Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Scooter Gennett - 1 year/2.525M

adambr2
I'm such a big Scooter fan that I can't even be objective about him. I do realize that he isn't exactly Cano or Altuve. Still think he has value, if they keep him, as a platoon player.

I don't think trading for Shaw ends Scooter's time in Milwaukee, necessarily.

No it doesn't. They might want to keep Gennett in case Arcia struggles out of the gate and they have to move Villar back to short for a while. We're all assuming Arcia's here to stay, but maybe they'll decide to get him more work in AAA. At worst, Gennett becomes a nice late inning PH option from the left side and allows Counsell to do some double switching in the infield. He's not making so much that having him as a bench player is out of the question. That said, I'm a huge Scooter fan myself and feel he's been underappreciated by many.

Yea, there's a chance Arcia STARTS the season in AAA. Not likely, but wouldn't shock me.

I'm a Scooter fan too. Just too bad he can't play another position.

Short of injury or major discipline issue, I can not come up with a single legit reason to have Arcia begin 2017 in AAA.

Scooter got a new contract for2017, but realistically he should be released when his roster space is need for someone else.

Short of injury or major discipline issue, I can not come up with a single legit reason to have Arcia begin 2017 in AAA.

Scooter got a new contract for 2017, but realistically he should be released when his roster space is need for someone else.

1. Arcia was not very good in AAA last year

2. Arcia was awful in MLB last year

3. It will get back more service time that was wasted promoting a not ready Arcia

Scooter got a new contract for 2017, but realistically he should be released when his roster space is need for someone else.

1. Arcia was not very good in AAA last year

2. Arcia was awful in MLB last year

3. It will get back more service time that was wasted promoting a not ready Arcia

1. False.

2. Mostly False, started out shaky but played well to finish.

3. He will be our shortstop. See Stearns comments.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That would be a waste of 2.5M+. Non tendering him would have been better.

I understand your point but the role or Scooter changed with the Thornberg trade today.

Pre-Trade there were more questions about 3B and Villar was more in that mix (thereby opening 2B). Scooter had a playing role.

Post-Trade, Shaw is at 3B (with Perez as primary backup) and Villar is able to be 2B (and SS back-up). Scooter has no playing role.

Every club has 1 or 2 guys on their 40 man that are 'easier' cuts in the event of injury need/ etc. At this point, Scooter is in that role for the Brewers.

I have to agree with MadThink, I came here to say virtually the same. Barring injury or unforeseen transaction, the infield makes a ton of sense without Gennett in the mix. And I'm not bagging on Scooter. I do hope we find a trade partner for him soon, because I'm looking for but not finding a way to see how he makes Milwaukee a better team while on the roster, given the current list.

The problem with Scooter Gennett is the fact he isn't an easy cut if we can't trade him. Because then DS gets to be that dumb GM who gave a guy $2.5mil and then made him have no spot a week later. It's similar to giving out a big contract and having a $10mil dumpster fire. You keep him around so you don't look like you made a total mistake even though you did. Then again $2.5mil is a pretty minimal number so hopefully they would just cut him and accept it.

I will stand by the assumption Stearns was confident he could find a suitor since he seemed pretty set on adding a lefty infielder before they handed Gennett the contract.

Archived