Brewer Fanatic

New Uniforms

MVP2110

By three do you really mean five? White with Brewers. Blue with Brewers. Blue with Milwaukee. Grey with Milwaukee. And Pinstripe. Plus what is their actual logo? Is the the M or is it the updated ball and glove? They've gone a little crazy with uniforms, probably in attempt to sell more mechanize. They need to chill out for awhile. We really don't need so many different jerseys. I have a jersey at home and I don't even know if it's outdated or not.

well i think those rumors were specific to this board, with the theory that the brewers introduced the new alternative jerseys as a trial balloon to see how sales go, to see if they should go back to an updated ball and glove full time.

i honestly don't see the motivation by the brewers, by having 5 different sets of regular uniforms, it can only help boost sales.

Don't forget about the Batting practice unis they'd wear from time to time

Oooh, you had to bring those up. Yuck.

I absolutely cannot stand the current BP jersey/cap thing, especially the '80s colors one with the football-style letters & numbers. Those rank right up there on my list of awful uniform/logo/merchandising ideas with the "special" All-Star game caps for every team.

Ah...my favorite topic.

Please just make the switch to the Ball and Glove full time. Continuing to market two logos that are not complimentary of each other (ball and glove & barley) absolutely makes no sense from a branding standpoint.

This type of tweet pretty much sums it up:

Brewers with current script for the main photo for the account but using the ball and glove as the spring training schedule logo.

Pick a brand identity and stick with it please.

We all assume having multiple unis generates more revenue, and I'm sure it does. But there's a downside too. With Christmas coming up, looking for unis, sherseys, hats for a few family members. It's tough, because I don't want to get something that will be outdated in a year. (Or even before next season.)

It's a big reason why I haven't bought a jersey for myself in a couple years. I mean, it's hard enough to pick a player these days. Then add all the confusion with the various logos, unis, etc.

It's weird, because the fans have spoken. I think overwhelmingly people want the ball and glove. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the 80s, just come up with a clean logo and design and stick with it for more than a year.

We all assume having multiple unis generates more revenue, and I'm sure it does. But there's a downside too.

I think overwhelmingly people want the ball and glove. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as the 80s, just come up with a clean logo and design and stick with it for more than a year.

No such downside to creating more revenue. Regarding outdating stuff...that is all apart of the money game too. Sure some people opt not to get things because they won't be "in", but so many will keep buying what is new they don't care about a few who don't end up buying.

I'm pretty sure the only people who have a problem with the whole having multiple logos/jerseys thing are posters here. There are very few teams in all of pro sports that strictly adhere to one jersey/logo and those are generally franchises with long history's like the Cubs, Yankees, Packers, and Lakers. If I'm going to watch the Brewers 150+ times a summer I'd like a little visual variety. I think the Brewers script and jersey variations with it are stale and only remind me of the 2000's teams that were some of the worst ever constructed. All of the branding since the switch to the current uniforms is just so blah and boring but I suppose that's also a reflection of the team's play in those jerseys.

If I'm going to watch the Brewers 150+ times a summer I'd like a little visual variety

A little variety is fine. But the key word is a little. We don't need 5 different jerseys that could be described as "regular" in addition to three or four other ones they only wear a few times. And some of them are so similar that it's pointless having separate ones. Do we really need a blue that says "Milwaukee" and a blue that says "Brewers"? This isn't college football where you have to change uniforms ever quarter to keep recruits interested in your school. Having so many different uniforms to, let's face it, make money seems so minor league-ish to me. It's like something the Admirals would do.

How would you be able to tell if they did have a new one? They never wear the same uniform from one game to the next.

I guess we now know you didn't watch many games last year. They pretty much wore three uniforms last year for a huge chunk of the season:

https://uniformlineup.com/milwaukee/mil-daily-uni-lineups/

And the year before how many "uniforms" did they wear? The point still stands. I doubt casual brewer fans could describe the team's "main" home or road uniform.

Changing uniforms used to be something to look forward to, exciting even, but the way pro sports teams change their unis every other week these days, it doesn't even register on the "cool" chart.

Marketing has trumped everything when it comes to uniforms.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Changing uniforms used to be something to look forward to, exciting even, but the way pro sports teams change their unis every other week these days, it doesn't even register on the "cool" chart.

And it's not like MLB is alone in that. Look at all the hoopla over the NFL "color rush" jerseys this year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

And it's not like MLB is alone in that. Look at all the hoopla over the NFL "color rush" jerseys this year.

Exactly, the NFL is just as bad... I can't comment on the NBA because I stopped following anything NBA related back in the 80's...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just saw a tweet mentioning that the new Kids Club Packs for 2017 seem to feature the redone ball & glove logo exclusively. Makes me wonder if the Brewers are indeed testing the waters on fully going to that look.

i also did notice that Counsell was at a toy drive in his retro uniform, which seemed odd to me:

15304105_10154161589250003_1289210294104479627_o.jpg

^^^I dunno, seems that I've seen the Brewers in retros at the On Deck events. If they go back to the Ball and Glove, I'm fine with that I guess. I do like the barley logo a lot. I'm mostly only sick of the ball and glove logo cuz they tie it so much with the 82 World Series. The most celebrated team to ever lose in a championship. The way they marketed it for so long (though they've cut back) you'd think the 82 Brewers were the 27 Yankees.

^^^I dunno, seems that I've seen the Brewers in retros at the On Deck events. If they go back to the Ball and Glove, I'm fine with that I guess. I do like the barley logo a lot. I'm mostly only sick of the ball and glove logo cuz they tie it so much with the 82 World Series. The most celebrated team to ever lose in a championship. The way they marketed it for so long (though they've cut back) you'd think the 82 Brewers were the 27 Yankees.

I think a lot of that stems from the fact that those of us that were alive (and cognizant of the moment) it was a big deal. Milwaukee hadn't had a pennant winner in 25 years and the Packers were pretty much a nothing team at that time so everyone was so desperate for a winner. And, on paper, they were the clear favorite to win it all. We treated those players like gods, even in defeat, because they gave us so many memories.

Yes, I agree, they were not the greatest team in baseball history. But if you speak to just about any player from that team, they will say it was clearly the best experience they've ever had in their careers. I mean, how many teams lose a championship and still get 500,000 people to show up for a parade afterwards. Heck, how many even get the parade?

We genuinely LOVED that team.

On topic, I don't see the problem with the new logo but I also don't see the problem with a decision to focus the team's look on the old ball-and-glove logo. When they ditched it back in '93 or so, it was probably one of the worst decisions made by the front office in team history. It was Jeffrey Hammonds-bad. It was Sal Bando GM-bad. It was Mark Kotsay in CF in the NLCS-bad.

I like the new logo and I like the old ball-and-glove. I found it very telling last season when the starting pitchers were selecting ball-and-glove themed jerseys a heck of a lot more than the barley and gold logo. About the only one to regularly chose that one was Chase Anderson.

I'd be happy to see them continue flip-flopping, since it's more merchandising revenue for the club.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The straight on picture of the empty dais is what irritates me most about the Brewers not choosing between the ball and glove and the m with barley. The wall backdrop has M with barley while the nameplates have the ball and glove. If the two logos were complimentary of one another then I would probably understand it a little better. But given they represent two totally separate uniform sets, it makes me think of the Brewers as not having a brand identity.

Archived