Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Thames has 2 WAR so far which is worth $16M on the market.

So if anyone mentions it's early, which it is, to put it in perspective, if Eric Thames never played another inning for the Brewers, he would have already been worth his entire $16M. It's April 25th of his first season here. Just incredible.

So, even tho I disagree with him about 9 out of 10 times I do have to say one more time....

Good call, Briggs.

I also liked the signing when it happened. I felt like it was a risk we could take but no one in their right might would of guessed we would of gotten Barry Bonds for the month of April. Simply incredible

He just hit another one against the Reds.

@AdamMcCalvy

Eric Thames has more home runs in six games against the Reds -- eight -- than any other hitter in MLB has home runs, period.

Can Bill Hall p[ossess a currently active player]?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Say what? So....6 WAR is worth $48 Million? Mike Trout is worth $80 Million a year?

Yah I couldn't wait for Thames to hit that 2 WAR mark just to prove how ridiculously stupid those WAR values are. I just don't like them at all. Just my personal opinion.

Community Moderator
Say what? So....6 WAR is worth $48 Million? Mike Trout is worth $80 Million a year?

If he could be counted on for 10 WAR per year, then yes, $80 million/year for Trout. He was responsible for about 40% of the Angels' WAR last year, so he is "worth" 40% of their payroll. However, there is risk involved, for instance $26 million to Josh Hamilton last year for 0 WAR.

Clayton Kershaw is getting paid $35 million/year to generate ~6-7 WAR so it wouldn't be a shock to see Trout's next contract exceed $40 million/year.

Community Moderator
Trout has averaged 9.5 WAR the last 5 years and has 1.9 WAR so far this year. As great as he is, ain't nobody paying him $75 Million a year!

Of course not. But it doesn't change the fact that the Angels could have a similar record with a roster of Mike Trout and 24 near-replacement level players (~0.5 WAR each).

By the way, Ramon Flores owes the Brewers ~$10 million.

Does anybody else still have a hard time saying Thames? I still want to pronounce it like the river.

I instictively want to say 'Tames' - like the river. This is likely because I'm a history/geography nerd, and also it makes no sense to pronounce 'Thames' as 'Tames' - so every time I would see it a mental flag pops up reminding me to pronounce it as 'Tames'.

As a history/Econ teacher, I always want to say "Temz" like the river. Then I adjust to "Themz." Only lately have a started to correctly say "Thames." It's hard trying to retrain myself after saying that spelling one way for 20 years.

I have an early flight, but thought I'd point out a comparison:

Thames 633AB 21HR .250/.296/.727

J Bautista 1754AB 59HR .238 (don't have time to calculate)

That's comparing Thames before breakout year with Bautista before breakout year. Sometimes guys need time.

He just hit another one against the Reds.

@AdamMcCalvy

Eric Thames has more home runs in six games against the Reds -- eight -- than any other hitter in MLB has home runs, period.

Can Bill Hall p[ossess a currently active player]?

We'll see on Mother's day.

He would be worth more to a competitive team too. Sure nobody is going to pay him that much but you would also have to take into account aging curves and injury risk. You can't project Trout to keep doing what he is doing even next season much less 6+ seasons from now which is how long his contract will be.

Trout has 35mil coming to him per year in a contract signed what? 1 year ago extending his team control just 2years. Not saying he'll get 75million, but Harper may get 50million in a season in his FA contract. I think right now a Team would pay Thames 20mil a year after this start. 11HRs in less than 1month? Think Playoff time and the contract for Cespedes who's HR ability in spurts is a game changer. Thames just became that and higher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I love this quote from Thames - with regard to the testing they are doing of him.

"If people keep thinking I'm on stuff, I'll be here every day. I have a lot of blood and urine."

He has now been 'randomly' tested twice in one week.

Honestly, since the Crew has Thames through the 2020 season, why not just hang onto him at least through 2018 and see how things are shaping up? They could still get a gigantic haul as they head into contending years, or have him be a huge part of that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Honestly, since the Crew has Thames through the 2020 season, why not just hang onto him at least through 2018 and see how things are shaping up? They could still get a gigantic haul as they head into contending years, or have him be a huge part of that.

That's just it - Brewers don't have to do a thing. They can wait it out and see how the prospects develop. If things are looking up then keep him, if things are bleak then trade him and reap the rewards. Nice place to be.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

3 random drug tests already this year.

The hunt is on!

Maybe not blue?

Definitely not a blue statement. Clearly they are trying everything to catch Thames if there is anything to catch.

Yea. Like I mentioned in the other thread, it seems like MLB is on a witch hunt to catch people. Random tests...twice within a week? Cmon.

at some point the Brewers run out of games against the Reds...and at some point teams will really start pitching him differently. Saw a fantastic graphic of all pitches thrown during the ABs that ended in a Thames HR that illustrates how locked in he is currently by not swinging at bad pitches. When he's forcing pitchers to throw strikes to get him out, he's able to get a good swing more often than not. And he's crushing any mistake that he sees.

It'll be interesting to see if he can keep his discipline up when he runs into better pitching that will be looking to get him to chase. He seems willing to draw walks, and if anything it looks like Korea really helped him adjust to breaking balls/offspeed.

No way this can keep up to the point where he's the story in MLB all year long, but it sure is fun right now!

Archived