Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg traded to Boston for 3B Travis Shaw, SS Mauricio Dubon, RHP Josh Pennington, SS Yeison Coca

patrickgpe
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been wondering about that too. From everything I remember reading at the time it seemed like it was going to be an actual player, so I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I can't find the tweet right off hand, but Mass Haas confirmed that the PTBNL has not been decided upon, and they have until early May to decide.

If it's the equivalent worth of $100 cash, I wouldn't get too excited.

I can't find the tweet right off hand, but Mass Haas confirmed that the PTBNL has not been decided upon, and they have until early May to decide.

If it's the equivalent worth of $100 cash, I wouldn't get too excited.

I don't think it's the equivalent worth of $100:

According to The Associated Press, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said he and Brewers general manager David Stearns were so sure that there would be no problems with the deal that they wrote down $100 just for the sake of technicality. “They usually don’t like when you make it $1,” Dombrowski said, “so we made it $100.”

http://nesn.com/2016/12/red-sox-send-brewers-100-as-final-piece-of-tyler-thornburg-deal/

It's interesting that they're taking so long to announce it. Maybe they want to make sure the potential targets come out of ST healthy?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Fair enough, maybe I just don't really get the process. I don't see how it could be anyone of value, because if it was I don't understand what would be stopping Dombrowski from just not agreeing to it and sending 100 bucks instead after nothing could be agreed upon.

Players to be named later aren't typically agreed upon by both teams at a later date.

For Manny Pina in the K-Rod deal, I believe he was always the player Stearns wanted, but he was a PTBNL because Stearns wanted to make sure he wasn't selected in the Rule 5 draft first.

With Ryan Cordell, he was coming back from injury and I think the Brewers wanted to see some signs that he was going to heal and come back from injury before committing to him. He never did come back from injury last year but I guess Stearns saw enough that he was still interested.

We lost Michael Brantley in the CC Sabathia trade because we made the playoffs that year, and if that happened, then Brantley would be the PTBNL, otherwise it would've been someone lesser (can't remember if that was made public who that was).

So basically, there are various rules that could apply to a PTBNL. There's a couple guys on a list somewhere, and we'll be getting one of those based on some metric I would guess (maybe if Thornburg starts the year healthy and in the pen, we get a better player? Health could be a concern for him). Maybe if Thornburg blows out his arm in ST, we only get $100. Could be a lot of things.

I'm honestly surprised there's a PTBNL at all in that deal, it seems like we got pretty fair value for Thornburg with the 3 guys we got (especially excited about Dubon).

Fair enough, maybe I just don't really get the process. I don't see how it could be anyone of value, because if it was I don't understand what would be stopping Dombrowski from just not agreeing to it and sending 100 bucks instead after nothing could be agreed upon.

Right, I mean Stearn's leverage in the negotiation for the PTBML is $100, right? .... unless there's more to it, its someone that is basically worthless to Boston.

Right, I mean Stearn's leverage in the negotiation for the PTBML is $100, right? .... unless there's more to it, its someone that is basically worthless to Boston.

Technically that might be true, but if there were specifications set out in advance and the Red Sox go back on them, it could limit their ability to make deals that include a PTBNL in the future because other GMs wouldn't trust them.

I think people are misinterpreting how the "or cash" part of the transaction works. I don't think it's likely it's within Boston's rights to demand we take the cash instead of a player at this point. As others have noted, most times the player (or group of players to decide between) is already decided at this point, the cash part is just a technicality in case of some extreme situation like all the players involved have career ending injuries. The way it was stated it seems like they're required to include some sort of cash value in the PTBNL transaction (anyone know if this is correct?).

I don't expect the prospect to be anything major, considering we got a pretty good haul regardless, but I don't think you can read anything into the cash value amount.

Pretty sure MrAllen is right - if $1 or $100 were really on the table, it would be a waste of time to include that in the deal at all. The value of time it took for Dombrowski/Stearns to agree to that clause, combined with the cost of drafting the documentation for the clause, far far exceed $100. There is no benefit to its existence, except as a backstop to completing the trade in case all the players on the list decided to move to Tibet and join a monastery rather than play for the Brewers.

I guess it's also not outside the realm of possibility that the Brewers could decide to take the $100 if they change their minds about the players on the list, and that they'd come out less behind by taking the $100, as opposed to spending time and resources on developing one of the players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think people are misinterpreting how the "or cash" part of the transaction works. I don't think it's likely it's within Boston's rights to demand we take the cash instead of a player at this point. As others have noted, most times the player (or group of players to decide between) is already decided at this point, the cash part is just a technicality in case of some extreme situation like all the players involved have career ending injuries. The way it was stated it seems like they're required to include some sort of cash value in the PTBNL transaction (anyone know if this is correct?).

I don't expect the prospect to be anything major, considering we got a pretty good haul regardless, but I don't think you can read anything into the cash value amount.

Exactly, I'm pretty sure that the players are selected and the Brewers have the pick. If they don't like any of them (if they are all injured), then they take the $100. Boston doesn't have any say in it anymore.

• 1 month later...
Anyone want to speculate on the PTBNL for Thornburg? May 6th will be 6 months so it will have to be announced in the next month. I am guessing another pitcher and looking at their lower levels, Denyi Reyes looks like someone that would interest Stearns. 20 Years old and has remarkable control. In the past 2 years he's thrown 88 strikeouts compared to just 7 walks in 109 innings. Won't over power, but has control of 3 pitches in FB, CH and CB. http://www.soxprospects.com/players/reyes-denyi.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Mccalvy: Brewers, Dodgers have 6 mos. to set PTBNL or cash in the Roache trade, Stearns said. Thornburg PTBNL is still pending, too. One more month.

Verified Member
I'm not getting too excited about the PTBNL, because if it was at all dependent on Thornburg, it won't be much, since he's hurt.

Even before Thornburg got hurt it was PTBNL or $100. That alone should tell you about the quality of the player coming back.

Archived