Brewer Fanatic

Rich Hill re-signs with Dodgers - 3-years, $48M

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rich Hill has re-signed with the LA Dodgers. 3 years, $48M.

https://apnews.com/2d0e7f2b6f6f4598b18e987f53fea752/Dodgers-keep-free-agent-pitcher-Rich-Hill-with-3-year-deal

Happy for Hill. He could easily have retired a few years ago - but he did an amazing career turnaround at age 36. You don't see that often. Well done, sir.

Really enjoyed watching him pitch this season. I didn't remember him exuding quite as much flair while on the mound when he was with the Cubs earlier in his career. The Fangraphs write up on the signing mentioned Junior Guerra briefly, relevant text below...

"Do you think of Junior Guerra as an ace? He’s thrown 122 innings and faced 492 Major League batters over the last two years, allowing the same wOBA as Jon Lester and a lower wOBA than Corey Kluber. Rich Hill has been great for about the same length of time that Guerra has been good, and people remain quite skeptical of Guerra, after all."

No disrespect for what Rich Hill has done, but I'll go on record saying this was a bad move by Los Angeles. Rich Hill will be 37 years old by the time next season begins. He has accumulated over 7 years of service time over 11 big league seasons and has thrown 610 innings. He has never topped 200 innings and has only thrown 111+ innings one time back in 2007. His career numbers are a pretty pedestrian 4.10 ERA and 1.29 WHIP. His numbers over the last three years are excellent (2.05 ERA) but in those three seasons he's thrown a total of 144 2/3 innings.

The Dodgers already have Kershaw (true ace), Maeda (pitched great last year), Urias (#1 pitching prospect in all of baseball at the All-Star break last year and MLB ready) and numerous candidates which should solidify the back of the rotation in Alex Wood, Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu and then throw in some rookie candidates like Jose De Leon and Brock Stewart. Considering there were a bunch of injuries that hit this rotation last year I could have understood it if the Dodgers went out and overpaid for a #3/#4 starter that was proven inning-eater/workhorse type. But Rich Hill? Granted, there is much, much greater upside potential with Hill but stabilizing a rotation with a player that will be 37 and has thrown 111+ big league innings one time in his MLB career...that wouldn't have been the way I would have gone. I would agree that he could throw as few as 400 innings over these next three seasons and if he pitches like he did last year those 400 innings would be worth 48 million in Dodger dollars. But on the flip side it wouldn't shock me to see him throw 100-150 innings and if that happens then this was a bad deal for LA.

I've been outspoken about the Brewers avoiding picking up veteran player with 3 or less years of team control only because I don't think the Brewers will be competitive the next two season (Puig in particular). But hey, if the Dodgers now have a pitching excess and are willing to trade Alex Wood at a discount rate then count me in as definitely being interested!!!

Instead of giving a spot to one of their two top pitching prospects, both of whom pitched in the majors last year, they sign Hill. Kershaw, Maeda, Kazmir, Ryu, Hill.

Wonder if that means that one of Urias or De Leon is going to be traded.

(Ducks and runs for cover.)

Instead of giving a spot to one of their two top pitching prospects, both of whom pitched in the majors last year, they sign Hill. Kershaw, Maeda, Kazmir, Ryu, Hill.

Wonder if that means that one of Urias or De Leon is going to be traded.

(Ducks and runs for cover.)

More likely the Dodgers are being proactive for the injuries that will come. Urias & DeLeon fill in the holes that occur in the rotation. Also there were reports that Kazmir was on the trade block over the weekend.

Also hoping that come October that 4 of Hill, Kershaw, Maeda, Ryu, and Urias (maybe can throw Wood in there) are ready for the post season. If they can avoid having Bud Norris or McCarthy types making 18 starts or replace Kazmir's 26 all the better.

So I guess that notion of the Dodgers not being able to spend any money and having to cut salary due to MLB debt rules (and therefore not being able to trade for Braun) can be thrown out the window.

Good for Hill to finally cash in on what will be the final (and only) big-money deal of his career, but I think the Dodgers will wish they hadn't made this deal in a year or two.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Hill draws $16 million a year, Garza could be worth something.

Exactly. You build your pitching staff thinking in 2 areas. One is to get through a 162 game season without burning out your aces. The other is how you set up in a 5 game or 7 game series.

Pitchers like Garza & Hill can help you in the regular season in multiple ways. Obviously there is plenty of risk in that type of investment

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

So I guess that notion of the Dodgers not being able to spend any money and having to cut salary due to MLB debt rules (and therefore not being able to trade for Braun) can be thrown out the window.

Good for Hill to finally cash in on what will be the final (and only) big-money deal of his career, but I think the Dodgers will wish they hadn't made this deal in a year or two.

Such notion never existed. Well maybe among people who didn't understand the situation it did.

I doubt it. If he turns into a 5 ERA potato they won't care. They have so much money coming off the books soon it will be like all the deadweight contracts they have now they don't care about. If he gives them a good year that's all they need.

Archived