Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja

I thinks it's ridiculous to make accusations with no evidence just because a guy had a hot week.

Should 1 of the brewer coaches insinuate that Bryant is using because he had a huge 2016 season?

When a guy gets caught say whatever you want.....until,then shut up and play the game.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's one thing for fan's to speculate. It's quite another for players to do so.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Here's the Bosio transcript in case anyone is wondering what he said:

Well, the bottom line is [Thames] has hit the ball and we gotta figure out a way to get around [it]. All that other stuff, I’ll let other people worry about. But he’s doing stuff that I haven’t seen done for a long time.

You start thinking about Ken Griffey Jr., Manny Ramirez when he went to the Dodgers, Barry Bonds … You’re talking about some of the greatest players to ever play this game. So, yeah, it’s probably a ‘head-scratcher’ because nobody knows who this guy is. And when he was here before, his body has changed. But, like I said, I’ll leave that to everyone else and we’re just gonna try to worry about how to pitch him better and get him out.”

What I put in bold font is what I take issue with. Somebody posted a picture of him in this thread from his previous MLB stint. He has always been jacked. This nonsense of "his body has changed" is pretty unfounded.

What I italicized is a pet-peeve of mine. It's the "I'm not saying XYZ, but other people are saying it" strategy used by people who propagate conspiracy theories and cast suspicions on others with zero factual evidence to back up what you (I mean, "other people") are saying, while attempting to distance yourself from responsibility for the innuendo.

Gruber Lawffices

Thames is a great story in baseball right now, but because he just tore up Cub pitching their response is to throw unfounded accusations at him that could seriously hurt his image. How would Cub fans (and MLB) respond if Counsell said something like "Yeah, the Cub thing last year was alright. It's too bad they had to cheat to win, but I'll let other people worry about that. We're just trying to win ball games."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Players can speculate all they want. Just do it privately.

yeah that's what I was getting at

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I know he has passed the eye test for me at least. Digging into his deeper stats like exit velocity, contact rates, chase rate, barrels etc he passes all of those as well. He is basically Nolan Arrenado so far. Last year Neil Walker hit like 9 HR in April but none of the background stats said it was for real, that isn't the case here. I don't know if he can keep up the background stats, he certainly can't keep up the results. But this is a contract that easily could pay back all 3 years by the all star break and the rest is profit.

[sarcasm]Shocking that an athletes body has changed and gotten stronger since he was 25/26.... Not too mention he was a pretty small guy before Korea[/sarcasm] What a joke

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Leave it to douchebag Lackey to accuse him of PEDs, albeit somewhat subtly. Also, wouldn't shock me, just don't like tools like Lackey throwing it around casually in a press conference.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/4/18/15341428/john-lackey-eric-thames-ped-steroids

"you don't see that happen here very often."

Yes, it is very rare to see major league hitters hit horrible belt-high hanging sliders over the outfield wall.

I know he has passed the eye test for me at least. Digging into his deeper stats like exit velocity, contact rates, chase rate, barrels etc he passes all of those as well. He is basically Nolan Arrenado so far. Last year Neil Walker hit like 9 HR in April but none of the background stats said it was for real, that isn't the case here. I don't know if he can keep up the background stats, he certainly can't keep up the results. But this is a contract that easily could pay back all 3 years by the all star break and the rest is profit.

How about Trevor Story? Wasnt his rookie year and 1st week or 2 filled even hotter than Thames at this point?

Now that Thames has taken the Cardinals deep to add to his total, is anyone else just waiting for a similar comment from a STL player/coach/journalist?

Maybe from Johnny Peralta while doing an interview on the field below the Mark Mcguire section in left field.

Dave Shoenfield from ESPN made this great comment in his column today regarding Thames - and the insinuations from Lackey and Bosio that he is on PEDs:

"The Cubs win a ring and start whining like Red Sox fans."

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/78884/crazy-numbers-early-trends-and-the-meaning-of-what-weve-seen-so-far

Now that Thames has taken the Cardinals deep to add to his total, is anyone else just waiting for a similar comment from a STL player/coach/journalist?

No -- are you crazy? They're not irrational. I mean, it's not like he did something awful, like untucking his jersey after a game or something.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

0 for 4 with 2K's tonight. Must've stopped the PEDs for a day.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived