Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two more for Thames tonight. 10 homers on the season through 20 games and 3 innings. Wow.

Now just 52 HRs shy of breaking the all-time single season non-PED aided HR record.

Just 42 HR shy of breaking the all time I came here after dominating an Asian league HR record set by Cecil Fielder too.

Does anybody else still have a hard time saying Thames? I still want to pronounce it like the river.

Nope. It is said exactly like it looks. The other pronunciation seems wrong even if it is more "popular".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Does anybody else still have a hard time saying Thames? I still want to pronounce it like the river.

I instictively want to say 'Tames' - like the river. This is likely because I'm a history/geography nerd, and also it makes no sense to pronounce 'Thames' as 'Tames' - so every time I would see it a mental flag pops up reminding me to pronounce it as 'Tames'.

Amazing he's hit 7 off the Reds. Maybe it's not steroids, maybe it's Reds' pitching

Pretty much what I thought. Add in five came in Great American Ballpark while hitting against said pitching and it probably also explains why the team is leading the majors in homeruns.

Or, to be fair to Bosio and Lackey, it could just mean something is head scratching about the whole Brewer team. The conspiracy might go all the way to the top. It always made me scratch my head as to how Mark Attanasio got so rich. I mean, we all know he was well into his 30's when it happened. Gotta wonder. Maybe he's at home right now injecting his $1 bills with some beef roids so they turn into $100 bills. Makes you scratch your head doesn't it? Guess there is nothing left to do but become Cub fans and help them celebrate the 25th anniversary of the great homerun race with a statue of Sammy Sosa in a few years.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I do. And it's mostly because of Marcus Thames who played in the majors about 5 years ago. His name is pronounced as TIMMS.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I do. And it's mostly because of Marcus Thames who played in the majors about 5 years ago. His name is pronounced as TIMMS.

Yeah, that is the guy I always struggled to get wrong because it seemed so wrong.

In celebration of Thames historical month lets take a look back at some reactions from back when we signed him. I removed people's names because I am not going to call anyone out as we all have predictions come out to be wrong. Just a reminder that baseball is a crazy game and there are productive players hiding everywhere and anywhere. You may not agree with a move, but sometimes it works out.

Might be the first Stearns move that I really don't see the point of

While I certainly hope he does well, it's hard to see him as much more than a stopgap.

This is a ridiculous deal for a ridiculous length of time.

I hate this deal. They had to give a 4A player a three year deal, really?

Personal favorite:

Its a lot of money for a 15 homer guy.

While I certainly hope he does well, it's hard to see him as much more than a stopgap.

viewtopic.php?p=1012363#p1012363

I'm not about to hide from my post. Thames is certainly overachieving my expectations...but he's also 30 on a rebuilding team, meaning by the time our farm nucleus is ready to challenge for a playoff spot, Thames will be on the wrong side of 30. (I also wrote: "Even if they do catch lightning in a bottle here, he can't be part of the long-term plans.")

I hope he plays well for the next 15 months, and gets traded at the deadline for players who will be a part of the nucleus going forward.

I'm rooting for the guy, so long as he's wearing a Brewers uniform. I also can't help but notice that 70% of his HRs have come at the expense of the Reds...who gave up more HR (258) than any other team in 2016.

If you have problems with Thames, I suggest you start working on Oluwademilade Oluwadamilola Orimoloye now. Give yourself a 3 year headstart.

That one's easy: Oluwademilade Oluwadamilola Orimoloye

It's a nice, easy 4 letter name. Demi

Yup, only 4 letters in that name.

I'm rooting for the guy, so long as he's wearing a Brewers uniform. I also can't help but notice that 70% of his HRs have come at the expense of the Reds...who gave up more HR (258) than any other team in 2016.

Hey, they are only fifth worst in HR/9 this year so far. And if you take out Thames' HRs...

I'm not about to hide from my post. Thames is certainly overachieving my expectations...but he's also 30 on a rebuilding team, meaning by the time our farm nucleus is ready to challenge for a playoff spot, Thames will be on the wrong side of 30. (I also wrote: "Even if they do catch lightning in a bottle here, he can't be part of the long-term plans.")

I hope he plays well for the next 15 months, and gets traded at the deadline for players who will be a part of the nucleus going forward.

So you hope he does really well and one way or another contributes to both the current future success of the Brewers? Agreed.

Not sure why his success would be anything but good for the Brewers, whether it's in potential trade value or production in a contending Brewers lineup. Worst case scenario would be to hold on to the guy until his value is gone (something the Brewers are quite proficient at...), and even that would be a missed opportunity rather than a negative. No need to try to find the negatives in Thames' signing to date, because there are none.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Thames is certainly overachieving my expectations...but he's also 30 on a rebuilding team, meaning by the time our farm nucleus is ready to challenge for a playoff spot, Thames will be on the wrong side of 30.

The average age of World Series winning teams this decade has consistently been around 29 years old for position players, with the Cubs last year by far the youngest at 27.2. Every World Series winning team this decade except for the 2010 Giants had a pitching staff with an average age over 30. The Cubs last year - 30.3 (and only had one starter under the age of 30).

You don't win World Series with teams full of 26 year olds.

Archived