Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg traded to Boston for 3B Travis Shaw, SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca

patrickgpe
Teams weren't willing to pay up for top end, relievers who were controllable at all at the trade deadline - they were last offseason, at least in the this case.

I wonder if the Brewers were the cause of this. I think it was San Diego that wanted a "Will Smith" return for Brad Hand and yet today he is still on the team. Im guessing teams were looking at what the Brewers got for Smith, Thornburg and Jeffries last year and how all three have done this year and had second thoughts.

I think so.

The Shaw-Thornburg trade was fairly high profile and has brought to the forefront the disaster that is trading major talent for a reliever.

With that said, the Chapman and Andrew Miller deals are impossible to ignore. Without those trades those teams likely dont make the World Series.

I suppose trading for relievers is a bit like playing Russian Roullette.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not all that surprised the market for relievers isn't what it was last season. It's hard to imagine that many GM's would lose their minds two seasons in a row. Why they suddenly became the rage was beyond my understanding. I get that a good bullpen is vital for a WS run but relievers are so fickle there isn't much reason to give the farm up for extra control. Half the time you end up trading them for PTBNL or DFAing them before their contract is up anyway. Paying something for a rental having a good year seems a wiser move to me.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 11 months later...
Tyler Thornburg is closing in on his Red Sox debut.

So much for that being a good trade.

?

Think Shaw & Thornburg straight up even would be win for us.... mix in Dubon knocking on door before injury & Coco is decent lottery ticket. Maybe it was suppose to be in blue?

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I see now Thornburg has been activated and will probably debut sometime this weekend. Good for him, I hope he is able to return/recover from the Red Sox messing up his arm with their terrible shoulder program and poor communication.

Didn't he get hurt about the moment he stepped off the plane in Boston? Not sure they could screw him up that fast.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I see now Thornburg has been activated and will probably debut sometime this weekend. Good for him, I hope he is able to return/recover from the Red Sox messing up his arm with their terrible shoulder program and poor communication.

Didn't he get hurt about the moment he stepped off the plane in Boston? Not sure they could screw him up that fast.

Tyler Thornburg reiterates Red Sox program contributed to injury

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Tyler Thornburg is closing in on his Red Sox debut.

So much for that being a good trade.

?

Think Shaw & Thornburg straight up even would be win for us.... mix in Dubon knocking on door before injury & Coco is decent lottery ticket. Maybe it was suppose to be in blue?

Up to this point.. Coca for Thornburg straight up has been a win for us.

Kind of weird looking back, since Thornburg in a recent article (I don't have remember which one exactly or have a link) had mentioned having problems off and on with the brewers, and that when he felt good were the stretches that he was lights out, but in that article which was much closer to the time he said he had never had shoulder problems before.

Thanks for posting, this is exactly what I remember. It might be less the shoulder program and moreso a serious communication breakdown...but regardless I fully blame the Red Sox. If you want the guy to go through an entirely new program like this, they should be checking in and making sure he's doing it right. He's also not the first guy to fall victim to their shoulder program. If my memory is any good, Joe Kelly had a similar though less extensive breakdown when he went over there. I thought even David Price had issues with it at first.

Regardless, I'm glad Thornburg is pitching...I hope he finds some success over there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I dunno. Correlation does not always equal causation. You never have an injury history until you do so Thornburg saying he never had problems doesn't mean he never would have. He has a pretty goofy delivery that opens up his shoulder quite a bit. That could have had something to do with it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 months later...
It should also be noted that both players we've been able to find so far as trade comps for Thorny had underwhelming results or almost no results due to injury in the season following their trades, offering a snapshot of the volatility exhibited by all relievers, but especially ones with a limited record of consistent results.

Always fun reading back through these old threads.

Archived