Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Scooter Gennett - 1 year/2.525M

adambr2

On the surface I don't mind this deal, it's relatively cheap and perfectly tradeable.

On the other hand if Gennett is not in fact traded, I'm not exactly sure how he fits onto the team next year. The club has hinted a commitment to Villar at 2nd, if that's the case he surely isn't going to be platooned. I suppose it's possible that they might plan on going with Scooter at 2nd and Villar at 3rd against RHP and Villar at 2nd and Perez at 3rd vs. LHP, but I doubt it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On the surface I don't mind this deal, it's relatively cheap and perfectly tradeable.

On the other hand if Gennett is not in fact traded, I'm not exactly sure how he fits onto the team next year. The club has hinted a commitment to Villar at 2nd, if that's the case he surely isn't going to be platooned. I suppose it's possible that they might plan on going with Scooter at 2nd and Villar at 3rd against RHP and Villar at 2nd and Perez at 3rd vs. LHP, but I doubt it.

If Villar is going to be our full time 2B, Scooter doesn't have a role. He should just be traded for whatever we can get if that's the case.

Scooter's salary isn't huge, but he's just not shown he's particularly good. Someone will likely want him - but they aren't going to give up much to get him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scooter had a good year or two - the bat plays against righties, and he's entering his prime years. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he just keeps hitting like he has hit - very mediocre.

The lack of versatility and mediocre defense is really going to limit his appeal.

I'm surprised this happened so early and before the Winter Meetings. I'd have waited til after the meetings if someone was going to trade for him. I don't see how he fits the team unless we move Perez or Villar

MLBtraderumors.com had Scooter projected at $3.0M for 2017. Perhaps the club figured it was a good figure - and teams would be more interested at the lower price. And the lower price will help keep his 2018 and 2019 salaries lower (assuming Scooter is deemed worthy of arbitration).

I'm not worried about someone not wanting the guy. I think it's just a matter of finding the right fit on a deal. As I've said, I just don't think we'll get a lot for him.

Same as Thames, who is he blocking right now? Rivera? The only thing Rivera offers is defensive versatility which really means nothing for the club in its current state. I don't see anywhere else on the infield that Scooter could play but I've said it before, throw him in a corner outfield spot and see how he does. He can't be any worse than Khris Davis or Santana.

OF?? I think we have plenty of them already. No need to try to convert a mediocre 2B. Scooter needs to at least platoon at 2B, or he has no roster spot. You can't have a bench player who can only play 2B. If Villar is moving to 2B, then Scooter needs to be traded. This is pretty simple really.

Only good part about this is that it's cheaper than most would have expected. I'm hoping we can get a 20-yr old with a moderate ceiling or two and call it a day. He just doesn't seem to have a place on this team.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Scooter isn't close to being as good as Santana in the OF, nor Davis for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if his arm is worse than Davis as well. His arm is below average for a 2b.

2.5M is cheap and shouldn't deter anyone from trading for him. I do think he's traded for sure and goes to someone who wants a platoon. He'll likely bring back a low level prospect type but it is what it is - won't be much trade value from him. Most important aspect of his trade is freeing up Villar to be the full time 2b. Him up the middle with Arcia will be a lot of fun to watch.

I'm surprised this happened so early and before the Winter Meetings. I'd have waited til after the meetings if someone was going to trade for him. I don't see how he fits the team unless we move Perez or Villar

MLBtraderumors.com had Scooter projected at $3.0M for 2017. Perhaps the club figured it was a good figure - and teams would be more interested at the lower price. And the lower price will help keep his 2018 and 2019 salaries lower (assuming Scooter is deemed worthy of arbitration).

I'm not worried about someone not wanting the guy. I think it's just a matter of finding the right fit on a deal. As I've said, I just don't think we'll get a lot for him.

I suppose locking him in to near 500k less expectation price tag could be seen as relieving for a trading team.

Who is going to trade for Gennett? The only possible option I can think of is Kansas City. Everyone else seems to have a better option or is in rebuilding mode and wouldn't want scooter. Unless some other contender suffers an injury KC is the only place I can see him going.

I would guess Gennett would fit in as a platoon 2nd baseman on a team with a sharp fielding RHB 2nd baseman who struggles against RHP, but I admittedly have no idea who that would be or if said player even exists out there.

Gennett's lack of versatility really hamstrings our ability to trade him. Off the bench he's nothing more than a serviceable pinch hitter against RHP. If he were marketable as a utility infielder or at least an elite defensive 2B, he'd probably draw a lot more interest.

Seems like a lot of the arby eligible guys so far have signed for less than expected.

With borderline non-tender candidates, clubs do have some leverage before the non-tender deadline. My guess is that the Brewers told Scooter this was their best offer for him and he could either take it or be non-tendered, and Scooter, not wanting to risk throwing away a 500% raise betting on his limited skillset in free agency, wisely took the money.

Via rules guru thecubreporter

The player is awarded a standard one-year MLB contract with no "minor league split" salary or incentive/performance bonuses. Also, the contract is not guaranteed, so if the player is released during Spring Training, the club would only owe the player 30 days or 45 days salary as termination pay, depending on when the player is released. (A player on an MLB 40-man roster receives 100% of what remains of his salary if he is released during the regular season).

NOTE: The Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) is very sensitive about salary arbitration, so if a player is victorious at an arbitration hearing and is awarded a contract by an arbitration panel and then is subsequently released by his club prior to or during Spring Training, the MLBPA will almost always file a grievance on behalf of the player, claiming the player was released for economic reasons only (which is not permitted), and asking that the released player receive 100% of his salary as termination pay. In that situation, a club would have to show (by submitting official Spring Training game stats) that the released player was out-performed in Spring Training games by another player (or players) competing for that roster spot.

Big spring training for Scooter...

Via rules guru thecubreporter

The player is awarded a standard one-year MLB contract with no "minor league split" salary or incentive/performance bonuses. Also, the contract is not guaranteed, so if the player is released during Spring Training, the club would only owe the player 30 days or 45 days salary as termination pay, depending on when the player is released. (A player on an MLB 40-man roster receives 100% of what remains of his salary if he is released during the regular season).

NOTE: The Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) is very sensitive about salary arbitration, so if a player is victorious at an arbitration hearing and is awarded a contract by an arbitration panel and then is subsequently released by his club prior to or during Spring Training, the MLBPA will almost always file a grievance on behalf of the player, claiming the player was released for economic reasons only (which is not permitted), and asking that the released player receive 100% of his salary as termination pay. In that situation, a club would have to show (by submitting official Spring Training game stats) that the released player was out-performed in Spring Training games by another player (or players) competing for that roster spot.

Big spring training for Scooter...

I could be mistaken on this, but my interpretation of it from looking at that link is that the 'non-guarantee' only applies when a player is actually awarded salary in arbitration. Scooter signed even before the non-tender deadline, it's not an arbitration contract, so I would think his contract is already guaranteed.

I could be mistaken on this, but my interpretation of it from looking at that link is that the 'non-guarantee' only applies when a player is actually awarded salary in arbitration. Scooter signed even before the non-tender deadline, it's not an arbitration contract, so I would think his contract is already guaranteed.

You are 100% absolutely correct, sir, I should not post shortly after corporate Christmas parties ;).

You are 100% absolutely correct, sir, I should not post shortly after corporate Christmas parties ;).

As my wife says, no good decisions are ever made after midnight :)

I think, given the fact that we are not looking to compete in 2017, that Scooter could still platoon and play most days against righties at 2B, with Villar playing at 2B against lefties and 3B against righties (Perez playing at 3B against lefties).

This, of course, assumes that all 3 of those players are still on the team on opening day and we don't sign or trade for anyone else.

I think, given the fact that we are not looking to compete in 2017, that Scooter could still platoon and play most days against righties at 2B, with Villar playing at 2B against lefties and 3B against righties (Perez playing at 3B against lefties).

This, of course, assumes that all 3 of those players are still on the team on opening day and we don't sign or trade for anyone else.

Seems like a plausible scenario to me, but indications were that they preferred Villar at 2nd going forward and didn't see him as a 3rd baseman.

I prefer Villar at 2nd myself and feel he could develop into at least an average defender there while also having his bat play better there.

I'm such a big Scooter fan that I can't even be objective about him. I do realize that he isn't exactly Cano or Altuve. Still think he has value, if they keep him, as a platoon player.

I don't think trading for Shaw ends Scooter's time in Milwaukee, necessarily.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm such a big Scooter fan that I can't even be objective about him. I do realize that he isn't exactly Cano or Altuve. Still think he has value, if they keep him, as a platoon player.

No it doesn't. They might want to keep Gennett in case Arcia struggles out of the gate and they have to move Villar back to short for a while. We're all assuming Arcia's here to stay, but maybe they'll decide to get him more work in AAA. At worst, Gennett becomes a nice late inning PH option from the left side and allows Counsell to do some double switching in the infield. He's not making so much that having him as a bench player is out of the question. That said, I'm a huge Scooter fan myself and feel he's been underappreciated by many.

No it doesn't. They might want to keep Gennett in case Arcia struggles out of the gate and they have to move Villar back to short for a while. We're all assuming Arcia's here to stay, but maybe they'll decide to get him more work in AAA. At worst, Gennett becomes a nice late inning PH option from the left side and allows Counsell to do some double switching in the infield. He's not making so much that having him as a bench player is out of the question. That said, I'm a huge Scooter fan myself and feel he's been underappreciated by many.

Yea, there's a chance Arcia STARTS the season in AAA. Not likely, but wouldn't shock me.

I'm a Scooter fan too. Just too bad he can't play another position.

Yea, there's a chance Arcia STARTS the season in AAA. Not likely, but wouldn't shock me.

Counsell on MLB Network today said that Arcia is the SS moving forwards and they expect Villar to play "alot of second base"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I can't get on board with the love for Scooter. Replacement level player two years straight now. I was excited about him when he first came up. Just hasn't worked out IMO.

Guys either need to be able to play multiple positions or be very solid at their one position IMO. Scooter fits neither description.

Counsell on MLB Network today said that Arcia is the SS moving forwards and they expect Villar to play "alot of second base"

Of course that's what he would say. And most likely that WILL be what happens. I mean, that IS the plan right now. But Counsell has no idea what things will look like come April. More trades to come, there's injuries, Arcia's performance in ST, etc.

Archived