Brewer Fanatic

2017 Milwaukee Brewers Depth Chart

pacopete4

I just thought this would be a nice way to keep track moving forward into the season. The players used are on the list of the 40 man roster. If you think people should be re-arranged, let me know, or create discussion. I just tried to put them in some sort of order using last year and the updated depth chart on Brewers.com

Starting Pitchers

• 1. Guerra
    2. Davies
    3. Garza
    4. Nelson
    5. Peralta
    6. Anderson
    7. Jungmann
    8. Hader(L)
    9. Lopez
    10. Williams

Relief Pitchers

• 1. Thornburg
    2. Torres
    3. Knebel
    4. Marinez
    5. Geltz
    6. Parker
    7. Barnes
    8. Cravy
    9. Scahil
    10. Suter(L)
    11. Blazek
    12. Magnifico

Catchers

• 1. Maldonado
    2. Pina
    3. Susac

1st Base

• 1. Thames(L)
    2. Maldonado*
    3. Perez*

2nd Base

• 1. Gennett(L)
    2. Villar* (S)
    3. Rivera*

3rd Base

• 1. Villar(S)
    2. Perez
    3. Rivera*

Shortstop

• 1. Arcia
    2. Villar* (S)
    3. Rivera*

Left Field

• 1. Braun
    2. Perez*
    3. Cordell
    4. Reed*

Center Field

• 1. Broxton
    2. Niewenhuis*(L)
    3. Brinson

Right Field

• 1. Santana
    2. Niewenhuis(L)
    3. Perez*
    4. Reed
    5. Phillips(L)

Indications:

* - Not primary position

(L) - Bats or throws left handed

(S) - Switch Hitted

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Since they are on the 40 man I would add Jorge Lopez and Taylor Williams especially after reading yesterday from Mass Haas that Lopez is pitching so well in the Mexican League. Would probably still have Reed over Cordell right now on the depth chart, maybe Perez or Niewenhuis in LF since Braun will take his days off. I know you just took the relief pitchers directly from the Brewers site but doubt Scahil is the #2 reliever, believe they think highly of Barnes.

Since they are on the 40 man I would add Jorge Lopez and Taylor Williams especially after reading yesterday from Mass Haas that Lopez is pitching so well in the Mexican League. Would probably still have Reed over Cordell right now on the depth chart, maybe Perez or Niewenhuis in LF since Braun will take his days off. I know you just took the relief pitchers directly from the Brewers site but doubt Scahil is the #2 reliever, believe they think highly of Barnes.

I added Lopez and Williams as well as knocked Scahil down a few pegs.

I think you need to put Perez in all 3 of the OF spots, maybe even ahead of Nieuwenhuis, certainly ahead of Reed and Cordell.

I did not put him in all three OF spots but I did add him to LF and RF where he probably fits with playing time in those positions. I know a lot of posters hate Niewenhuis but until he's off this team, I cannot see him not getting playing time in CF and RF. He adds that left handedness to the team that you always talk about.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mostly looks good to me, but I see zero reason for Maldonado to be starting in 2017. Personally I'd move on from him completely, but if you absolutely must keep him around as the backup for a year in arbitration, I could see that.

Now is as good of time as any to give Susac an extended look.

I would not be adverse to giving Susac a shot at the starting catcher job. He's young, and was a pretty highly regarded prospect, may as well give him a shot. Nothing against Maldanado, but he is what he is at this point. Just a thought.

EDIT: The post above this one by adam was not there when I began composing this one, so I apologize for the redundancy.

I would not be adverse to giving Susac a shot at the starting catcher job. He's young, and was a pretty highly regarded prospect, may as well give him a shot. Nothing against Maldanado, but he is what he is at this point. Just a thought.

EDIT: The post above this one by adam was not there when I began composing this one, so I apologize for the redundancy.

Mostly looks good to me, but I see zero reason for Maldonado to be starting in 2017. Personally I'd move on from him completely, but if you absolutely must keep him around as the backup for a year in arbitration, I could see that.

Now is as good of time as any to give Susac an extended look.

I completely agree with both of you. I think that Susac should get every opportunity to win that job and prove that he is a starting MLB catcher. The only reason I have his at #3 is because Maldy started to end the year with Pina as his backup. Hopefully we can change that during spring training.

I added Lopez and Williams as well as knocked Scahil down a few pegs.

I think you need to put Perez in all 3 of the OF spots, maybe even ahead of Nieuwenhuis, certainly ahead of Reed and Cordell.

I did not put him in all three OF spots but I did add him to LF and RF where he probably fits with playing time in those positions. I know a lot of posters hate Niewenhuis but until he's off this team, I cannot see him not getting playing time in CF and RF. He adds that left handedness to the team that you always talk about.

Perez made 7 starts in CF last year. I don't think it's likely Brinson makes the team out of spring training unless Braun is traded and no major league OF (ie. Puig or Ethier) comes back in the deal. Most likely they start the season with 4 full time OF (as of now that's Braun, Broxton, Santana, and Nieuwenhuis) plus Perez which is why I'd list him at all 3 spots ahead of the minor league options.

I just thought this would be a nice way to keep track moving forward into the season. The players used are on the list of the 40 man roster. If you think people should be re-arranged, let me know, or create discussion. I just tried to put them in some sort of order using last year and the updated depth chart on Brewers.com

UPDATED: 12/6/16

Starting Pitchers

• 1. Guerra
    2. Davies
    3. Garza
    4. Nelson
    5. Peralta
    6. Anderson
    7. Jungmann
    8. Hader(L)
    9. Lopez
    10. Williams

Relief Pitchers

• 1. Torres
    2. Knebel
    3. Marinez
    4. Geltz
    5. Parker
    6. Barnes
    7. Cravy
    8. Scahil
    9. Suter(L)
    10. Blazek
    11. Magnifico
    12. Smith

Catchers

• 1. Maldonado
    2. Pina
    3. Susac

1st Base

• 1. Thames(L)
    2. Shaw (L)
    3. Maldonado*

2nd Base

• 1. Villar* (S)
    2. Gennett(L)
    3. Rivera*

3rd Base

• 1. Shaw (L)
    2. Perez
    3. Villar (S)
    4. Rivera*

Shortstop

• 1. Arcia
    2. Villar* (S)
    3. Rivera*

Left Field

• 1. Braun
    2. Perez*
    3. Shaw (L)
    4. Cordell
    5. Reed*

Center Field

• 1. Broxton
    2. Niewenhuis*(L)
    3. Brinson

Right Field

• 1. Santana
    2. Niewenhuis(L)
    3. Perez*
    4. Reed
    5. Phillips(L)

Indications:

* - Not primary position

(L) - Bats or throws left handed

(S) - Switch Hitted

• 2 weeks later...

If Braun was traded for pitching at the 2017 trade deadline would it be terrible to have L Brinson in CF, Keon in LF, and DSantana in RF?

BPhillips would be in AAA CF or have a path to that and more ab for more OF in the future...

That would be a fun and fast OF!

If Braun was traded for pitching at the 2017 trade deadline would it be terrible to have L Brinson in CF, Keon in LF, and DSantana in RF?

BPhillips would be in AAA CF or have a path to that and more ab for more OF in the future...

That would be a fun and fast OF!

It could really go either way. By the trade deadline you would have a better idea how Santana and Broxton are performing on a full time basis and how Brinson is doing in AAA. It could be awesome but certainly there is a scenario where it would be terrible.

Thanks for putting this together Brew4U. Obviously the big question is whether or not Braun is traded. Outside of that, I think we'll see one of the top six starting pitchers traded and we'll add a veteran reliever, guaranteeing him the closer spot. Other than that, we're probably pretty much where we'll be to start the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived