Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He looks like Prince Fielder if Prince Fielder decided to get ripped.

I still see Mr. T

I actually kind of like that, especially since his last name begins with T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=996sWjsvZQw

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Been about a year now since my first post advocating Thames signing. You're welcome.

You also wanted to DFA half the team because of bad starts.

Can you imagine a team with Thames, Khrush AND Scooter? :tongue

It's hard not to be excited about his start, I just hope he can continue to hit once the league starts to adjust to him and he's not another Chris Shelton.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Been about a year now since my first post advocating Thames signing. You're welcome.

It was a great idea -- not just well reasoned but creative. Too bad your egotism here isn't matched by the integrity to acknowledge the many, many more instances when you've been dead wrong.

Nieuwenhuis shouldn't be DFA'd? Ok maybe not. Yet. I'll give him 60 plate appearances. If he has 25 or more K's and fewer than 10 hits, he should be gone.

I'm not sure how we make this stick, but I am fully on board with the "Mr. T" nickname. Thames is jacked, only problem is he seems pretty level headed. He might not embrace it.

I pity the fools who have to pitch to him today.

Nieuwenhuis shouldn't be DFA'd? Ok maybe not. Yet. I'll give him 60 plate appearances. If he has 25 or more K's and fewer than 10 hits, he should be gone.

I wasn't talking about this year, it has been a 10 year or so trend now.

Glad he's off to a hot start. I never understood all skepticism he received after the signing. He put up video game numbers in Korea and Stearns liked him so much he signed him to a three-year deal. I hope he makes that contract look like a steal.

As to nicknames, I've been calling him "E.T.," and Aguilar is "Big Jesus."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just checked Thames's Baseball Reference page and it says, "Free Agent 2022." So, that means that with his arb years the Brewers could have Thames for FIVE YEARS including 2017? If that's the case, that's incredible value. If he's the real deal, look out.

I just checked Thames's Baseball Reference page and it says, "Free Agent 2022." So, that means that with his arb years the Brewers could have Thames for FIVE YEARS including 2017? If that's the case, that's incredible value. If he's the real deal, look out.

Not positive on this, but I think I remember hearing that like Aoki's deal, the Brewer's deal with Thames was worded so that they would eliminate his arby years and he would be a free agent after the three-year deal was done.

Edit: From Cot's

Eric Thames 1b

3 years/$16M (2017-19), plus 2020 option

3 years/$16M (2017-19), plus 2020 club option

signed by Milwaukee as a free agent 11/29/16

17:$4M, 18:$5M, 19:$6M, 20:$7.5M club option ($1M buyout)

may earn additional $0.5M annually in performance bonuses

assignment bonus if traded

may not be optioned or assigned to minors without permission

Milwaukee may not tender a contract to Thames and must release him at contract’s end

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Thames currently at 1.0 fWAR & 0.9 bWAR. If the price of a win on the free agent market is said to be right around 8 million dollars he is already halfway to "earning" his three year contract...two weeks into the first season.

Not positive on this, but I think I remember hearing that like Aoki's deal, the Brewer's deal with Thames was worded so that they would eliminate his arby years and he would be a free agent after the three-year deal was done.

Edit: From Cot's

Eric Thames 1b

3 years/$16M (2017-19), plus 2020 option

3 years/$16M (2017-19), plus 2020 club option

signed by Milwaukee as a free agent 11/29/16

17:$4M, 18:$5M, 19:$6M, 20:$7.5M club option ($1M buyout)

may earn additional $0.5M annually in performance bonuses

assignment bonus if traded

may not be optioned or assigned to minors without permission

Milwaukee may not tender a contract to Thames and must release him at contract’s end

Confusing, no? It says the Brewers have the club option for 2020, but then says they "must release him at contract's end." IE at the end of three years? Baseball Reference btw says that the 2020 deal is player's option:

2017 Contract Status: Signed thru 2019, 3 yrs/$16M (17-19) & 20 player option

Service Time (01/2017): 1.063 • Arb Eligible: 2020 • Free Agent: 2022

Not sure about the player vs team option (I sure hope it's a team option), but I read the part about "releasing at contract's end" to mean that they cannot offer arbitration once the contract is up, giving up any remaining "team control" and making him a free agent at that time.

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, I think baseball reference has some bad info here. The JS Online article also lists the 7.5 million as a team option and jibes with monty with regards to Thames being a free agent after the contract expires...

The deal will pay Thames $4 million in 2017, $5 million in 2018 and $6 million in 2019, with a club option for 2020 at $7.5 million, with a $1 million buyout. The contract stipulates that Thames cannot be sent to the minors without his permission. The Brewers also agreed not to offer him salary arbitration after the contract expires, allowing Thames to become a free agent ahead of schedule.

Yeah, I think baseball reference has some bad info here. The JS Online article also lists the 7.5 million as a team option and jibes with monty with regards to Thames being a free agent after the contract expires...

The deal will pay Thames $4 million in 2017, $5 million in 2018 and $6 million in 2019, with a club option for 2020 at $7.5 million, with a $1 million buyout. The contract stipulates that Thames cannot be sent to the minors without his permission. The Brewers also agreed not to offer him salary arbitration after the contract expires, allowing Thames to become a free agent ahead of schedule.

Thanks Dale - that makes the deal even more terrific, if Thames is the real deal. Which we should be closer to knowing by mid-season, after the second time through the division and all the adjustments teams and Thames have made. That would give us an incredible 1B option through 2020, well into the contending years, I'd say.

Archived