Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2016)

LouisEly
Driving--Okay, I've previously stated my hatred of drivers that can't use turn signals for turns or lane changes. A more recent peeve is my frustration with people making left turns that choose to not pull out into the intersection. If they pull out into the intersection, then a) the turn is much shorter to get into the proper lane (the inner lane), and b) it allows another car behind them to enter the intersection to legally turn on yellow.

I completely agree with this and I believe I have stated the same frustration in previous "What's bugging you" threads. This and drivers that will not go around cars that are turning left (when the car turning left is waiting for a line of cars coming from the other direction).

The follow up posts to DHonks original post are interesting. The law in Wisconsin still allows you to go into the intersection, correct? It seems like I have seen the "don't pull into the intersection more and more over the last 10 to 15 years, to the point where I'm surprised when some actually pulls out into the intersection (although they never pull out far enough). Interesting about the California law. Motorcyles are allowed to drive between cars, but you can't pull into an intersection when waiting to make a left hand turn. Yeah, makes sense.

While we are on the subject of left hand turns, why does it always seem to take so long for the 1st car to initiate their left hand turn once the green arrow comes on! Also, why is it so hard for the cars following to keep up with the cars in front of them so that, again, more people are able to make the left turn. Furthermore, why are there always 2-3 cars that continue to make left hand turns long after the green arrow is gone (I sometimes feel like they are not even looking at the light, they are just blindly following the car in front of them).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While we are on the subject of left hand turns, why does it always seem to take so long for the 1st car to initiate their left hand turn once the green arrow comes on! Also, why is it so hard for the cars following to keep up with the cars in front of them so that, again, more people are able to make the left turn. Furthermore, why are there always 2-3 cars that continue to make left hand turns long after the green arrow is gone (I sometimes feel like they are not even looking at the light, they are just blindly following the car in front of them).

People are stupid. That is the answer to most questions.

Some great examples guys! Weird that in Arizona a car is prohibited from turning into a more "rightward" lane, yet I'm often the only one on the road turning into the proper lame. Today I was in the right of two lanes that turn left, and the inside car turned into the outside lane causing me to hit the brakes and lay on the horn.

While we are on the subject of left hand turns, why does it always seem to take so long for the 1st car to initiate their left hand turn once the green arrow comes on!

Probably because most people can not sit idle for more than 5 seconds without being engaged with their hand held devices, so my guess is that most people are on their phones.

I must say, seeing the amount of people on their phones, and/or looking down at their phones while driving absolutely 100% disgusts me. People have become so selfish and self-absorbed that they no longer care about the safety of anyone around them.

Cell phones are an addiction, possibly worse than any other addiction, mainly because everyone has one, and the majority of people I come into contact with can't separate themselves from them for more than a few minutes at a time...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator

Self-driving cars can't come soon enough. Distracted driving is a problem everywhere. So is lack of turn signals.

The driving in Miami was by far the worst that I ever experienced, anywhere. Wisconsin drivers are generally pretty good, but they easily get ticked off, don't do well in heavy traffic, and don't know how to zipper merge (maybe that's changed in the last 6 years?). From what I recall, everyone would try to merge too far ahead and then not let people in who were actually following the rules and staying in their lane until the end.

Seattle has the best drivers of anywhere I've lived, but the awful traffic more than makes up for that.

^^ This one. If people pull out and turn when the arrow turns green, it can make a difference of two more cars making it through the intersection. I'd much rather that people get their butts going on green than I would like to see them try to extend a yellow light… or as Patrick says, extend a green arrow. If two or three cars try to go through once the light is red, all that does is screw things up for traffic going in the other direction.

My dad and I had the discussion about pulling out for a left turn from the time I was 16 until the day he died. We were taught in driver's ed not to do it, and he took the opposite view. Having said that, I pull out unless I think it's a dangerous or fruitless endeavor. That happened to me today at 27th and Wisconsin. I was headed northbound on 27th and wanted to turn west onto Wisconsin. Oncoming traffic was heavy and fast. I knew that if I pulled out, I'd be sitting in the intersection on red way too long. Plus, I knew I'd have a green arrow soon enough and that I'd be fine.

owbc, Wisconsin drivers have gotten much better with the zipper, but it only takes one or two drivers not following the signs to mess things up. I wish we'd have zipper signs in some places that aren't construction zones. The lane reduction on northbound I-43 just north of Silver Spring comes to mind.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If you're driving the posted speed limit, you are almost certainly the slowest car on the road.

What's annoying is when drivers deviate too much from the speed of the traffic flow. That could be driving either too fast or too slowly. Cars that weave through traffic to try to gain an extra couple of mph are a drag. On the other side of the coin, when traffic on the Kennedy Expressway happens to be moving, it tends to go about 60 mph. The posted speed is 55, so that's fine. However, it's guaranteed that there'll be one vehicle in the midst of everyone that's going 45 or lower.

Having said that, if you're driving on 76th Street near the Greendale Community Center, I absolutely recommend going the speed limit or a little below despite what traffic is doing. Law enforcement is hot and heavy on that particular stretch. There are big hills on the north and south ends of that segment. If you start your descent at a little below the limit, you'll end up slightly above the limit at the bottom of the hills, which should be good enough to satisfy the police. That beats being a lot above the limit and potentially running into trouble.

On the subject of driving, why don't people slow down in construction zones? I've seen in in other places, but I often use 41 south so I really notice it there. In general, the traffic is moving at 75 in a 70 north of Germantown. You hit the construction zone with reduced speed limit signs, and most people continue to go 75.

I don't get it, you're not willing to go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit when it's 70, but willing to go far over the speed limit in a construction zone? Where the fines are doubled? Safety aside, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

On the subject of driving, why don't people slow down in construction zones? I've seen in in other places, but I often use 41 south so I really notice it there. In general, the traffic is moving at 75 in a 70 north of Germantown. You hit the construction zone with reduced speed limit signs, and most people continue to go 75.

I don't get it, you're not willing to go more than 5 MPH over the speed limit when it's 70, but willing to go far over the speed limit in a construction zone? Where the fines are doubled? Safety aside, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

FVBrewerFan, I hear what your saying and I agree with you to a point. If there is very little traffic (like maybe I'm driving through the Zoo interchange early on a Sunday morning on my way to play golf or something), then I actually set my cruise control to about 5-7 mph over the posted limit (and alter it if the speed limit changes) and let what ever other cars that are on the road zoom by me if they want. I'll be honest. That's not really so much for safety reasons as it is that I feel like there is a much higher chance to get pulled over when there are fewer cars on the road. However, most of my driving is on weekdays during high volume traffic times in the morning and late afternoons to and from Waukesha and Milwaukee. In that case I'm just going with the flow of traffic (in a construction zone or not). I don't want to be the car during those times that is going 10-15 mph slower than everyone else and making everyone else try to maneuver around me. To me, that's more dangerous than just keeping up with the general flow of traffic.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yea, I generally "drive with the flow" as well. In fact, in some parts of the country that could mean 80-85. (If anyone has ever driven between LA and Vegas.) But I refuse to push it in construction zones. The fines are just too high, and with my luck I would be the one pulled over- even in busy traffic. And I've learned the hard way "everyone else is doing it" doesn't get me very far ; )

While we are on the subject of left hand turns, why does it always seem to take so long for the 1st car to initiate their left hand turn once the green arrow comes on!

Probably because most people can not sit idle for more than 5 seconds without being engaged with their hand held devices, so my guess is that most people are on their phones.

I must say, seeing the amount of people on their phones, and/or looking down at their phones while driving absolutely 100% disgusts me. People have become so selfish and self-absorbed that they no longer care about the safety of anyone around them.

Cell phones are an addiction, possibly worse than any other addiction, mainly because everyone has one, and the majority of people I come into contact with can't separate themselves from them for more than a few minutes at a time...

I am clearly in the minority, as I still have a flip phone from, like, 10 years ago. I have no plans of upgrading any time soon.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think smart phones are more of an addiction for the 25 and under crowd as that is mostly all that they have ever used. I sometimes wonder how new college grads actually make it through job interviews since no one has to actually talk on the phone or to someone's face anymore. It would make an awesome drinking game to see how many people 25 and under at a brewer game you can find on their phone during a half inning. I'd be plastered.

I have a smart phone but if I am driving I have no intention of ever looking at it.

I think smart phones are more of an addiction for the 25 and under crowd as that is mostly all that they have ever used.

Actually, I think the age goes up to 60, seriously. I have noticed this in public places, tons of people much older than the 20s crowd are glued to their phones. In fact, women in their 30s and 40s seem to be the worst offenders in my un-scientific findings. (Including while driving.)

With people over 30 (and I'm 35), I see way too many people holding their phones infront of their faces while driving or operating with two hands. I don't care if someone takes a brief look at their phone while at a stoplight, but too many are driving with phones by their faces.

Bigger question for me...Why do I see so many people each day driving modern cars with their phones up to their ears or held by their faces on speakerphone? Most cars have included bluetooth as a standard feature for several years now. Many have voice activated calling. Are people just too oblivious or ignorant to take the 2 minutes to pair their phone with their car? I understand it I see someone driving a pre-2010 car, but in Scottsdale those are the minority.

Bigger question for me...Why do I see so many people each day driving modern cars with their phones up to their ears or held by their faces on speakerphone? Most cars have included bluetooth as a standard feature for several years now. Many have voice activated calling. Are people just too oblivious or ignorant to take the 2 minutes to pair their phone with their car? I understand it I see someone driving a pre-2010 car, but in Scottsdale those are the minority.

Good point.

Actually in my last car, I knew I was not driving and using my phone responsibly all the time. I was glancing down at my phone too much to make calls (I wasn't texting or anything like that). I ended up getting an OEM bluetooth unit installed and that fixed my bad driving habit.

My current car has phone pairing and voice calling built in. I think most cars do nowadays. People need to take the time to pair their phone, though. I wonder if some just don't know how to do it, or maybe they just don't care enough to ask their dealer?

I have to drive on I-94 fairly often, and it's insane the amount of distracted drivers that are on the road. I observed a man last week driving under the speed limit. As I went past him, I saw in my rearview mirror that he was eating something with a spoon! Ice cream? Cereal? I don't know, but that type of behavior is beyond stupid.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In fact, in some parts of the country that could mean 80-85.

I have very little interest in driving over 80. But roads that are actually marked with speeds that high likely have traffic levels low enough that they should be able to accommodate a wider variation of vehicle speeds. I'll drive in the upper 70s on parts of the Tri-State Tollway. I think that takes my smaller car to its limit. My humongous car can likely go faster, but still, I don't know that I'd want to do that.

One of the more frustrating roads is I-41/94 in Racine and Kenosha counties. It's frequently difficult to go the posted 70mph, even though traffic levels would seem to indicate that one probably should be able to. Part of the issue is that many drivers seem to have little concept of slower traffic to the right and faster traffic to the left. I find myself changing lanes much more than I'd like to, and I'm in the left lane much more than I'd be on most roads. It's particularly bad in Racine County, where the road is old and only has three lanes in each direction.

Most cars have included bluetooth as a standard feature for several years now. Many have voice activated calling.

Studies are indicating that hands-free is dangerous too and that the safety difference between hands-free and handheld usage is negligible. Of course, fiddling with buttons can't be good. But the acts of simply talking on the phone or using voice activation take one's mind off the road. The National Safety Council claims that drivers can miss seeing up to 50% of what's around them by talking on any type of phone. They also suggest that voice to text is actually worse than punching the buttons.

FWIW, Illinois prohibits all cell phone usage — both handheld and hands-free — in construction zones. Signage makes that pretty clear, so you won't be taken by surprise.

GPS has me in a quandary. It makes sense that verbal directions are safer than being lost or attempting to pinpoint your destination on a busy road where all buildings look more or less alike. On the other hand, it's annoying being yelled at. And it's particularly bad when the directions tell me something that I don't expect to hear. The best I can come up with is to check the map first so I'm not completely relying on the GPS's voice. If I have a passenger, I pass off GPS duties to him or her.

A lot of car radios have a nanny mechanism that makes certain features unavailable when the vehicle is moving. While I'm all for being safe and not taking on more than the driver can handle, I think the idea of a built-in nanny goes too far. For one thing, the passenger has a hand and a brain available to operate the controls. Also, the manufacturers don't seem to have a logical way to decide what's safe and what isn't. In one radio I looked at, I can't hit two buttons in sequence to turn off the rear speakers while the car is moving. But I'd be allowed to use the much more complicated fader control to accomplish the same task.

An obvious question to me is, why on earth do so many people feel the need to talk on the phone, hands on or hands off, while driving a car.

I never do it, never.

I sure as heck wouldn't even consider texting while driving.

We have become so self-important, that we can't be away from human contact long enough to get in our cars and drive, and I find that sad.

I feel I am at risk every time I get into my vehicle, and worse yet, I feel my family is at risk.

About 2 weeks ago, I was waiting for traffic, and exiting a shopko express here in Appleton. A lady driving down the road in a black SUV was talking on her phone, probably doing about 35 mph. Right in front of me, and for no reason at all, she drove up onto the curb. DROVE RIGHT UP ONTO THE CURVE, where 20 seconds earlier, 3 people were walking down that sidewalk. She drove so far onto it that had she done it when those people were there, she would have hit at least two of them. This happened right in front of me, it would have been terrible. Throughout the entire situation, she remained on her phone, probably laughing to the person she was talking to about driving up on a curb. I can't tell you how much I wish a cop would have seen that. It disgusted me...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1992casey, I've driven several times from Phoenix to Montana, and I love the 85mph zones in Idaho and/or Utah. Also, most of the highways in Arizona are wide open, with several having 75mph zones. But I have no desire to go more than 10 over on a highway.

and turborickey, remember that many people have jobs that rely on being mobile. Contractors, repairmen, etc need cell-phones to do their jobs in the modern economy. As a teacher, I see every day that parents and kids often don't communicate enough without their phones. Instead of saying "I'll pick you up at 2:30 at this spot," they communicate that they are "on the way" or "waiting."

Community Moderator
I have to make calls for work sometimes on the run. I try not to that much, but sometimes I need to. I also like to make calls in my car because I'm very busy and that's when I can knock off things like scheduling a doctor's appointment or scheduling something for the house. I do not text and drive and try to use siri for just about everything so I don't even have to look at my phone.

I have to make calls for work sometimes on the run. I try not to that much, but sometimes I need to. I also like to make calls in my car because I'm very busy and that's when I can knock off things like scheduling a doctor's appointment or scheduling something for the house. I do not text and drive and try to use siri for just about everything so I don't even have to look at my phone.

I make and take business related calls in the car a lot. I try to keep the conversations while I'm driving somewhat limited. Often I'll find some place to pull over if it's going to be a longer phone call.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think some of it might be because so often a "construction zone" looks nothing like a construction zone. My first speeding ticket I got was for doing 64 in a 55 construction zone. I was last in a line of cars, so there were others going as fast or faster than me, and there was no actual construction going on. There were orange barrels but no people, equipment, or any signs of work. I haven't been on I43 in a while but the last time I was there were a few stretches for miles with reduced speed for construction zones that were similar and no one was slowing down. I was because I always do since I got the ticket.

I get what you are saying Casey about even hands free talking being distracting and there is probably some truth to that, but then you could also probably make the same case for talking to passengers in the car. There are so many times when I see two people in a car having a conversation and the driver keeps looking over at the passenger has he/she is talking to him/her. I don't understand this need to have to look at the person you are talking to while you are driving. The occasional glance, maybe.

DHonks, I also often wonder why so many people do not use blue tooth. As you mentioned, its pretty much standard in most cars now.

In regards to texting, the things I have seen on my way to and from work every day are incredible. Not just the eyes up and down, phone in front of the face, thumb working away..but there have been a few occasions I have seen where cars have been going about 10 mph under the speed limit in the middle lane, cars speeding around them as they are pretty much lounged in their car texting as if they are sitting on their living room couch, maybe looking up in front of them every 10 or 15 seconds.

So, why is it that there are so many people that I talk to who are angered about texting and driving...yet it seems like the majority of people I see driving practice this horrible habit?

I think it's possible for a passenger to be very distracting. But I would hope that most reasonable passengers would recognize when a driver needs to keep his eyes and ears on the road and converse accordingly. On the other side of the coin, passengers can be helpful in touchy situations by pointing out hazards, helping with blind spots, and whatnot. Of course, there's a line between what's helpful and what isn't. The habitual backseat driver isn't helpful.

I think that one thing that's important to realize is that drivers aren't the best judges of whether or not they're distracted. They can recognize when something's really bad and say to themselves, "Hey self, I'm not paying attention to the road." But it likely takes a lot less than that to actually be distracted.

I'm not suggesting that people cut out all hands-free calling. But I do think its use should be limited, and I think that some drivers could cut out many hours of calls. When I think of some of the phone conversations I overhear in public places, it becomes apparent that many calls can wait.

My biggest complaint is when people feel that hands-free whatever is "safe." That's a false sense of security. Drivers need to realize that it's a distraction and that under certain driving conditions, the calls should wait.

I agree that there's no excuse for not pairing a phone. It can easily be done via either the phone or radio. And because most car radios can handle multiple devices, it's an option even if you borrow someone else's vehicle. For those who truly can't handle it, go to the dealer or radio installer and let them do it.

Interestingly, one writer suggests that the answer to all this technology is to have more technology. We now have cruise controls that adjust based on the speed of the car ahead. Crash sensors are coming into the picture. And backup cameras will be required in all vehicles starting in 2018.

My personal issue is what to do about my two older cars. They drive like they're new, and I have no desire to replace them. One of them is old enough that it actually has a tape deck. I need to decide if it's a responsible expenditure to upgrade one or both of their radios to something that's appropriate to this decade.

Community Moderator
I sometimes lay on the horn when I see a bad texting incident. It really fires me up! They usually jump and swerve, thinking they are about to hit something. Which they probably will at some point. I can't believe how clueless some people are.

Archived