Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja
Low risk contract at a position of need that evens out a very right handed lineup. If he really sucks cut him. If he's better than advertised trade him. If he's what his contract says he is we have a stop gap until we are competitive. What's not to like?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say that I love signing a guy whose already 30, and hasn't played in the majors in 4 seasons (because he only hit .250 / .296 / .431 during his limited time in the bigs) to a 3-year deal.

Even if they do catch lightning in a bottle here, he can't be part of the long-term plans...so it's tough to see where they can get value out of trading him (fingers crossed on moving Carter after the DFA). While I certainly hope he does well, it's hard to see him as much more than a stopgap.

What is the success rate like for players coming over from Korea? I'm still kind of skeptical about this, but maybe he learned something over there and his success will translate.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

What is the success rate like for players coming over from Korea? I'm still kind of skeptical about this, but maybe he learned something over there and his success will translate.

well last year the twins signed Byungho Park, who is 30 too and had 2 seasons of 50+ homers in Korea only to hit 12 in his first season in the bigs.

There have only been about half a dozen or so guys to make the jump, so any success rate is skewed by sample size. It's still a "who knows" at this point.

On April 13, 2016 I posted the following on the transactions rumors forum:

"Eric Thames, former major leaguer who's put up incredible numbers in Korea the past couple seasons is a FA after this year. Apparently, he's not only flashing incredible power, with 84 HR combined in 14-15, and a high BA and OBP, but he's also stealing bases and playing some 1B. He's also saying he's considering a return to MLB.

Carter's off to a nice start in the power department, and maybe he'll sustain it to the degree where you bring him back (he's under control through 2018) but if not, Thames might be worth a look as a left handed power bat to compliment the newly found power hitter in Gennett, especially if he can play 1B. He'd also be a nice fit if they did happen to trade Braun"

Nice to hit on one for once.

well last year the twins signed Byungho Park, who is 30 too and had 2 seasons of 50+ homers in Korea only to hit 12 in his first season in the bigs.

Park might not be a good comparison for this.

one BIG difference is Park had never played over here before. Thames has played in MLB before.

IIRC Park also suffered a leg or foot injury early in the season. Those things tend to mess up swings & power until fully healed.

Thames is a great investment, very Stearns like. Best case scenario, he's a late bloomer and while he doesn't match his Korea numbers he ends up being a tremendous bat for cheap.

Worst case scenario he's a platoon bat and we buy him out for 1M after 3 years. Nice call Briggs.

I think a realistic floor is 260/340/810 while playing better defense at 1b than Carter. It's a cheaper alternative and upgrade to Carter. He won't match his HR output but doesn't need too because he does everything else better while still offering plenty of power. Him being a lefty is simply a bonus. While he offers corner OF versatility I can't see where he'll be there given he's the only 1b on the 40 (Perez can fill in there but he's not a regular). Wonder if Cooper is being looked at too as a righty compliment to fill in if Thames gets OF time or if the 3b we land has 1b experience too. Regardless, I'm a fan of this signing and I think the length makes sense too since only Cooper is in the pipeline

That league is equivalent of a low AAA or AA team..his numbers won't be anywhere near what he did in Korea. Its a lot of money for a .240.hitter and 15 homer guy. Let the predictions begin...

Maybe you should look at Thames AA and AAA numbers. He was great at both. There isn't one person who thinks he'll reproduce his Korean numbers. He's bigger and stronger than he was 3-4yrs ago and he seems to have figured it out elsewhere.

Stearns continues to show that in his version of a rebuild, talent needs to be acquired at all levels in any way possible. When he can get someone for what he perceives as a value, he gets him. If Thames can put up an OPS around .800 while playing good defense and stealing 20-30 bases, he would be a steal for around $5M/year.

I like Carter, but Thames could be a better all-around player with higher upside for less annual salary. Now I hope we can get something back for Carter. I don't expect much, since he's been DFA'd, but Stearns seems good at finding "hidden" talent, as he did when trading for Villar and Broxton, and in dealing away Lind. Maybe if he digs deep enough, he'll bring back another gem.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Interesting stipulations on the deal. Thames agrees to be optioned or outrighted at any time. Brewers agree not to offer him arbitration after the contract expires. Small re-assignment bonus to Thames if he's traded. 500K in bonuses available annually for PAs.

These projections seem to me to be wildly optimistic. Career in MLB: 21 HRs in 633 at bats. OBP=.296. Career OPS=.727---Scooter Gennett .738. Maybe he's better now but I doubt it.

Thurston Fluff said:

I think 260/340/810 is closer to his ceiling than his floor.

He's bigger and stronger with a shorter and more compact swing now compared to 2013. He's quicker to the ball with more whip. Also changed his stance (feet/base) and hand positioning. He looks much better now compared to when he was 24/25yrs old in MLB

Can't minimize the value of sticking a LH power bat into the middle of this heavy RH hitting lineup. His ability to play OF as well could put Nieuwenhuis' job in jeopardy.

There's definite upside here, and like reillymcshane points out, if he's a complete bust, it's not that huge of an investment at a time when they are still building.

It probably lessens (but doesn't eliminate) the chance Brewers will go out and sign Valbuena so if they trade Gennett, Perez would be in line to play 3B, or if they keep Gennett, Villar will start the year there.

I'm all for anything that puts Nieuwenhuis' job in jeopardy.

These projections seem to me to be wildly optimistic. Career in MLB: 21 HRs in 633 at bats. OBP=.296. Career OPS=.727---Scooter Gennett .738. Maybe he's better now but I doubt it.

Thurston Fluff said:

He's bigger and stronger with a shorter and more compact swing now compared to 2013. He's quicker to the ball with more whip. Also changed his stance (feet/base) and hand positioning. He looks much better now compared to when he was 24/25yrs old in MLB

Thames' numbers were good or even better than Kang's were in Korea and Kang has a major league OPS of .838, and Thames doesn't have to make a cultural adjustment coming back to the States.

Great call, Briggs. I like this a lot even though I think there's a real chance Thames will flop. Mainly I like this use of a roster spot a lot more than I would have liked re-signing Carter at market value. As others have said, Carter won't improve; Thames, in a weird way, has upside. If Thames ends up as even a two-win player this move will look brilliant. If he flops, he won't do much harm. A contract like this is nothing to the Brewers right now.

It seems we now have three guys -- Thames, Santana, and Braun -- who might fit either at 1b or corner of.

Thurston Fluff said:

To say that is his floor is really a stretch. Though he could very well be better, to say that is the lowest level of performance he can reach is pretty hard to justify. His floor is more like replacement level than a roughly league average major league player. His ceiling is far closer to major league average than his floor.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Love this move as I had started the Thames thread.

He's a LH hitter with pop, something Brewers desperately needed. If you believe the Brewers have a chance to step up as soon as 2018, this kind of move makes a ton of sense. Somewhat of a risk but one worth taking. If he's a semblance of the player he was in Korea, they have added a solid all around bat that will take walks and not strike out 200 times. I assume he can play 1B? If so, he's not blocking any prospects. Certainly explains the non-tender decision on Carter.

I can see .275/.350/.475 type of a line, with 25-30 HR.

Very well said & I agree wholeheartedly

The lefty power bat is huge, hard to fine, and should not be underestimated. Fits in the Stearns mode of athletic versatilty much better than the one dimensional Carter, too

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived