Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg traded to Boston for 3B Travis Shaw, SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca

patrickgpe
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO: Go to the 14:35 minute mark and listen to Boston Sports Radio 98.5's Tony Massarotti lament the Travis Shaw deal.

And in the brief clip, there is no formal acknowledgement of Mauricio Dubon's start, including leading the Southern League in steals (15-for-18), nor yet-to-debut Josh Pennington, nor the soon-to-be-named PTBNL.

This deal always looked good from the Brewers end because Travis Shaw had a legitimate chance to be a starting caliber 3B. If that happen(s)(ed) he will match the kind of value Thornburg gives as a reliever before factoring anyone else in. Add in a flashy prospect in Dubon plus two others and that is where the deal goes from a decent swap to getting surplus value.

That being said I think some vastly underrate Tyler Thornburg. He was an elite reliever last year and someone who provides huge value even though he doesn't play often.

This deal always looked good from the Brewers end because Travis Shaw had a legitimate chance to be a starting caliber 3B. If that happen(s)(ed) he will match the kind of value Thornburg gives as a reliever before factoring anyone else in. Add in a flashy prospect in Dubon plus two others and that is where the deal goes from a decent swap to getting surplus value.

That being said I think some vastly underrate Tyler Thornburg. He was an elite reliever last year and someone who provides huge value even though he doesn't play often.

Thornburg seemed to have stretches where he looked like he was in that elite league of relievers....then he'd have a poor stretch, injury, rinse and repeat. I'm glad they were able to get rid of him when they did(obviously).

And Shaw WAS almost as throw in as mentioned in the clip that Hass posted.

Shaw is a just a guy who happened to have a hot start. I'd like to see him over a full season as he seems to be a very streaky hitter and his D is replacement level. Dubon is OPSing 658 in AA with 9 errors.

What makes this trade a clear win for the Brewers at the moment is because Thornburg hasn't pitched. Assuming Thornburg pitches we will know more.

Wasn't the PTBNL suppose to be named yesterday? I guess we should hear something today

Nope, the poster that wrote that was a month off. Six months after the trade takes us til June 6th. Which, while it's difficult for us who are impatient to find out how it turns out, hopefully it's a good thing if DS does get his pick from a list and he has another month to see how players are progressing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nope, the poster that wrote that was a month off. Six months after the trade takes us til June 6th.

Crud. That almost ensures one more painful discussion about how good the PTBNL if he is worth $100... :(

This is a narrative I wish people would stop getting wrong about Shaw

"Like Sandoval, he was much better against right-handed pitchers than left-handed ones."

*sigh*

career vs RHP - .250/.316/.442/.758

career vs LHP - .259/.296/.495/.792

People keep saying he's not good vs. lefties, should be platooned, etc, etc, etc, which is false and wrong. Just because someone is left handed does not mean they fit easily into that category of "Bad Versus Lefties".

And Mass, I'm (obviously, hopefully) not aiming this rant at you. Just... the writer didn't do his homework, and this narrative keeps getting repeated.

This is a narrative I wish people would stop getting wrong about Shaw

"Like Sandoval, he was much better against right-handed pitchers than left-handed ones."

*sigh*

career vs RHP - .250/.316/.442/.758

career vs LHP - .259/.296/.495/.792

People keep saying he's not good vs. lefties, should be platooned, etc, etc, etc, which is false and wrong. Just because someone is left handed does not mean they fit easily into that category of "Bad Versus Lefties".

And Mass, I'm (obviously, hopefully) not aiming this rant at you. Just... the writer didn't do his homework, and this narrative keeps getting repeated.

The writer seems to have been referencing 2016.

"Like Sandoval, he was much better against right-handed pitchers than left-handed ones. His second-half slide prevented the Sox from seeing him as a long-term solution at first base."

He hit .187 versus lefties last year - so that is what he was talking about.

And if you look at his upper minor league numbers the last few years, his batting against lefties was not great.

2015 (AAA) - .232

2014 (AAA) - .189

2014 (AA) - .272

2013 (AA) - .230

I certainly not pinning him as a platoon bat - he hit lefties well in 2015 - and has been doing great this year. Plus, even when he's struggled against lefties, his power has been solid.

Boston saw him hit .187 against lefties last year - I can see where they would be concerned - and how people might believe he was a platoon type. I'm just glad Boston was willing to give up on him so quickly. I just hope he keeps up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...

Evan Drellich‏Verified account @EvanDrellich 20m20 minutes ago

Sources: a young Red Sox shortstop prospect, Yeison Coca, is headed to the Brewers. It's completion of Tyler Thornburg trade.

Drew Silva

‏Verified account @drewsilv 1m1 minute ago

Tyler Thornburg haul for Brewers ...

Shaw: 10 HR, 40 RBI

Dubon: 25 SB in 56 gms at AA

Pennington: 2.29 minors ERA

Dude named Yeison Coca

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=665883#/career/R/hitting/2016/ALL

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/coca-yeison.htm

Milwaukee Brewers‏Verified account @Brewers 20s21 seconds ago

INF Yeison Coca (Yay-son) has been acquired from Boston to complete the December 2016 trade involving 3B Travis Shaw & RHP Tyler Thornburg.

Milwaukee Brewers‏Verified account @Brewers 1m1 minute ago

More

Newly-acquired INF Yeison Coca entered the season as Boston's 25th-best prospect according to @BaseballAmerica. Assigned to Extended Spring.

Honorable mention in top 15 prospect list via Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-15-prospects-boston-red-sox-2/

Yeison Coca, SS – I’m not sure there’s an adult-sized jersey that will fit Coca, who was drowning in his instructional-league garb last fall. It’s a good baseball body, though, and there’s some bat speed, but Coca’s swings from both sides of the plate need polish that could come with increased physicality. He has good defensive footwork and actions, is twitchy and athletic, and should fit at shortstop provided he grows into a little bit more arm strength.

Alex Speier‏ @alexspeier 1m1 minute ago

With Dubon out of the org, I had Coca as the Sox' second-best middle-infield prospect, behind only C.J. Chatham.

Archived