Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2016)

LouisEly
At this point I think folks should go over to the BF Political Scene website if they wish to continue this discussion, where it would probably be more appropriate.

Problem is, that site seems to be a bit "unstable". The last two times I visited that site (one two separate computers), I had a pop up message come up and then it suddenly took me to a different random web site. When I hit the back button, I was returned to political scene site, but I'm a bit hesitant to go on that site now.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure what you mean by twitch versus blink. My eyelids will occasionally twitch uncontrollably (but not blink), as will my triceps and knee, usually related to stress and lack of sleep.

It started as a rapid blink (mabe three) and we thought it was voluntary. Then his arms and hands started twitching at the same time as the blinking. Not just a muscle twitch, but more like when you are dreaming about falling and twitch/jump to wake up. His whole hand/arm would flinch about three times uncontrolled.

But things have been better since he stopped getting up to play games in the middle of the night. I guess he was doing it for about two months.

I don't like the hooded sweatshirt being worn as approved baseball dugout wear. I prefer the baseball jersey or jacket on top. To me, something that needs to be slipped on and off, over one's head is too casual.

I don't like the hooded sweatshirt being worn as approved baseball dugout wear. I prefer the baseball jersey or jacket on top. To me, something that needs to be slipped on and off, over one's head is too casual.

I made this same post in the playoff thread.

The jackets they wear are almost all pullovers. Are those too casual?

I hate Yield signs. It seems like there are only a few people in the world who know how to properly abide by the yield sign. Either people come to a complete stop when they don't need to or completely ignore the sign and don't look when they need to stop.

There is an organization that I've been volunteering with for about 8 years. When I first started with them they were a tiny group with one employee but they've since grown substantially and have several employees. During the times I've been unemployed I've given quite a bit of my time to them because I really like doing it and I really believe in what they do. Even when I couldn't physically be there I would talk them up when I could and have had family members and friends contribute and also spread the word about them.

They have a big annual fundraising event that I've been a part of and have played a pretty important role in and I've done this for every one they've had but the first one. Even though I was never in any sort of official leadership role for this event I was generally looked to for guidance, advise, and help because I'd been doing it longer than the actual employees and knew more about what was going on than they did in some cases. I loved doing it but I more loved getting to meet all the great people involved. I've made a lot of great friendships and this is the only time I ever get to see this people.

So I've been spending the last month or two trying to let the group know I'm available and I want to help again this year. I stopped in to talk to them in person but I was told we just filled up our volunteer spots today and then I was literally brushed aside like I was a bum off the street. I look forward to this every year and considering the amount of my time I have given to them over the years, to basically be told we don't want you is a real slap in the face.

So I've been spending the last month or two trying to let the group know I'm available and I want to help again this year. I stopped in to talk to them in person but I was told we just filled up our volunteer spots today and then I was literally brushed aside like I was a bum off the street. I look forward to this every year and considering the amount of my time I have given to them over the years, to basically be told we don't want you is a real slap in the face.

Sounds like they maybe have someone newer in a leadership position who is on a power trip. It really stinks for you. No one likes to be disregarded like that. Maybe it's time to find a different group to volunteer for.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sounds like they maybe have someone newer in a leadership position who is on a power trip. It really stinks for you. No one likes to be disregarded like that. Maybe it's time to find a different group to volunteer for.

No one new there in a while. The head people are really overworked, which is there own fault because they don't like to delegate, and this time of year they generally are flying by the seat of their pants having this event and their regular job duties to do. Every year after the event they've personally thanked me because having me around takes a lot of responsibilities off their shoulders and allows them to relax and tend to only the really important things that come up.

Not that I feel like I should get any special treatment nor anything is beneath me but the last couple years I feel like they've treated me as some "entry level" volunteer. While I was offering to help with more things and take on more responsibility I was asked to do things like empty the garbage cans and sweep. The POS for merchandise and donations is a pretty important place. I was one of the few volunteers who knew what they were doing an enjoyed it. Yet, last year they put people there who didn't know what they were doing and just weren't comfortable doing it. Eventually they just had me switch with them because it clearly wasn't working.

Sorry for the rant but this was just something that I really love and I've felt less and less appreciated there. But I guess I'm kind of glad that they've pushed me away instead of me having to chose to leave them. I just wish I knew why.

I did some volunteering for an organization in Madison back in 2013 while waiting for school to start. Had to stop for a while due to full-time MBA program, but when I was job searching after graduating I reached back out to them to inquire about helping some more. Never got a response. Was on their email announcement distribution list but that stopped too.

My auto insurance increased by 50% when I moved from Madison to St. Louis.

With moving to Chicago, it is scheduled to increase by another 50%.

The annual insurance premium will be almost 15% of the value of the vehicle.

Same driver, same vehicle, haven't had an accident in 15 years or a ticket in 8 years.

I love having to pay for the problems that other people cause.

The real shame is the fact those high rates don't shrink over time. I understand the rates are high due to where you live(is what it is), but if one goes 5,10, 15+ years without any accidents there should be notable declines in the payment. Instead its ridiculously high and can only go up.

My auto insurance increased by 50% when I moved from Madison to St. Louis.

With moving to Chicago, it is scheduled to increase by another 50%.

The annual insurance premium will be almost 15% of the value of the vehicle.

Same driver, same vehicle, haven't had an accident in 15 years or a ticket in 8 years.

Are you sure you are getting all of your discounts? I know UW Alumni receive a discount through Liberty Mutual. I didn't switch as the discount wasn't all that much and my rate would slightly go up. But make sure you are getting all of the discounts that you are qualified for this is the biggest thing to get your rate down actually I think this is the only way to get your rate down other than changing your coverage and deductibles.

I get the best rates by shopping around. Seems rate increases are automatic every year and, similar to cable/dish, most just pay it. We have switched car insurance every year for the past 3 and get lower rates every time. Same coverage and deuctibles. I'm located in Dc/Baltimore at the moment. I have a clean record, no tickets or recent accidents.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

That is with Liberty Mutual. I spent 15 minutes on the phone with them making sure everything was correct and all discounts were applied. LM does have good rates for my business owner's policy.

It's not so easy as switching, as I also have an umbrella liability policy and business owner's insurance (rental property) and the umbrella has to be with the same company as my auto and business owner's in order to cover both for excess liability. Switching means moving all of my policies.

I think I may be developing a bit of an addiction to ZQuill, the sleeping medicine. I don't have any cravings to take it, but the times I don't it'll take me several hours to get to sleep.

I've had some insomnia issues in the past and you might want to review your bedtime routines:

- Avoid phone/tablet screen time in the first hour before bed. Limit (or eliminate) TV to slower paced shows.

- Don't eat right before bed.

- When I go to bed, I envision myself in a peaceful, serene environment that relaxes me. For me, I envision myself flying a small single engine plane over the Mississippi river valley.

- Work out in the evening to tire yourself physically. I have a desk job, so I come home mentally tired, but not physically. So it makes it harder to sleep.

Stress from work was my major bugaboo in sleeping. So disengaging my mind from thinking about those issues right before bed was pretty critical.

- One option that I think is very good is to list your issues for the next day (at the end of work or early in the evening; hours before bed) and write out what you will do about them. Then you have resolution set and worry about them less.

--> Then do something else to get your mind off of them.

If you think ZQuill is the problem, take a smaller amount each night until you have none. But I'm guessing its probably more about stress and or other stimulus at bed time.

Bugs me when people rip into something without seeing the bigger picture.

I'm convinced if someone set out a document with the cure for cancer, the very first thing some people would do is point out the spelling mistake on page 7.

It's called big picture.

I think it's some people's way of trying to feel important (hey, look what I found!). If they can denigrate something it hurts someone else - and thus makes them feel better.

But it's so petty.

I think I may be developing a bit of an addiction to ZQuill, the sleeping medicine. I don't have any cravings to take it, but the times I don't it'll take me several hours to get to sleep.

I've had some insomnia issues in the past and you might want to review your bedtime routines:

- Avoid phone/tablet screen time in the first hour before bed. Limit (or eliminate) TV to slower paced shows.

- Don't eat right before bed.

- When I go to bed, I envision myself in a peaceful, serene environment that relaxes me. For me, I envision myself flying a small single engine plane over the Mississippi river valley.

- Work out in the evening to tire yourself physically. I have a desk job, so I come home mentally tired, but not physically. So it makes it harder to sleep.

Stress from work was my major bugaboo in sleeping. So disengaging my mind from thinking about those issues right before bed was pretty critical.

- One option that I think is very good is to list your issues for the next day (at the end of work or early in the evening; hours before bed) and write out what you will do about them. Then you have resolution set and worry about them less.

--> Then do something else to get your mind off of them.

If you think ZQuill is the problem, take a smaller amount each night until you have none. But I'm guessing its probably more about stress and or other stimulus at bed time.

Poor sleep is so much about stress. Totally agree with CheezWizHead. Try out different strategies and see what helps. I've had my share of sleeping issues, as has my wife and son. Here's a few suggestions:

- Don't work out too late. It gets you worked up and you need time to wind down.

- A hot shower or bath can relax some people. Try one near bedtime.

- Try white noise. It really helps my wife (not just because of my snoring). You can get free white noise apps on your phone. The noise can lull you to sleep. It doesn't work for everyone, but it might for you.

- I'd definitely wean yourself off the ZQuill. It can make things worse if it becomes a habit.

- Don't watch TV before bed. Do something quiet. Read. And probably not a tablet, as CheezWizHead notes. They supposedly can interfere with sleeping (look it up if you want).

- Again, as noted, organize your thoughts and your activities. I can't stress how much this helped my son. If we listed out all his stuff, and set up a schedule to accomplish things, it really helped reduce his stress.

- Consider looking at your bed. When my wife and I got a new bed, it really helped her. The old mattress was just not good. A good mattress can be expensive, so don't do this lightly.

Archived