Brewer Fanatic

Matt Garza - Significant Trade Asset??

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give the $5 million to Swarzak, fast.

I'm sure Swarzak is going to take the best deal available to him. I doubt it's the Brewers. The Brewers can go out and get Garza for

a couple million instead of five million and then release him two months into the season next year.

You can probably get Swarzek back for $6-$7M a year, so yes, still well worth it when Garza's $5M would almost cover that.

Anthony is due raise & most likely a multi year deal.

I think it is more likely he gets a 2 or 3 year deal at $4M per year..

Not sure how much better than Garza $5M is going to get you.

The statement could also be, "Not sure how much worse than Garza $5M is going to get you."

Either way it's true. $5M gets you jack squat on the free agent market. Maybe you luck in to a minor league signing or two but $5M gets you a no bat, aging, utility infielder or burned out pitcher.

The Padres got 3 FA starters on one year deals for $1.75 million each (total $5.25 million). Combined they made 75 starts, combined for a 25-28 record and an ERA of 4.27. The Brewers let a starter at a position in his prime go prior to this season because they didn't want to pay him $2.53 million to come off the bench and he proceeded to drive in more runs with his new team than all but one member of his former team. It's not so much the money as it is knowing how to use it, even a paltry $5 million.

You can probably get Swarzek back for $6-$7M a year, so yes, still well worth it when Garza's $5M would almost cover that.

Anthony is due raise & most likely a multi year deal.

I think it is more likely he gets a 2 or 3 year deal at $4M per year..

I agree. That's why I said $6-$7M a year. I think he'll get multiple years, just for more than you're projecting. 2/12 would be great, to me.

Give the $5 million to Swarzak, fast.

I'm sure Swarzak is going to take the best deal available to him. I doubt it's the Brewers. The Brewers can go out and get Garza for

a couple million instead of five million and then release him two months into the season next year.

Swarzak said publicly that he "loves it here" and wants to come back. I think the chances of him being a Brewer next year are better than you think.

I would like to see the Brewers sign Swarzak and I think there is a possibility of it, but I can't imagine him taking any kind of discount to do so. Unless there is a factor I am underestimating it would seem very likely that he is going to take full advantage of the opportunity to sign the wealthiest contract of his career.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

1) The Brewers should have as much money to spend as anyone this season. They may not think it wise to outbid everyone for Swarzak, but if they choose to spend the money they could do it.

2) Thames was signed this past offseason for 3 yrs / $16M, so you can find talent for around $5M. The Brewers now have an extra $5M to spend on an upgrade somewhere instead of having to spend another season hoping Garza will find his old self for a season.

I fully expect the Brewers to get one or maybe even two starting pitchers this offseason from either the free agent market or trades. Dumping Garza opens up a spot and frees up some cash for Stearns to find better options.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1) The Brewers should have as much money to spend as anyone this season. They may not think it wise to outbid everyone for Swarzak, but if they choose to spend the money they could do it.

2) Thames was signed this past offseason for 3 yrs / $16M, so you can find talent for around $5M. The Brewers now have an extra $5M to spend on an upgrade somewhere instead of having to spend another season hoping Garza will find his old self for a season.

I fully expect the Brewers to get one or maybe even two starting pitchers this offseason from either the free agent market or trades. Dumping Garza opens up a spot and frees up some cash for Stearns to find better options.

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed. I could definitely see Stearns getting creative in how we target pitching upgrades. There are 4 or 5 other pitchers as good as or better than Swarzak on the market. If not Swarzak, we need to get 1-2 guys in that top tier caliber.

1) The Brewers should have as much money to spend as anyone this season.

Yeah......no.

Curios why anybody would ever think the Brewers would have as much money to spend as anyone since there is no salary cap and the Brewers will always be a small market.

Yeah......no.

Curios why anybody would ever think the Brewers would have as much money to spend as anyone since there is no salary cap and the Brewers will always be a small market.

Well, I think 50ish million raised to 120 million would be 70mil to spend for 2018. How many teams are going to add 70million or higher for the '18 season?

Now if we are giving away money for 4+seasons, certainly a big market can exceed the Brewers salary commitment as the seasons add up.

Anyway, this is being put in a Garza thread that should be closed at this point because you can't trade what you don't have. :tongue

Yeah......no.

I'm not looking at total payroll, just "free cash" or "room under the budget" available for 2018 payroll.

I don't think they'll max out, but if they did the Brewers could probably spend somewhere around $50M this offseason. That's probably more than any other team would add. Long term, we can't touch the money bigger markets can spend, but we have a lot of room in the budget to add money in the short term. For signing someone like Swarzak for a 1-2 year deal, we could spend as much as anyone would spend on him.

We will never be a big spender, but from 2008 until the start of the rebuild, we were generally in the middle of the pack for payroll (#15, 15, 13, 16, 14, 18, 15). We're now sitting with a very low payroll, and going from the bottom back to the middle means we have money to spend. With a lot of pre-arby guys on the roster and future pre-arby guys sitting in the minors, we will add some bigger salaries (through extensions, free agency or trade) in the near future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived