Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2016)

LouisEly
I thought that maybe the backup would be further west. I drove back from Madison on a Sunday recently, and there were backups off and on between Johnson Creek and the lakefront.

I always leave the freeway before getting anywhere near Miller Park. I feel like I have better control of my trip that way.

Yeah, we probably should have done that, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure I just had my least enjoyable Brewers game ever. We left Fort Atkinson at 10am, finally got to Miller Park at 1230pm. Got into the stadium during the bottom of the 4th inning... Finally got to our seats at the top of the 6th.

Great seats, lousy game. Our son was super cranky, and made a scene while we left during the 8th inning. Nothing really redeeming about this trip.

I swore off Cubs games years ago but for other reasons.

Metal or any backing on cell phones that adds to the price. Who cares it's going in a case anyway.

and/or prevents me from swapping out my battery and adding removable storage.

Galaxy S6 was the stupidest phone ever made. They took away the removable battery and expandable storage and didn't add water resistance. It also has glass on the back to make something else that will easily break. All in the name of aesthetics.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My son has an apple phone and I have an android. Occasionally he will use an emoji when texting me (I do too, but less often). So, we are texting back and forth during the Packer game and I text him "Wow!" when Rogers throws the TD pass while being taken down from behind. He responds with an emoji that looks like a sad face and I just assume that whatever feed he is watching on (from Iowa) is on a delay. So, I tell him that I think his feed is delayed. He states he's watching live TV, to which I respond "Then I don't understand your emoji". After a few more texts finally ending with a screen shot of what my son sent, we realize that emoji's do not always translate well from apple to android and vice/versa (it should have been a "surprise" or "wow" face - with wide eyes). I now understand why some of my son's texts did not always make complete sense to me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's a pain to find a full-service car wash… the kind where they wipe everything down inside the car, vacuum, wash the mats, and all that. The places with itemized services always leave something out. Why would they omit wiping down the leather seats, for instance? One place skipped the grubby console between the bucket seats because it wasn't on the list of things to clean.

It seems that you can either get a basic exterior wash or a full detail. Most people rarely need the full detail, and many never get one. I might do it if things get out of control, although when I had a dog that liked to shed, I got a full interior detail every year or so.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's a pain to find a full-service car wash… the kind where they wipe everything down inside the car, vacuum, wash the mats, and all that.

Oh yes. They are out there, but many of the owners don't think to advertise on Google Maps or on Yelp (you can't post reviews of your own business on Yelp, but you can list your business). It's a pain to find any car wash, even the self-service ones. You practically have to stumble upon them while driving around.

The teaching profession in general is bugging me... I'd like to go back to the old days of teaching your classes, and being a teacher.

The new age of teaching responsibilities and the extra nonsense is deflating and exhausting.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The teaching profession in general is bugging me... I'd like to go back to the old days of teaching your classes, and being a teacher.

The new age of teaching responsibilities and the extra nonsense is deflating and exhausting.

Without getting political, I was trying to explain some of the frustrations of teachers to a business acquaintance. He didn't understand all the extra responsibilities that teachers now have, which they didn't "back in the day."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I feel for teachers. It's an age of trying to "hold them accountable" in ways that can be put on paper, and it makes no sense. Teachers have to do what they do best, teach in a way that fits them best. Two teachers should be allowed to teach the same subject completely different, as long as the kids are getting the message.

Then when you throw in parents and the way they look at teachers, and you have a recipe for frustration. It used to be when a kid got in trouble, the parent would say be upset at their kid and discipline them. Now when a kid gets in trouble, the parent gets upset at the teacher and asks them what they did wrong (I will give credit to my Father, a retired teacher, who said that).

Also not trying to get political, but when Act 10 was institued, the entire teaching profession was turned on it's ear, and not in a good way.

The stuff that is mandated, the extra work, meetings, evaluation process (someone in education couldn't possibly understand the rigors this brings on, and on top of all the other responsibilities), PLCs, SLOs, PPG's, ACP, BYOC, and countless other acronyms makes the profession a giant cesspool of exhaustion. The pay cuts, loss of insurance in a lot of cases, etc., etc., make this a profession to stay far away from in the future and has destroyed morale statewide, in all districts.

We are headed for a teacher shortage, and it is already being felt in colleges and universities as fewer and fewer young people want to become teachers, and for plenty of good reason. What then? We are going to be forced to hire anyone with a pulse to teach, and that is going to be the norm in the not so distant future. The profession has become vilified, labeled as union thugs who just want more money, blah, blah, blah.

On top of all that there is a movement to hold teachers accountable for everything in their student's lives, dismissing personal accountability and of course, parental accountability.

In an attempt to "clean up" the profession and make teachers more accountable, what is going to happen is that people will not become teachers, and in turn, we will have to hire the bottom of the barrel instead of making the current teachers accountable and better teachers...

The current plan in place is killing education in this state, plain and simple.

If you know any teachers, thank them for their efforts, the profession is not anywhere near what it was a decade ago, and for that matter 6 years ago. It's a thankless profession, and the hits just keep on coming...

Getting into all the Walker stuff IS political, and shouldn't be in this forum.

I don't understand why everyone is supposed to feel sorry for what teachers have to deal with. Talk to factory workers, bank employees, truck drivers, police officers. Any position in any industry. They will tell you their benefit packages have changed. They will tell you there are more rules and regulations to deal with.

My wife was a teacher for years, still have family members and close friends who are teachers. So I get it, I just don't understand why I should feel so bad about what teachers deal with. There is no teacher shortage. I know several kids who graduated recently who can't find a job in a school district. If you are specialized in certain areas, you can get a job in MPS. Otherwise, it's pretty tough finding a FT teaching position in other school districts. There's plenty of kids who would love to have a good paying job with great benefits and pension, with 3 months off.

I will agree with FVB, there isn't a teacher shortage. My son is student teaching now, and prospects for getting a job outside of an inner city are slim. All industries have begun the trend of consolidating responsibilities, people don't "just teach" or "just anything" anymore. I'm sure it sucks in the education world, everything has been driven to standardized testing and away from the freedom to explore. It stinks, but is unfortunately the way the world is going.

I don't buy the whole, "if you're a teacher, you can't understand" argument though. Everyone's jobs have unpleasant things. Most people are overstressed and over worked. It's not industry specific.

I don't understand why everyone is supposed to feel sorry for what teachers have to deal with. Talk to factory workers, bank employees, truck drivers, police officers. Any position in any industry. They will tell you their benefit packages have changed. They will tell you there are more rules and regulations to deal with.

My wife was a teacher for years, still have family members and close friends who are teachers. So I get it, I just don't understand why I should feel so bad about what teachers deal with. There is no teacher shortage. I know several kids who graduated recently who can't find a job in a school district. If you are specialized in certain areas, you can get a job in MPS. Otherwise, it's pretty tough finding a FT teaching position in other school districts. There's plenty of kids who would love to have a good paying job with great benefits and pension, with 3 months off.

No one is asking anyone to feel sorry for teachers, that is a silly notion. I don't care about other professions, I'm talking about the teaching profession.

There IS going to be a teacher shortage, it is coming. Believe it or not, it is coming. You know several kids who graduated recently who can't find a teaching job? Of course, but in the near future, jobs will be there, but applicants will not. No offense, but who on earth wants to teach in MPS? That is probably one of, if not the least desirable district to teach in...

Oh, and by the way, teachers do have summers off, but that is not contracted time, so those summer vacations that so many covet are unpaid. Great benefits? You must be talking about pre act 10, those great benefits that you speak of are dwindling by the year, and there is nothing that teachers can do about it. Just another reason there are fewer and fewer young people going into teaching. I don't blame them, I would never enter the profession in the current atmosphere. NEVER!

I will agree with FVB, there isn't a teacher shortage. My son is student teaching now, and prospects for getting a job outside of an inner city are slim. All industries have begun the trend of consolidating responsibilities, people don't "just teach" or "just anything" anymore. I'm sure it sucks in the education world, everything has been driven to standardized testing and away from the freedom to explore. It stinks, but is unfortunately the way the world is going.

I don't buy the whole, "if you're a teacher, you can't understand" argument though. Everyone's jobs have unpleasant things. Most people are overstressed and over worked. It's not industry specific.

There isn't a teacher shortage currently, the effects of the state of education and people wanting to enter the profession won't be completely realized until 5-8 years out. That is when we will feel it, and be forced to hire anyone who applies to fill the vacancies... Believe it or not, that is up to you, but it's coming...

No one is asking anyone to feel sorry for teachers, that is a silly notion. I don't care about other professions, I'm talking about the teaching profession.

There IS going to be a teacher shortage, it is coming. Believe it or not, it is coming. Great benefits? You must be talking about pre act 10, those great benefits that you speak of are dwindling by the year, and there is nothing that teachers can do about it. Just another reason there are fewer and fewer young people going into teaching. I don't blame them, I would never enter the profession in the current atmosphere. NEVER!

I know you believe that, and that's what teachers tell each other. Problem is, it's just not true. There 's still WAY more education majors out there today than jobs available. That won't change any time soon. They are not as jaded about the profession, and DO realize the benefits (including pension) are still superior to almost any other job out there.

Hey, I'm all for massive changes in the educational system. I think all the decisions should come from the local district, and even down to the individual school. Including teacher pay, hiring/firing, curriculum, and standards.

I'm with you. Where I coach our coaching staff is 50/50 teachers and non-teachers. Before practice one day this spring two of the teachers were throwing a fit about teacher things. The things while generally, but not specifically, were the same crap I'd dealt with at a couple previous jobs and have heard numerous people in other professions complain about in my lifetime. One teacher said he didn't know if he wanted to come back next year. When they were done I told them, you guys know that pretty much every job sucks right? They both nodded in agreement.

There isn't a teacher shortage currently, the effects of the state of education and people wanting to enter the profession won't be completely realized until 5-8 years out. That is when we will feel it, and be forced to hire anyone who applies to fill the vacancies... Believe it or not, that is up to you, but it's coming...

I probably could have said the same thing 10 years ago...however it appears that never happened. People are still flocking to get teaching jobs. I think they actually prefer the job to be worse so they can complain more.

We are headed for a teacher shortage, and it is already being felt in colleges and universities as fewer and fewer young people want to become teachers, and for plenty of good reason.

Even if we do head for a teacher shortage I don't think it would be for some of the reasons you are mentioning. The biggest problem threatening the number of applicants has nothing to do with what the job entails, but how they become qualified. The number of people pursuing education related degrees really started to fall in the early 2000s. What else happened around that time...the price of college. The price of college has exploded so much most people are pursuing degrees that make them $$$. No one wants to spend $50,000+ to start out in the $35,000 range and top out at $55,000.

Now if such a shortage happens will it really get so bad the teachers are unqualified to the point it hurts the learning experience of kids? Possible, but hard to really say.

Archived