Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg traded to Boston for 3B Travis Shaw, SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca

patrickgpe
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like this deal a lot better with Dubon also coming back. Shaw, Arcia, Villar, Thames infield with Perez as super sub will be interesting if nothing else. As if there was any doubt, this pretty much confirms that Scooter is a goner.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

A few days after Thames was acquired, I mentioned that I thought a good comp for him this year would be Travis Shaw. So... there you go. Eric Thames MK2.

Stearns hinted they were looking for another LH bat at the Thames news conference so not totally out of the blue.

Why do I feel underwhelmed by this deal? We did not get back 1, top 100 player. After seeing what relief pitchers were going for after the all star break, I sort of assumed this would happen. Maybe I just am not familiar enough with the prospects.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There is nothing to dislike about what Dubon did last year at AA. 32 extra base hits in 62 games played and posted a .371 OBP.

I think this is a pretty good deal for both sides. Thornburg doesn't have an extensive track record but has been a plus-reliever outside of some control issues in 2014. At 28 years old he is probably one year into the five best years of his career. The Brewers net three players for a relief pitcher. One will likely step into a starting role at third base, one appears to have a good chance of being a future middle infield starter and the third is a big-arm lottery ticket. Rebuilding teams will take three-for-a-reliever deals all day long.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why do I feel underwhelmed by this deal? We did not get back 1, top 100 player. After seeing what relief pitchers were going for after the all star break, I sort of assumed this would happen. Maybe I just am not familiar enough with the prospects.

I think it's basically track record. Tyler has had one great season (but it was a heck of a season).

I think if we had held onto Tyler for another 1/2 season - and he did great - he could have gotten a huge return at the trade deadline.

But I don't blame the team for making the move now. Relievers are volatile. If Thornburg had tossed a 4.00 ERA in 2017, we'd be blaming ourselves for not trading him earlier.

Seems like an ok return. To nitpick though I think I'd have rather taken another prospect rather than Shaw. Sure he helps make the MLB team more respectable the next couple years but I don't see the difference between winning 71 and 74 games the next two years. Would rather have kept owning the future. Especially since we seemingly had a respectable 3B in Perez. Who knows, this could be the precursor to Braun trade though, so Shaw or Thames would get some PT in LF.

Seems like an ok return. To nitpick though I think I'd have rather taken another prospect rather than Shaw. Sure he helps make the MLB team more respectable the next couple years but I don't see the difference between winning 71 and 74 games the next two years. Would rather have kept owning the future. Especially since we seemingly had a respectable 3B in Perez. Who knows, this could be the precursor to Braun trade though, so Shaw or Thames would get some PT in LF.

Shaw is a FA in 2022, so essentially a prospect with almost a full year of MLB experience, but yeah, wonder if it wasn't Shaw if Kopesch and Pennington or Dubon could have gotten the deal done.

I think it's basically track record. Tyler has had one great season (but it was a heck of a season).

I think if we had held onto Tyler for another 1/2 season - and he did great - he could have gotten a huge return at the trade deadline.

But I don't blame the team for making the move now. Relievers are volatile. If Thornburg had tossed a 4.00 ERA in 2017, we'd be blaming ourselves for not trading him earlier.

I'm not underwhelmed but I have my doubts about Shaw. He was never a great hitter in the minors and the 2nd half of 2016 brings back memories of Cecchini: .194/.259/.360. Is he another Boston guy who burst on the scene and when pitchers figured him out went downhill fast?

Shaw is a FA in 2022, so essentially a prospect with almost a full year of MLB experience, but yeah, wonder if it wasn't Shaw if Kopesch and Pennington or Dubon could have gotten the deal done.

I don't think there was any way Boston was dealing Kopesch. He's going to be a Top 50 guy. He's far more valuable than Shaw.

I don't think so. The Red Sox have stated that they are not trading Kopech so the Brewers wouldn't be landing him in exchange for a relief pitcher.

I really don't think any of the top 5 prospects on Boston's list will be available for trade unless it brings back elite level MLB starting pitching.

Sure Shaw is controllable I just don't think he's anything more than just a blah starter. Would rather have upside. Who knows, maybe he'll blow up and be more than that, I just don't see it and figure we'll be hoping some of our other prospects supplant him in the next couple seasons. But it's fine, it's not the worst thing to put out a more competent team right now, I enjoy being competitive like they were last year. I just figure a guy like Perez could be just as competent.

pretty good return, good job Stearns! lets see who gets dealt next!

I like we got an actual MLB-ready 3B, too

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I agree with this. I read the deal, looked up the players, and thought "meh."

I just expected more in return. What did I expect back, not completely sure, but none of these players stand out as key guys that will be part of our next playoff team. Pennington, maybe, but I do not get the feeling that Shaw is our future answer at 3B, and Dubon seems like nothing more than a bench guy. No way he takes SS or 2B in our future unless Diaz really takes a turn for the worst.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Is Shaw a better fit at 1b or 3B? Goes a long ways with his value as his bat might just be alright.

With the addition of Shaw, this gives more depth to trade Braun as well because Thames can play in the OF, Shaw to 1B.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like we got an actual MLB-ready 3B, too

me too, i have been saying for 2 seasons that the brewers have done nothing to address their long term holes in the 2 corner IF positions. While this isn't a long term solution, its not a patch work solution that they have been doing since ARAM was traded.

Quantity over quality trade. Not that these are bad players, just not the red hot returns the relievers had been getting in 2016.

I'm not big on the quantity trades, would much rather have quality, or at least high upside guys coming back...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Thornburg, perhaps above anyone else on the Brewer roster, was responsible for the 2016 team maintaining respectability. He did not allow a single run to the Cubs, Cards, or Pirates the entire year. Overall vs. division foes, he allowed 1 run in 30 innings.

That kind of production lifts the entire team by preventing devastating late game losses.

The entire rest of the NL Central is celebrating today.

Classic Stearns trade (can we say that already). Buying low on guys with injury history, guys that can play all over the field, and guys that are controllable. Me likey.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

From MLB Daily...

"Given the incredible returns fetched by Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman last season and the fact that Thornburg will be with the Sox for at least three years, this seems like a light return for the Brewers. Shaw provides some value now, especially if he can get his bat back on track. And Dubon and Pennington may be valuable pieces two years down the road. But given the amount teams are willing to pay to acquire elite relievers, it’s a little shocking not to see Milwaukee get a more exciting package for theirs."

Wonder what other teams were in on him

Archived