Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim RHP Blake Parker, DFA Goforth

JDBrewCrew

Milwaukee BrewersVerified account

‏@Brewers

RHP Blake Parker claimed off waivers from LA of Anaheim. RHP David Goforth designated for assignment.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=453284#/career/R/pitching/2016/ALL

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/parkebl01.shtml

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 3m3 minutes ago

Parker pitched in the Majors for Mariners and Yankees in 2016

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 2m2 minutes ago

Blake Parker, 31, is 3-3 with 3.87 ERA in 91 games in majors with Cubs, Mariners and Yankees.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 1m1 minute ago

Blake Parker spent much of 2016 with Seattle’s AAA Tacoma affiliate: 1-2, 2.72 ERA in 38 relief appearances, 19 saves, 56 Ks in 39.2 IP.

From MLBTR.com:

He’s an extreme fly-ball pitcher

Also notable that his MLB numbers are pretty bad out of 40 innings one year with the Cubs in 2013. Since then, in limited action, he has been pretty bad. He is an extreme fly ball pitcher who gives up a lot of walks. Though he does strike out a lot of batters and if he is limitting walks he ends up pretty productive.

Probably just organization depth for the bullpen with some low upside he pitches well and can be flipped for minimal return.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 40s40 seconds ago

#Brewers pitching coach Derek Johnson would be familiar with RHP Blake Parker from their time together in Cubs system.

Tom ‏@Haudricourt 26s26 seconds ago

Just spoke with #Brewers GM David Stearns about Parker. Said pro scouts and analytics like him. Still throws low-mid 90s and has splitter.

From MLBTR.com:

He’s an extreme fly-ball pitcher

Also notable that his MLB numbers are pretty bad out of 40 innings one year with the Cubs in 2013. Since then, in limited action, he has been pretty bad. He is an extreme fly ball pitcher who gives up a lot of walks. Though he does strike out a lot of batters and if he is limitting walks he ends up pretty productive.

Probably just organization depth for the bullpen with some low upside he pitches well and can be flipped for minimal return.

"a lot of walks"?? I wouldn't say 33 BB in 90 major league innings is a huge red flag. He's been very good in AAA for a few seasons including 2016 when he posted a 5-1 SO to walk ratio and fanned 12 per 9 innings in the PCL West. He had 2 bad outings in the majors in 2016, made worse when the relievers who followed him allowed 4 of his runners to score. He allowed just 2 runs in his other 15 outings.

He could turn out to be a nice cheap bullpen piece much like Torres was.

Kudos to Stearns on the first move of the offseason that improves the 2017 roster, albeit a small one.

Well, there's the Goforth DFA. Not exactly who most would like to see fill Goforth's spot.

Looks like Parker was out with an injury for most of 2015. In 2013 he put up good numbers across the board, in 2014 put up good numbers in the minors (13.1 K/9, 4.00 K/BB, 7.1 H/9) as well as 2016 (12.7 K/9, 5.09 K/BB, 5.4 H/9). Maybe there's something, but I'm kind of with jericoholicninja here - the analytics might be getting a little ahead of themselves.

Potentially this year's Torres or Boyer, only as an early-winter 40-man add rather than a late-winter NRI or late-spring MLB signing. If he sticks 'til spring, probably fine. If not, he's as potentially "disposable" as a fringe guy as many here (myself included) feel Goforth is.

Before he was claimed from the Yankees by the Angels, this article discussed the state of the New York 40-man roster --

Pre-arbitration relievers who made a surprising first impression

Tommy Layne, Richard Bleier, Blake Parker

Who would have thought when the Yankees added these three that we'd even discuss the possibility of keeping them? Reality is, these three are still incredibly cheap and just outpitched many of the alternatives currently on the roster. Parker doesn't have particularly standout numbers, but that's because of two ugly outings. He was excellent the rest of the time and clearly became the sixth man in the bullpen by the end of the year (ahead of many other relievers currently on the roster).

I guess I'll trust the brain trust on this one but a 31 year old reliever with sketchy numbers seems rather pointless.

Yeah I'd rather take a shot at the dartboard with a rule 5 pickup

Ah, the Junior Guerra acquisition seemed pointless a year ago as did the claim of Carlos Torres. Both were in their 30's. Both now have trade value.

Parker's spot on the 40 man is more secure than a couple others too if they choose to make a rule 5 pick. My guess is they'll add a lefty reliever in rule 5.

Torres had strong years in 2013, 2014 so it didn't seem pointless at all. Guerra was for depth and he learned a new pitch and dominated (Brewers got lucky). I'd give Parker a chance over Goforth any day.

I think Scahill will be removed and Scooter, Maldy traded clearing more spots with a Rule 5 pen arm coming (hoping Webb).

Archived