Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Eric Thames (3 years)

jerichoholicninja
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well this guy has been fun to watch so far. I have to think that pitchers will catch up to him soon and he'll go on a slump. Question is can he get out of it or not?

Given his approach of keeping his swing compact and focusing on only swinging at strikes, I think he can get out of a slump when it happens. The only way he really will fall flat for an extended period is if there is a hole in his swing within the strike zone. Even then, pitchers will have to hit the spot.

He will cool down and we will find out where his baseline is. Until then, enjoy the wave he's riding.

Leave it to douchebag Lackey to accuse him of PEDs, albeit somewhat subtly. Also, wouldn't shock me, just don't like tools like Lackey throwing it around casually in a press conference.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/4/18/15341428/john-lackey-eric-thames-ped-steroids

Lackey has always been a Grade A douche.

Thames was garbage in Spring Training.

Now he's hot.

He's not going to put up a 1.4 OPS for the season so he will cool off. Probably somewhere between his horrible spring and this torrid 10 day hot streak.

It would be really nice if he could hit .290 and put up a .900 OPS

On Intentional Talk today he mentioned he didn't wear his golden Korean pads because he thought everyone would drill him at 95 MPH in the ribs for doing it. Thought that was funny.

I've been wondering if his pads are even legal. I know a few years ago they had a crack down on anything that was covering more than a joint or injury. Thames pad goes from about mid forearm to mid bicep. Looks pretty similar to what Bonds was wearing before it was banned.

Yeah, that's garbage. The guy has 7 homeruns, not 20. Guys have hit homeruns like this before, I believe the record is 7 games in a row (Mench I think for sure as a Ranger??). To imply a guy is cheating just because he hit you hard is bush league.

Add that to fact that of course, Thames was "randomly" drug tested last night after the game. Just garbage to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lackey couldn't spell PED if you spotted him the P and the D
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Uh this guy is quikcly becoming my favorite person of all time:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/04/18/eric-thames-brewers-korea-god-home-runs/100592868/

“I came to Milwaukee before I signed, checked it out, and after an hour I knew it was where I wanted to be. I love the Midwest. I love the hospitality of people. And Milwaukee has great beer.

“I love beer.’’

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hope they have a bunch of shirtseys in stock at Miller Park, he has folk-hero written all over him.

The Brewers are probably already planning shirseys with THAMES written in Korean characters - not unlike was done (in Japanese) for Nori Aoki.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, that's garbage. The guy has 7 homeruns, not 20. Guys have hit homeruns like this before, I believe the record is 7 games in a row (Mench I think for sure as a Ranger??). To imply a guy is cheating just because he hit you hard is bush league.

Add that to fact that of course, Thames was "randomly" drug tested last night after the game. Just garbage to me.

They mentioned it in the broadcast last night, but its 8 games done 3 times. Most recent was griffey in 93. Mattingly in 87 and dale long in 56 were the other 2. Mattingly hit 10 over that 8 game stretch as well.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Leave it to douchebag Lackey to accuse him of PEDs, albeit somewhat subtly. Also, wouldn't shock me, just don't like tools like Lackey throwing it around casually in a press conference.

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/4/18/15341428/john-lackey-eric-thames-ped-steroids

Now he's hot.

He's not going to put up a 1.4 OPS for the season so he will cool off. Probably somewhere between his horrible spring and this torrid 10 day hot streak.

If a .263/.368/.404/.771 line is what he maintains while he's "garbage", then we have a very special player on our hands.

Not surprised at all about Lackey's comments. I actually would have been more surprised had he not whined to the media after the game.

I don't really condone beanball wars, but would never mind seeing Lackey take one in the ribs for this and other comments he loves to say after games. The hell with that guy.

Now he's hot.

If a .263/.368/.404/.771 line is what he maintains while he's "garbage", then we have a very special player on our hands.

I should clarify.

Thames put up a .263 BA during spring training including a very slow start.

During the season so far his BA is .405.

Its all relative.

With that said, I did not realize Thames had gotten his spring OBP up to .368. Thanks for pointing that out. In light of the .368 OBP his spring was not "garbage" but he was nowhere near where he is now.

Anyone else want to see Thames hit a rocket right back at Lackey the next time they meet (not hoping for injury, just make Lackey change his pants).

Seriously MLB showed his swing now and back when he was with Toronto, and they looked identical. He has just learned to not swing at junk outside the zone. There's been a lot of Brewers that I wish had learned that.

I recall that when I was a kid lo these many years ago, the "gentle giant" Frank "Hondo" Howard clubbed 10 homers in a week. Actually, in six days according to this piece in the Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55573-2005Mar21.html

In May 1968, the Senators' most popular player went on a record-setting binge, belting 10 homers in 20 at-bats over six games. He ranks among the top five home run hitters of the '60s -- with Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew, Willie Mays and Willie McCovey.

He looks like Prince Fielder if Prince Fielder decided to get ripped.

He looks like Prince Fielder if Prince Fielder's genes had allowed him to grow a few inches taller. Prince was always ripped during his time in Milwaukee. He just has a shorter, squat physique. Thames looks like Prince's half-brother, whose mom was tall. I can't not see 'Tall Prince Fielder' when I watch Thames.

I am loving Eric Thames. I spent the first few games in awe of how freaking shredded he is. He legitimately looks like an NFL linebacker.

And some of his HRs have been off of pretty good pitchers' pitches. He's not just mashing mistakes right now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not surprised at all about Lackey's comments. I actually would have been more surprised had he not whined to the media after the game.

I don't really condone beanball wars, but would never mind seeing Lackey take one in the ribs for this and other comments he loves to say after games. The hell with that guy.

+1. Where is McClung when you need him

Bosio is apparently insinuating foul play too. What a bunch of clowns. Jason Heyward is good again, he's probably on the roids too!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Bosio is apparently insinuating foul play too. What a bunch of clowns. Jason Heyward is good again, he's probably on the roids too!

I remember Bosio as a Brewer, when he was so out of shape that he couldn't pitch once the weather heated up, as he turned into a big ball of sweat. I can understand how he can't comprehend how someone who is committed to working out could get into great shape, but for a team filled with guys who hit the ball a long ways, and coming from a hot-headed pitcher who is about five years past the point where most guys can no longer pitch at the MLB level, I wouldn't start throwing around unfounded allegations.

If we do want to start tossing around unfounded accusations, I would question how Arrieta became a rock-solid physical specimen who suddenly "learned to pitch" once he became a Cub, and why Rizzo (who was traded away by two teams before suddenly becoming a superstar) occasionally goes into "Roid rage" tantrums on the field. Schwarber is every bit as questionable as Thames when it comes to hitting (did he get tested after his World Series HR?), and ancient Ross was somehow able to play like a 25-year-old star after a grueling season at catcher. And why is it that they were able to go through an entire season with everyone playing at the top of their ability with basically no one other than Schwarber needing any time off for injury? Sounds like something that could happen if they were all on HGH.

I think there's a "glass houses" saying when it comes to accusing someone of something with no cause when there are a lot of things for which people could question you. They're probably best served just shutting their mouths and playing. They have nothing to gain from accusing the Brewers of something, when the Brewers are not likely to be very competitive this year. This just seems like something to get the friendly Cub media to divert the attention of the Cub fans to keep them from discussing the fact that the Cubs are not playing good baseball right now. But to me, accusing someone of a fairly serious rules violation in order to justify your own faults is a very classless act, and I wish the media would call them out on it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

As Brewer fans, I think we too should just keep our mouths shut when it comes to any PED accusations against Thames (or anyone else for that matter). We have no idea if he is, or isn't, or ever will take anything. How many here would have scoffed at the idea of Braun ever getting suspended for PED's 6 or 7 years ago?

As Brewer fans, I think we too should just keep our mouths shut when it comes to any PED accusations against Thames (or anyone else for that matter). We have no idea if he is, or isn't, or ever will take anything. How many here would have scoffed at the idea of Braun ever getting suspended for PED's 6 or 7 years ago?

I wouldn't scoff at the idea of anyone getting suspended for PEDs, nobody would surprise me. And I have no idea if Thames uses or not. But I think guys are entitled to at least the benefit of the doubt until there is reason to suspect otherwise. I think it's very bush league to publicly question a player's integrity based solely on the fact that you couldn't retire him all night.

Archived