Brewer Fanatic

Should we move Wily Peralta to Bullpen

reillymcshane
No one in the opening day rotation should feel overconfident about his long-term role as a Major League starter.

This is a key point. I don't know that Peralta needs to be singled out as the guy who has a month to prove himself. Davies is about the only guy who is relatively "safe." Not to mention, we don't know if Lopez or Hader will be ready by then.

I'm open to Peralta being moved to the BP, I would play this out for a while with no pre-conceived notions.

Of course you don't tell Wily about the effects in Player and team control on guys like Hader and Lopez.

You're telling him he's got 5starts at time to pitch preferably below 4ERA. But at 4.5ERA+ in a 5start stint is where he's at, we're moving you to the bullpen.

He's at over 100 Starts in his career. We are no longer at a, see if you turn it around. You either perform or you get demoted to help the team. So pitch like this is a contract year, because it honestly is.

You tell him something like that. Hey this is your future with us in a nutshell. We aren't going to deal with 4.5+ERAs and non quality starts from you for 25-32starts this season. You've got 5. To get another 5. To get another 5.

You've got 5. To get another 5. To get another 5.

Nah, it doesn't need to be that precise. I don't like these absolutes and ultimatums. This will shake itself out in it's own time, no reason to assign these types of rules to it. Anything being said here about Peralta can be said of Nelson and Anderson too. Garza and Guerra don't fit into the future plans, so they don't belong in some sort of protected class either.

Peralta knows he needs to perform. Either he does or he doesn't, but there's nothing magical about 5 starts. Plus, what if two other guys are just as bad or worse? Which is entirely possible. Then there's injuries. And, we don't know if/when Hader or Lopez will be ready. All reasons why a decision like this does not exist in a vacuum.

Archived