the future of the Brewers, and we're very very eager to lock him up for the long term...

TMI :laughing

Did you mean "hear noises(i.e. rumors)"?

Put it this way: I make noises about a six-year deal for Villar in the $33-39 million range with two option years.

Very public noises that he is a part of the future of the Brewers, and we're very very eager to lock him up for the long term...

TMI :laughing

Did you mean "hear noises(i.e. rumors)"?

I like Villar as much as the next guy...but maybe keep those noises private.

Agreed. I didn't look at his WAR but I suspect his defense hurts. If the move to second stabilizes his defense and he produces offense like last year he can be an incredible asset. .285 with 19 homers and 62 steals. He tailed off a bit to even drop to .285. He has top of the order talent that can be hard to come by.

Look at what Eaton just pulled.

But I'm fine keeping him. Baseball is hard but I don't think his offense was a mirage last year if he keeps the approach.

Between Arcia and Dubon you have ss who can hit for average. But will either develop pop for extra bases. Between Isan and Johnny Villar we have pop but less defense. Yadiel will get his shot while we wait on Dubon and Isan. Let's say we have Isan at 2b and Arcia at ss. If one of them tears something, it's nice to have another starting caliber guy in Dubon. I like and am confident in what is coming together in the middle infield.

And not all our eggs are in one basket. You could even hope a Rijo or even a Betancourt find the light although I wouldn't keep my hopes too high.

Archived