Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim RHP Steve Geltz, DFA Walker (Latest: Orioles claim Walker; post 17)

JDBrewCrew

The Brewer Nation ‏@BrewerNation 1m1 minute ago

#Brewers announce that they have been awarded a waiver claim on RHP Steve Geltz from Tampa Bay. OF Adam Walker, himself just claimed, DFA'd.

Milwaukee Brewers

RHP Steve Geltz has been claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay. OF Adam Walker has been designated for assignment.

http://m.mlb.com/player/544993/steve-geltz

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=544993#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 39s40 seconds ago

Brewers asst GM Matt Arnold previously worked in Tampa Bay front office and obviously knows Geltz well.

Parker and Geltz have both had some major league success and have dominated hitters in high minors. Either or both could be useful this year and not cost anything. Marco Estrada rebounded from a season where he was giving up ton of HR. Maybe Geltz can too with a change of scenery. Walker claim never made any sense.

I'm expecting them to focus on a lefty reliever (Tyler Webb?) in Rule 5 if one doesn't come available otherwise.

Something has got to be coming trade-wise. Right now I count six starters, 11 relievers (not including guys likely slated for the minors such as Magnifico), plus Jungmann, who I'd considered a sleeper pick to finish next season as the Brewers' setup man. I have a feeling Torres is going to end up getting traded.

There are some pen spots open so creating plenty of competition makes sense. Thornburg, Barnes, Knebel, Torres should be locks. Leaves 3-4 spots open. Marinez, Geltz, Parker, Magnifico, Suter, Scahill, Blazek, Cravy all on the 40 still and some of these guys could be gone via trade. I'm baffled how Walker is DFA'd over some of these other guys though

Even if there is a trade of bullpen arms coming I'm not really sure why they're claiming these older relievers. Especially when it prevented protecting some young guys or risks losing a guy like Walker who offers the organization more than Parker or Geltz ever could. You can find guys of the same quality and better at the end of spring training as teams make cuts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Orioles pick up Walker off of waivers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 1 month later...

Not Cravy - he's pretty close to a lock. He made some adjustments last year to hide the ball better. He got hit around at his spot start in Cincy, and granted last year was a small sample, but as a reliever last year he had a .452 OPS-A.

He gave up three HRs last year, two during his spot start at Cincy with one to Votto and one to Phillips, and then one in the "bullpen day" start the last day of the year at Colorado to Charlie Blackmon (who hit 29 last year). That's going to skew his FIP, but he was outstanding in the bullpen, and there is no shame in giving up HRs to those guys in those parks.

Funny the parallels between Walker and Jed Bradley, both picked up by the Orioles and added to and dropped from their 40-man roster, and what people think of each one.

Archived