Brewer Fanatic

Rule 5 Prep

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tyrone Taylor was our top prospect in a bad farm system a few years ago and Clint Coulter was a #1 pick. Now both could be gone to the Rule 5 Draft. Crazy.

I seriously doubt either are taken. Coulter's status as a former #1 pick is rather meaningless at this point. Taylor played his way down the prospect charts.

I seriously doubt either are taken. Coulter's status as a former #1 pick is rather meaningless at this point. Taylor played his way down the prospect charts.

Yeah, I doubt either are taken either. Just crazy to think where they were just a few years ago, now unprotected and not likely to be picked.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Really hope we don't regret keeping guys like Neuwenheiss and Goforth on the 40 and leaving Miguel Diaz and WCW unprotected.

I don't really get that part either. They could have outrighted both plus Scahill, Maldonado and Reed and I wouldn't have lost any sleep.

I'm hoping they just plan to try to trade some. Nieuwenhuis is a nice 4th OFer but he steals way, way too many ABs from the young guys.

Coulter and Taylor aren't going anywhere. I could see Diaz or Wang selected but it's not earth shattering if that's the case. I agree with everyone else regarding Goforth, Scahill and others - don't see the point in keeping them on the 40 over Diaz and Wang other than they can contribute to the MLB roster right now.

I really like the Walker sign and hope he sticks with the Brewers as a power bat off the bench. You'd think they'd be putting a 1b glove in his hand right away increasing his versatility. He could end up being the 1b solution in the short-term moving forward. I still see us keeping Carter and maybe trading him by the deadline with Walker taking over after that

How many Rule 5 picks does each team get?

Draft held at the end of the winter meetings.

Only teams with open 40 man roster spots can 'draft' a player during the major league phase.

then there is a AAA and AA phase, basically going thru the draft order 1 time each.

Entire draft normally done in an hour to 90 minutes.

How many Rule 5 picks does each team get?

They can select as many players as they have open 40-man roster spots. They have until three days before the draft to clear 40-man spots.

So the maximum number of picks is set before the winter meetings? I was hoping the Brewers could do some deals to open up a spot or two, but it sounds like they will have to do something beforehand.

[sarcasm]Can you take guys from your own system?:)[/sarcasm]

Via Baseball America:

In 1988, the Braves drafted a player from themselves. They neglected to protect righthander Ben Rivera on the 40-man roster, had the first pick in the draft and took him.

So is he stuck on your 25 man roster then and follow all other Rule 5 guidelines? That would be embarrassing.

[sarcasm]Can you take guys from your own system?:)[/sarcasm]

Via Baseball America:

In 1988, the Braves drafted a player from themselves. They neglected to protect righthander Ben Rivera on the 40-man roster, had the first pick in the draft and took him.

So is he stuck on your 25 man roster then and follow all other Rule 5 guidelines? That would be embarrassing.

Well I guess if he doesn't stay on the 25-man roster he likely "returns" to your organization, right? Strange scenario.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Via Baseball America:

Well I guess if he doesn't stay on the 25-man roster he likely "returns" to your organization, right? Strange scenario.

Doesn't he actually get exposed to waivers first - and then if no one claims him, the original team would get him?

Doesn't he actually get exposed to waivers first - and then if no one claims him, the original team would get him?

Yes, that would be correct. I forgot about the waivers step, looks like I need a Rule 5 refresher course.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Brewers feel strongly about any of the players in the draft, guys like Goforth and Scahill could just be DFA'd between now and the deadline.

for whats its worth here is a list of top players available:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2016-rule-5-draft-preview/#Zgmf6kWrK4CLRMBp.97

Phillip Evans from the mets seems intriguing

Julian Fernandez would be fun too. Sounds like Wild Thing.

Would be a lot like the Wang situation. If we keep him all year he would probably go to Wisconsin or maybe Carolina next year. 100mph is 100 mph though.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived