Brewer Fanatic

Cy Young Awards to Rick Porcello and Max Scherzer

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rick Porcello and Max Scherzer take home this year's awards.

The American League voting was really close, with Verlander actually getting more 1st place votes. But two writers left Verlander off the ballot altogether - and Porcello edged him out 137 to 132.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18067034/rick-porcello-boston-red-sox-wins-american-league-cy-young-award

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-nationals/post/_/id/2047/scherzers-second-cy-young-adds-to-his-cooperstown-cred

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I really don't care that much about awards, but it's kind of sad that two writers - both from Tampa - left Verlander completely off their ballot.

I mean, who picks JA Happ over Verlander? Happ had a nice year, but Verlander threw 30+ more innings (while leading the league), gave up fewer walks, had 90 more strikeouts (while leading the league), and having a better ERA, WHIP, FIP, and WAR (while leading the league).

What did Happ have more of? Wins.

In the end, Porcello had a fine year, so that he won isn't a big deal. I just wonder about some of the people that vote.

From the linked article. Chastain was the MLB writer who left Verlander off.

Members of the BBWAA have until the end of the regular season to submit their ballots.

Chastain said he sent in his ballot a week early, thinking nothing in the final days of the regular season would change his mind. Verlander, though, allowed just one run over his final two starts (14 2/3 innings), going 1-1 and watching his ERA drop from 3.21 to 3.04.

It makes a lot more sense that he could be left off with his numbers before those two games, but it seems hard to justify voting with two starts still to go.

Hard to justify him not being on a ballot, but those two would have both had to have him 3rd or better for him to win. A case can certainly be made for there being three pitchers better than him. There was no clear cut winner in the AL, and the voting reflects that. He has $28m/year plus Kate Upton, so I'm not shedding any tears for Verlander.

I don't really care who wins these things but there should be a system in place to remove idiots like this who left Verlander off the ballot. Same as anyone who didn't vote for Maddux for HOF should just lose their vote because they are worthless at voting.

Archived