Brewer Fanatic

Cespedes to Mets - 4-years, $110M

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cespedes going back to the Mets - 4 year and $110M. Full no-trade clause.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/mets-to-re-sign-yoenis-cespedes.html

The crazy thing is that I thought he was going to get more.

One less big bat on the market. Potentially makes Braun more attractive to teams who may have been eying up Cespedes.

https://twitter.com/BrewCrewBlue/status/803679516929519617

(Cespedes') AAV $27.5 MM, Braun's is $20 MM guaranteed over the same period of time. Cespedes 2 years younger.

Good perspective on Braun's contract.

Braun is still every bit the offensive impact player Cespedes is. This just shows how much of a bargain he is and why if you do trade him, you better get a haul.

I think the average value per year is just about right, but I'm a bit surprised that Cepedes didn't get a fifth guaranteed season.

Just a big more perspective on Braun's contract. If Braun goes to a team on his no-trade list and has that final year converted into a player option, it would make it a 91 million dollar commitment over 5 years. Braun's performance is almost guaranteed to have slipped dramatically by that point, but his earnings would still be 19 million less than Cepedes even after having an extra year added onto the deal.

I also think Cepedes signing with the Mets is the best possible outcome for the Brewers. Of all the teams that could have come calling for Braun's services, the Mets would have been the last team that I would have wanted to deal with.

https://twitter.com/BrewCrewBlue/status/803679516929519617

(Cespedes') AAV $27.5 MM, Braun's is $20 MM guaranteed over the same period of time. Cespedes 2 years younger.

Good perspective on Braun's contract.

This just shows how much of a bargain he is and why if you do trade him, you better get a haul.

Actually in my opinion it is just proof that Ryan Braun isn't a bargain and more like market value. Offensively they are very similar production wise. Both we at 135 for their OPS+. So sure at face value that is $7.5mil surplus value for Braun a year which is great. However once we start factoring in other things that surplus will shrink fast:

1) Age-

Yoenis Cespedes is two years younger which is a huge deal once we start talking about 30+ year olds. Rumor has it the Dodgers were scared to offer too much because of the back end of Braun's deal. If Braun was two years younger that probably wouldn't be a problem and Bellinger would be a Brewer and Braun a Dodger.

2) Defense-

Yoenis Cespedes the last two years has played approximetely half his time in CF while Braun spends all of his time LF. Versatility is valuable and even more so at a premium position like CF.

3) Injury Concerns-

Like it or not, but Ryan Braun is very sketchy with the injury past. Thumb/back are really big chronic concerns and he is always having leg issues. Teams are scared of that stuff with older guys and even more so when they run around the outfield.

If Ryan Braun was such a bargain we would not have to pick up money and take on bad contracts to trade him. He is about market value. Maybe there is a little bit or surplus value on the contract, but to call it a bargain is probably a bit extreme. If they want anthing good in return the will have to pay for it by either kicking in money or by taking on bad contracts.

Archived