Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2016)

LouisEly
Bugs me when people rip into something without seeing the bigger picture.

I'm convinced if someone set out a document with the cure for cancer, the very first thing some people would do is point out the spelling mistake on page 7.

It's called big picture.

I think it's some people's way of trying to feel important (hey, look what I found!). If they can denigrate something it hurts someone else - and thus makes them feel better.

But it's so petty.

Empathy is a skill that people seem to be slowly losing in the United States. I'm not sure exactly why.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I may be developing a bit of an addiction to ZQuill, the sleeping medicine. I don't have any cravings to take it, but the times I don't it'll take me several hours to get to sleep.

I recommend melatonin, specifically the tablets that dissolve under your tongue. You can get them at just about any place that has a decent size vitamin selection - any large pharmacy, mass merchandiser, large chain grocery store. It's more of a natural sleep inducer.

I love having to pay for the problems that other people cause.

[sarcasm]What do you mean? You moved to St. Louis and now Chicago. Why man...why? :tongue[/sarcasm]

Four months of unemployment and five months of job searching will cause you to do irrational things...

I think I may be developing a bit of an addiction to ZQuill, the sleeping medicine. I don't have any cravings to take it, but the times I don't it'll take me several hours to get to sleep.

I recommend melatonin, specifically the tablets that dissolve under your tongue. You can get them at just about any place that has a decent size vitamin selection - any large pharmacy, mass merchandiser, large chain grocery store. It's more of a natural sleep inducer.

Melatonin is what works for me. I take the regular tablets. Most times I'm drowsy in about 15 minutes. Only use Nyquil when I'm sick or I just can't fell asleep.

I use a fan. White noise and cool air...I'm out in minutes. I had trouble sleeping while switching between night and day shifts every couple months while in the army. The fan works great for me.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Melatonin is what works for me. I take the regular tablets. Most times I'm drowsy in about 15 minutes. Only use Nyquil when I'm sick or I just can't fell asleep.

I found they got me to sleep right quick but a couple hours later I'd be wide awake from some bizarre nightmare. My 2¢.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I found they got me to sleep right quick but a couple hours later I'd be wide awake from some bizarre nightmare. My 2¢.

Correct. Melatonin will only help you get to sleep, it won't keep you asleep. Your body generally starts making Melatonin when the sun goes down. TV and other screens (phone, tablet) have been known to interfere with that and prevent your body from making it.

Samsung just came out with a setting on the Note7s (no, it didn't burn up on me) that limit the amount of blue light emitted from the device to help prevent this effect. I don't use my phone at night much, so I didn't notice. Now my Samsung S7 doesn't have that setting.

Samsung just came out with a setting on the Note7s (no, it didn't burn up on me) that limit the amount of blue light emitted from the device to help prevent this effect.

The 9.7 inch iPad Pro and the newest iPhones have it too. Apple calls it "Night Shift." You can set it to turn automatically every evening, or you can enable it manually "until tomorrow." I've been manually enabling it on my iPad. I don't know how much good it does as far as sleep is concerned, but it's easier on the eyes in dark conditions.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Interesting. I always read that if you are having trouble sleeping in the middle of the night, don't get up and check your email or browse the internet. I also read not to turn on lights or watch TV. Do light and TV also have the same effect on melatonin (I fall asleep all the time while watching TV)? I just thought this was said more from a don't stimulate the brain if you are having trouble sleeping standpoint. Although, maybe that's really the same thing. So, then is it also better to a read physical book at night as opposed to an e-book?

My wife and I have always run a fan at night at low speed. However, we now have a 16 year old senile cat that wants to howl in the middle of the night and jump on and off the bed while doing so. So, now we turn the fan on high and close the bedroom door. Its working like a charm.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Samsung just came out with a setting on the Note7s (no, it didn't burn up on me) that limit the amount of blue light emitted from the device to help prevent this effect.

The 9.7 inch iPad Pro and the newest iPhones have it too. Apple calls it "Night Shift." You can set it to turn automatically every evening, or you can enable it manually "until tomorrow." I've been manually enabling it on my iPad. I don't know how much good it does as far as sleep is concerned, but it's easier on the eyes in dark conditions.

My wife does that to her phone but it hurts my eyes to look at it. I just have my screen brightness turned all the way down.

Upon further review, Night Shift is available on Apple devices with 64-bit processors, i.e. iPhone 5s or later, iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, iPad mini 2 or later, and iPod touch (6th generation).. To get it right, move the slider around between "Less Warm" and "More Warm." You might also want to adjust the screen brightness. During warmer weather, I liked using it outdoors after dark.

It's True Tone that's available on the newest devices. That's also very nice, and it's something that's designed to be enabled all the time. The color temperature of the screen adjusts itself to the color temperature of the surrounding environment like a piece of paper would. An exception that might cause one to turn True Tone off would be detailed editing of the colors in photos. That's probably a more professional edit than most of us here would do.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Do light and TV also have the same effect on melatonin (I fall asleep all the time while watching TV)?

Yes, but each person is effected differently of course. Your body may still produce it despite light. But if you are having problems getting to sleep, avoiding screen time can help.

Pancreatitis: 72 hours after being admitted and now onto liquid diets. Everybody is asking if I'm an alcoholic because that's one of the biggest reasons for pancreatitis. Not sure how many times I can say no before they believe me.

I went through the exact same thing a few years ago, stalton. I didn't know why they kept asking me about drinking. I rarely if ever drink. When I finally was released, I spoke to a DR. friend of mine whose first question was "They all thought you were an alcoholic, didn't they?"

Sorry you had to go through that, painful, and gut rest is miserable. I've not had a recurrence, hope you don't either.

I understand the reasoning for the questions (the top 2 reasons being alcohol and gallstones and I showed no signs of gallstones) but at some point they need to look elsewhere. That being said, when I was released they never did figure out why I did develop the acute pancreatitis.

My Dr. buddy told me that 85% of cases are due to alcoholism/gallstones. The other 15% is a mystery. Not a good answer, but it is what it is. I guess we fall in the 15%

Since I'm diabetic I've read that being diabetic increases your chances of pancreatitis. I've never looked up the numbers but it surprises me that diabetes isn't the #1 or at least high on the list of causes.

Cook County just passed a "soda tax", similar to what some other cities have done. This I have no issue with. I do have an issue with the fact that it is not just soda, it includes iced tea and lemonade. It's a penny per ounce, which doesn't sound like much, until you factor that it takes my ~$3 gallon of diet green tea - of which I have a glass every morning - and turns it into $4.28. (It's 25 miles from where I work to Woodman's in Kenosha... I wonder what the break-even point is on the number of gallons I have to buy.) Beverages are already taxed at a supplemental 3% on top of sales tax - a total of 13.25% - adding another $0.40 to my green tea.

Isn't green tea supposed to be healthy for you?

The biggest issue I have is that my diet green tea is far, far healthier than sugary things that aren't taxed. A 12 oz. can of regular soda has about 40 grams of sugar, or about 3.33 grams/ounce. Just about every flavored version of Chobani Greek Yogurt has about 15 grams of sugar in it per 5.3 ounce cup, or about 2.83 grams of sugar per ounce. So 3.33 grams/oz gets taxed but 2.83 does not?

My diet green tea is taxed at a penny per ounce, but Chobani Greek Yogurt isn't taxed? Really??

Cook County just passed a "soda tax", similar to what some other cities have done. This I have no issue with. I do have an issue with the fact that it is not just soda, it includes iced tea and lemonade. It's a penny per ounce, which doesn't sound like much, until you factor that it takes my ~$3 gallon of diet green tea - of which I have a glass every morning - and turns it into $4.28. (It's 25 miles from where I work to Woodman's in Kenosha... I wonder what the break-even point is on the number of gallons I have to buy.) Beverages are already taxed at a supplemental 3% on top of sales tax - a total of 13.25% - adding another $0.40 to my green tea.

Isn't green tea supposed to be healthy for you?

The biggest issue I have is that my diet green tea is far, far healthier than sugary things that aren't taxed. A 12 oz. can of regular soda has about 40 grams of sugar, or about 3.33 grams/ounce. Just about every flavored version of Chobani Greek Yogurt has about 15 grams of sugar in it per 5.3 ounce cup, or about 2.83 grams of sugar per ounce. So 3.33 grams/oz gets taxed but 2.83 does not?

My diet green tea is taxed at a penny per ounce, but Chobani Greek Yogurt isn't taxed? Really??

You expected the government to do something that makes sense?

LouisEly, that's funny and crazy at the same time. But anything diet isn't good for you as well--it has a sweetener and those are reported to be worse than real sugar for people. Brewing green tea on your own would be best. It's much cheaper than your store-bought tea, and better for you.

I love that CVS doesn't sell tobacco products now, but they sell candy, soda, ice cream, and alcohol.

Archived