Brewer Fanatic

Geltz and Goforth outrighted to AAA

JDBrewCrew

Obviously they didn't care much about Walker. They wanted to claim him and see if they could then pass him through waivers, which they couldn't.

Same thing with Geltz, they wanted to claim him and pass him through waivers, and this time it worked.

We need some flexibility right now on the 40-man for a couple reasons:

1. We probably want some room for the Rule 5 draft.

2. Any trades we make in the offseason may involve having to add other players to the 40-man roster.

3. We still could potentially sign FA's that need to be put on the 40-man.

I'm aware we can make corresponding moves for 2/3 when the trades/signings happen, so more likely than not this was a move to free up a spot for a Rule 5 draftee. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing to the other reliever we claimed too.

Now I would think this is the best time to use the Rule 5 draft process.

- The Brewers are not in position to challenge for division title or wild card spot in 2017.

- While they have a highly regarded farm system, many of those talents are still a year or two away

- 2017 will be used to sort thru various prospects to see if they have what it takes to stay in the majors

I am NOT suggesting the Brewers take players just to take them. They should select intriguing talents that might address areas of need with the club (say corner INF)...

If I read it correctly (can't recall where), apparently now it costs $100k for a Rule V [sic] pick.

I don't remember seeing if the "buy back" option is still half the pick price.

yes, it's now $100,000 for a rule 5 draft pick. i have not seen confirmation on the amount paid back to the club (it was half before the increase) if the drafting club wishes to return the player to the original club.

i have not seen confirmation that the cost for a claim of a player placed on outright waivers has increased from $50,000. given that the rule 5 draft cost increased, it makes sense that claiming a player on outright waivers increased in cost also.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived