Brewer Fanatic

Brewers purchase the contracts of Hader, Brinson, Cordell, Phillips, and T. Williams; claim OF Adam Walker from Minnesota

And That
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Walker, a Milwaukee native, is now a member of the Brewers' organization.

Walker profiles as a 30ish homer, 200 K first baseman. Does that remind you of anyone?

Walker is 25, he is what he is, and if he's going to play in the big leagues, it's about that time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=walker002ada

I'm curious to this because he's never played first base in his pro baseball career.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm curious to this because he's never played first base in his pro baseball career.

You're right, I shouldn't have just come out and said that, because he's been an outfielder to this point, but it's what I believe the intent is. No one has told me that, so I shouldn't have just put it in the post, but it's what I think they'll do with him.

I don't think the comparisons to Carter are quite accurate - similar profile, but Carter walked more and struck out less in the minors.

When you are fanning 200 times in AA and AAA, that doesn't bode well for major leagues. Maybe they see a guy who can make the same adjustment Broxton made.

His strikeout rate is alarming even by Brewer standards, and he's yet another RH bat on a roster full of them.

You realize he projects as almost a Khris Davis clone, right? I mean, Walker strikes out a bit more, but Khrush isn't far behind at 166, both corner outfield slugging righties...

Always take a chance on a guy with at least one outstanding tool.... Hope the rest clicks. Doesn't hurt at all. He is not Chris Carter because is a legit 3 option player. He is going to HR, Walk, or K. His OBP is almost always .100 above batting average. Walker doesn't walk enough as of now to be in that category.

I'm happy with who we added & not too upset with the risks we made. Taylor & Coulter are nowhere near making an MLB club. Enrique Cruz pick ups at best for a team. Really hard to hide on the 25 man. Don't think upside right now is close enough to warrant the stash.

Miguel Diaz is a guy who some team will snipe I think. Hard to see him sticking as well but upside is really high to warrant trying to stash away.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I keep Diaz over Goforth without much thought. I continue to be baffled that Goforth sticks around.

Wang is a tougher call as to who you cut. With all of the OFs they are accumulating, slightly surprised they didn't cut Nieuwenhuis. I might keep Wang over Blazek, Scahill, or Rivera as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
MLB put Walker at #28 on the Brewers top 30. I don't know where he was on Minnesota's list.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember reading an article way back in the day about Adam Walker.... Was able to find it!

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/preps/29409009.html

Aug. 03, 2008

Top high school basketball recruits often spend the summer traveling across the country from one high-profile event to another.

They have nothing on baseball player Adam Walker Jr., a senior catcher for Milwaukee Lutheran.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Walker began July playing in a prestigious tournament in Puerto Rico and ended the month at a tournament in Georgia. In addition, he was one of 34 players to try out for the Minnesota Twins at the Metrodome. He also was the only player from Wisconsin selected by the MLB Scouting Bureau to participate in its Breakthrough Series Showcase in Compton, Calif.

Oh, and he even found time to throw the football around. Walker is projected as the starting quarterback for the Milwaukee Lutheran football team.

"It's been crazy traveling all over to play baseball," said Walker, who turns 17 in October. "I'm having a lot of fun."

Walker missed the second half of his sophomore baseball season with a hip-flexor injury, so he did not burst onto the scene until this past spring. As a junior, Walker hit .569 with eight homers and 29 RBI. Coach Bob Heinkel estimated that seven of those home runs traveled in excess of 400 feet.

"He's got as much talent as anyone I've coached, and I've been here since Moses," Heinkel said.

At the showcase tournament in Puerto Rico, Walker said he was 11 for 15 at the plate. He also was challenged constantly behind the plate.

"It's a different game over there because a lot of the teams were fast and like to run," Walker said.

At the MLB Showcase, Walker went 4 for 5 against elite pitching.

"The harder it comes, the farther it goes," Walker said with a smile. "When you get a hit against a (top) pitcher, you feel good about yourself."

Added Heinkel: "The tougher the competition, the more he responds."

Walker enjoyed the guest speakers at the MLB Showcase, especially Rod Carew and Frank Thomas.

Harvey Kuenn Jr., an area scout for the Brewers, is not surprised by the way Walker is acquitting himself.

"He's a guy with strength, power and he runs fairly well," Kuenn said. "I'm sure he will be seen by clubs and a lot of colleges."

Walker's bat speed projects well to the next level.

"The harder I threw the ball to him, (from about 40 feet), the more his reflexes and natural abilities would come through," Heinkel said. "He would rip the ball past my head in the batting cage."

Next for Walker is a tryout with the Brewers. He also will play in the Milwaukee Brewers Classic All-Star Game on Aug. 14 at Miller Park.

Walker will begin making official visits to colleges in the fall. UW-Milwaukee, Indiana and Minnesota are among the schools recruiting Walker.

"I think getting (drafted) is a possibility, but we'll see what happens after next season," he said. "I plan on going to college at this point."

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I like the claim of Adam Brett Walker based on the fact that if he is able to make contact more consistently he will become a valuable asset for the organization. He has some significant upside as a future power hitter, but the strikeout numbers are trending in the wrong direction. He has some work to do heading into his age 25 season, below are his strikeout rates (K/PA) by level thus far.

Rookie - 30%

Low A - 21%

High A - 28%

AA - 35%

AAA - 38%

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have no issues with the claim, worth a shot to see if we can help him figure it out. I do have an issue with all of these OF's on the 40 man. I can't figure out why they still have Nieuwenhuis, he's not good. He's not part of the future and there are a whole bunch of guys just like him that we can add later if we want. Between him and Gorfoth, there's two spots that I'd much rather use on a younger guy than risk losing them. Losing either of those two really isn't a big deal in any way.

I keep Diaz over Goforth without much thought. I continue to be baffled that Goforth sticks around.

Wang is a tougher call as to who you cut. With all of the OFs they are accumulating, slightly surprised they didn't cut Nieuwenhuis. I might keep Wang over Blazek, Scahill, or Rivera as well.

Not keeping Wang, with what he did over the last couple of years is a real head-scratcher.

The problems with the calls to cut Nieuwenhuis or Maldonado is that it is at best a temporary spot you're creating. Right now you have 12 major league position players on the 40-man roster, maybe 13 if you plan to use Walker off the bench. They might get swapped out (Gennett for a third baseman, Maldonado for another infielder), but those spots will be used by major leaguers so if you give one to Diaz or Wang, you'd have to cut someone else later on, and if it is one of the guys they added, well a waiver claim is much less restrictive than a Rule 5 pick. You might have been able to free up a spot by declaring an odd reliever out, but for the most part the decision was probably guys ticketed for AAA such as Goforth and Reed versus Diaz and Wang (and for the record, I probably would have gone with the latter two).

I think CheeseheadinQC has a good point. I don't love Nieuwenhuis and wish he were our 5th OF at best. But for however high the ceiling is on each of our OF prospects, all those guys are unproven at the MLB level, and it's quite possible 1-2 of those young guys would then make the team and NOT be getting the quantity of ABs needed for their long-term development. For KN, however, he's at least somewhat accustomed to the part-time role, so it doesn't hurt anyone's development for him to be a bench OF.

The difference between now & last year's situation with the young-ish OFs on the roster is that Liriano, Flores, & Broxton were all lottery ticket types -- one-time high-ceiling prospects -- and if they didn't pan out, it was no great loss of prospect status or investment.

All that said, I'd love an upgrade over KN for the 4th OF role, but whomever that might be is not likely someone you'd want to invest much into, either, in terms of assets used to acquire or salary.

I have no problem with Kirk being the 4th outfielder if he's actually going to be the 4th outfielder. What I do have a problem with is him getting 400 plate appearances again and taking valuable ABs away from Broxton and Santana. I don't want to see Brinson get called up in July and play every other day.

Kirk only received a lot of PAs due to Santana's injury, Broxton flopping until final 2 months and Flores being inconsistent all year. If Santana/Broxton carry over their productivity then Kirk, or anyone else, won't be playing much in the OF. That sentiment amplifies if Puig is coming back in a Braun trade too because he's needs the PT to rebound. If that trade happens I can see Kirk removed as Reed/Perez (possibly Wren depending...) taking the backup spots.

I can't see the Brewers claiming Walker to keep him in the OF- they have to be moving him to his college position of 1b. Carter is back and traded at deadline if Walker is performing well in AAA or if Walker is on the 25 from the start he's backup 1b and power bat off bench they never had this year.

If Braun does indeed go to LA and the return is same as before then one player needs to be traded or removed to open up room for Puig/McCarthy. My gut says Scooter, Maldy, 1-2 SP traded over winter meetings with Braun also traded to LA and Stearns grabbing one Rule 5 player. And I kindly ask St Nick to remove Goforth and Kirk from the 40

Kirk only received a lot of PAs due to Santana's injury, Broxton flopping until final 2 months and Flores being inconsistent all year. If Santana/Broxton carry over their productivity then Kirk, or anyone else, won't be playing much in the OF. That sentiment amplifies if Puig is coming back in a Braun trade too because he's needs the PT to rebound. If that trade happens I can see Kirk removed as Reed/Perez (possibly Wren depending...) taking the backup spots.

I can't see the Brewers claiming Walker to keep him in the OF- they have to be moving him to his college position of 1b. Carter is back and traded at deadline if Walker is performing well in AAA or if Walker is on the 25 from the start he's backup 1b and power bat off bench they never had this year.

If Braun does indeed go to LA and the return is same as before then one player needs to be traded or removed to open up room for Puig/McCarthy. My gut says Scooter, Maldy, 1-2 SP traded over winter meetings with Braun also traded to LA and Stearns grabbing one Rule 5 player. And I kindly ask St Nick to remove Goforth and Kirk from the 40

I agree with most of this except Kirk was still receiving quite a bit of PT when Santana returned and Broxton was starting to emerge. This continued all the way until Kirk got hurt. I don't remember exactly what the split was between playing time among the 3 but it was extremely frustrating and not something I hope to see again this year.

I agree with most of this except Kirk was still receiving quite a bit of PT when Santana returned and Broxton was starting to emerge. This continued all the way until Kirk got hurt. I don't remember exactly what the split was between playing time among the 3 but it was extremely frustrating and not something I hope to see again this year.

Broxton was already established when Santana came back (Aug 19). Kirk went down Sept 16. There were 28 games in that gap and Broxton started 23. Santana and Kirk started 16. There was around a 2wk gap when Santana first came back where he was playing less than half the time but he started 11 of 15 before Kirk went down. There were times where Perez was in for Santana as well. I don't like Kirk at all. But I'm not as disappointed as others on here with the shared time because Santana missed so much time so he can be eased back (plus match ups too). People seem to think Kirk would have continued to take a lot of time from them both but he wasn't in Sept and wouldn't have moving forward. Those 11 of 15 starts for Santana before Kirk went down he hit 349, 3 doubles, 4HR.

Archived