Brewer Fanatic

Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??

When a journeyman like Eric Sogard shows up and literally carries the team for a week, you know something special is happening. It doesn't happen often. Scott Fletcher came out of obscurity in 1992 with big hit after big hit. That was before wild card but they scared the bejeebers out of Toronto that year.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, with the Brewers in first place and Garza (small sample alert) their most effective starter, there is absolutely no reason to trade him at the deadline, unless they are out of the race by then. If they want to deal him it can be done over the winter. Keeping Garza would be equivalent to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, except of course it costs nothing.

That is, of course, if he keeps pitching the way he has been. Possibly a big if.

When a journeyman like Eric Sogard shows up and literally carries the team for a week, you know something special is happening. It doesn't happen often. Scott Fletcher came out of obscurity in 1992 with big hit after big hit. That was before wild card but they scared the bejeebers out of Toronto that year.

Actually, it happens all the time and doesn't really mean anything. Last year a journeyman pitcher ended up being the best starting pitcher the Brewers had. And they ended under .500. Over the years, there have been both hitters and pitchers that were lights out for a short period, or even the entire season and it didn't mean anything.

Sogard is a good story, and he's been fun to watch. But it's not some sort of omen that this is a year of destiny.

Taylor Jungman the year before. Just recent-ish Brewer examples off the top of my head: Brady Clark, Podsednik, McGehee. Stuff like this happens all over baseball all the time, maybe not hitting .600 for a week but you know what I mean...

At this point, with the Brewers in first place and Garza (small sample alert) their most effective starter, there is absolutely no reason to trade him at the deadline, unless they are out of the race by then. If they want to deal him it can be done over the winter. Keeping Garza would be equivalent to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, except of course it costs nothing.

That is, of course, if he keeps pitching the way he has been. Possibly a big if.

Matt Garza has been hot garbage for 2 years, and we've been hoping someone would offer us a sack of baseballs to get him off our hands. Now he makes 5 good starts and he's untouchable?

Baseball deals are all about buying low and selling high. Everyone knows that, but it's hard to do because in the moment, when you do it right, you usually feel like you're selling an asset and buying off the scrap heap (i.e. super-reliever Tyler Thornburg for newly benched Travis Shaw and other). The Brewers have not been good at this over the years, I hope that changes under DS.

I hope Garza keeps pitching like we all hoped he would, and then I'd trade him in a heartbeat even if we're in contention. Bring up Woodruff, keep the train moving this year and for the future.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Two years of hot garbage because he was injured off and on. Healthy he is a very good pitcher and he's showing that this season. His overall body of work trumps two bad years of issues for me. Not saying we don't trade him but say we have the lead we currently do on July 20th, and Garza is still pitching like this, no way do I trade him.

Because he is healthy this yr? Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. There are alot of players pitching over there heads (Morton, Vargas, Santana, Ray) and some are struggling (Cueto, Verlander, Kluber). It is one month don't get carried away.

Because he is healthy this yr? Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. There are alot of players pitching over there heads (Morton, Vargas, Santana, Ray) and some are struggling (Cueto, Verlander, Kluber). It is one month don't get carried away.

So you can play fantasy with an injury that hasn't occurred yet but I can't state how good of a pitcher Garza was FOR SEVEN YEARS before a series of injuries the past two season? Okay, got it. Moving on....

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So you can play fantasy with an injury that hasn't occurred yet but I can't state how good of a pitcher Garza was FOR SEVEN YEARS before a series of injuries the past two season? Okay, got it. Moving on....

yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the terrible last 2 years or 4 of the last 5 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.

yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the last 2 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.

I am by no means EVER saying that Garza is a stud. I don't think anyone has every said that recently of him. I do think however he can be a fine piece to a rotation if health continues. He's started the year well, minus today, and I do expect him to be a mid to lower 3 ERA guy if he's all fine. You're being an ass for absolutely no reason on this one.

yeah that was 3/4 years ago.. So in your eyes Pujols is still an elite hitter and Matt Cain is a stud ace... getting old has its effects and Garza has not shown to do it a full year since 2014 and two years before that he never pitched more than 84 innings. Garza is what he is, a pitcher who is hot (even though he had a dud today) who will come back down to earth by the end of the year or even by All star break. To overlook the last 2 years because of one month this yr makes no sense.

I am by no means EVER saying that Garza is a stud. I don't think anyone has every said that recently of him. I do think however he can be a fine piece to a rotation if health continues. He's started the year well, minus today, and I do expect him to be a mid to lower 3 ERA guy if he's all fine. You're being an ass for absolutely no reason on this one.

Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.

Where did I call Garza a stud or say you called him a stud? You called him a very good pitcher who is healthy this yr. I argued with it by backing it up with stats and my viewpoint, without attacking you personally. If you can't handle a good argument and your only response is to call me an ass, then I'm sorry you are so sensitive.

Your argument wasn't good and that wasn't my only response. I'll replay your first message towards me though for you the way I read it.

Because he is healthy this yr? - Right now, yes he's healthy

Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? - Yes, there is a fact

So if he gets hurt in June/July then what? -Make believe land

You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. -Never said I was looking past two years but was looking at the entire career of a pitcher.

I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. -And here is where you are being an ass.

It is one month don't get carried away. -This is probably all you really needed to say, even though there was no getting carried away with him.

I do it here and there too but there is definitely a way to write a post to someone and comments like I can't wait to come back and stick it to you when a guy sucks, is not a great way to go about things. Nor is finishing with I'm sorry you are so sensitive after being a jerk to someone over something so silly.

Your argument wasn't good and that wasn't my only response. I'll replay your first message towards me though for you the way I read it.

Didn't he miss the first couple of weeks because of an injury? - Yes, there is a fact

You are willing to look past 2 years because of one good month. -Never said I was looking past two years but was looking at the entire career of a pitcher.

I can't wait to come back to this message when Garza comes back down to earth. -And here is where you are being an ass.

It is one month don't get carried away. -This is probably all you really needed to say, even though there was no getting carried away with him.

I do it here and there too but there is definitely a way to write a post to someone and comments like I can't wait to come back and stick it to you when a guy sucks, is not a great way to go about things. Nor is finishing with I'm sorry you are so sensitive after being a jerk to someone over something so silly.

Pretty much the response I expected from a guy who has yet to make a compelling argument on this topic. Are you 15 yr old teenage girl? I'll leave another one for you:

Garza teams he has pitched against this year

Cincinnati

Atlanta

Pittsburgh

Mets

San Diego

Toronto

Combined record so far this year is 117 - 154. Half of those teams are last in their division right now.

Pretty much the response I expected from a guy who has yet to make a compelling argument on this topic. Are you 15 yr old teenage girl?

Won't be expecting to see you for much longer. Congrats on proving my point. Have a good day.

• 2 months later...
Apparently Price is going on the DL for the same issue that he had earlier this year. Probably not a good sign for the Red Sox. I know DS snookered him in the last trade, but do you think they would be interested in something like Garza and Perez for Groome? Garza can fill in while Price in on the DL or all year if he needs sugery. Perez can fill in if Devers isn't up to the task this year. Probably not, but we all know how Dombrowski likes to trade prospects. Might be a good idea to give him a call and find out if business can be done.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Apparently Price is going on the DL for the same issue that he had earlier this year. Probably not a good sign for the Red Sox. I know DS snookered him in the last trade, but do you think they would be interested in something like Garza and Perez for Groome? Garza can fill in while Price in on the DL or all year if he needs sugery. Perez can fill in if Devers isn't up to the task this year. Probably not, but we all know how Dombrowski likes to trade prospects. Might be a good idea to give him a call and find out if business can be done.

Both guys combined aren't worth their number 1 pick

Michael Chavis(#3) and Mike Shawaryn(#8) could be possible, but still doubt it.

Both guys combined aren't worth their number 1 pick

Michael Chavis(#3) and Mike Shawaryn(#8) could be possible, but still doubt it.

The Red Sox just got Nunez from the Giants. He will likely fill the Perez role and play 3rd everyday if Devers proves to not be ready. That said, I could see the Red Sox looking at someone like Garza for the stretch run but we won't get much for him.

I am up in the air on his option. Injuries and age concern me. He pitched roughly 100 innings last year and will probably get close to that amount this year. Then again, they could move him to the pen, where he would refuse and then they can send him home. I guess some team would take him if the option was used but there is no guarantee that it would happen.

Garza at $5M next season is a no-brainer to me. That's not a significant amount of money to assume the risk. I'd rank the likely outcomes as:

1) Pick up the option and pencil Garza into the 2018 rotation

2) Pick up the option and trade Garza if you don't have him in the plans for 2018

3) Decline the option and let him walk.

Gruber Lawffices

Pick up the $5mil option and trade him for a low-A boom-or-bust prospect if nothing else. Somebody will want him for $5mil.

Maybe, maybe not. San Diego cornered the market on low level FA last year and got 3 guys all for $1.75 million, Richard, Cahill and Chacin. For a good team Garza would be a depth guy and come to camp as a 6th or 7th starter. They won't pay $5 million for a depth piece. A rebuilding team like the White Sox could take a flier and hope to recoup some value though they might prefer to sign some guys to minor league deals or for under $3 million.

The Brewers will likely have Nelson, Davies, Anderson as the big 3. They need room for their guys knocking on the door in their system. I don't think they'll pick up his option.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
$5 million is peanuts even for a below-average starting pitcher. There is absolutely no way the team isn't going to pick up that option. Plus, it isn't like there is a ton of youth knocking at the starting rotation door. Possibly Woodruff (lets see how he does for the rest of the year) and Hader, but the rest of the AAA and AA rotations are journeymen (Jungmann, Espino) or young guys that likely need another year (Ortiz, Burnes). If you get to next year and Garza it pitching well, and there are young guys ready to step up, you trade Garza as an inexpensive rental. Right now he is pretty cheap rotation insurance for 2018.

Couldn't disagree more Briggs. Your examples are not good. Those guys were coming off poor seasons and one wasn't even a starter last year. How is that a good example?

There will be lots of interest in Garza at $5mil if he keeps up similar pace the rest of the season. The option will without a doubt be picked up barring implosion.

Archived