Brewer Fanatic

BPro Brewers target: Rajai Davis?

And That

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=30697

Rajai Davis is the only top 50 free agent (by the BPro rankings) that they have the Brewers signing. I don't exactly see the fit, but he steals bases when he manages to get on base. If he has a BABIP spike, could be a flip candidate at the deadline I guess.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me Davis is the kind of guy you get in 2018 or 19 - when team thinks it can compete. 2017 should still be an evaluation process of players. Broxton and Santana most importantly, but there's also Wren and Reed we might want to look at. And ultimately, there's Brinson.

Of course, if Braun is dealt, or someone moved to 1B (Santana or Braun would be the logical candidates), then perhaps you might want the guy. But for me, Davis is a good player that best benefits a contending team as a semi-regular player - just like last year with Cleveland. Right now, I want the young guys to get at bats.

Davis is still probably a starter (I've heard people speculate Jon Jay is going to get a shot to start, and Davis was better last year). The amount of money to convince him to go from being a regular on a regular on a World Series team to being a fourth outfielder on a squad in the middle of a rebuilding project would be more than the Brewers would be looking to spend for a fourth outfielder. I'm not sure what the writer was thinking with this one.

Brewers could certainly use an upgrade over Kirk Nieuwenhuis as an extra OF that's useful against RHP. But you don't replace him with a RH hitting OF. I would expect them to kick the tires on some of the veteran lefty hitting guys out there, but not necessarily one that plays CF as Perez can fill in there, and if Broxton is out injured or stumbles, Brinson is the obvious long term guy.

Only way Davis makes any sense would be if Braun were traded and they didn't get back a Puig or some other youngish major league OF in the deal. But even in that instance, I wouldn't put him high on my list.

Only way Davis makes any sense would be if Braun were traded and they didn't get back a Puig or some other youngish major league OF in the deal. But even in that instance, I wouldn't put him high on my list.

well in this case and assuming its a reasonable 1 year deal, fine. could be a trade deadline candidate then if he has a good 1st half, maybe fetching a young player. nobody thought the brewers could get anything of value for Aaron Hill so anything is possible.

Seems like people think a Rajai signing would mean he'd take ABs from Broxton/Santana. There's no way the Brewers are doing that. If he signs, which he won't, it'll be as a 4th OF/pinch hitter/runner filling in on off days or if there's an injury or trade

Seems like people think a Rajai signing would mean he'd take ABs from Broxton/Santana. There's no way the Brewers are doing that. If he signs, which he won't, it'll be as a 4th OF/pinch hitter/runner filling in on off days or if there's an injury or trade

If Nieuwenhuis took AB's from Santana, why wouldn't Davis?

Pass. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for the Brewers right now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers could certainly use an upgrade over Kirk Nieuwenhuis as an extra OF that's useful against RHP. But you don't replace him with a RH hitting OF.

Unless that RH hitting OF hits better than 236/321/414/735 against RHP. That isn't impossible.

If Nieuwenhuis took AB's from Santana, why wouldn't Davis?

Because of context. Santana was the every day RF until his injury, which sidelined him a long time. He came back once then went right back out again shortly thereafter. People speculate as to why Kirk still played when Santana was back in mid-late Aug but it could have easily been to ease him back the first couple weeks or so. 2016 was a lost season from the start so why risk additional injury, in meaningless Sept games, to a young player you have high hopes for.

Kirk, Broxton, Flores were competing in CF. This year Broxton is the starter going in so all 3 OF spots are penciled in barring injury. Rajai is 36 and doesn't come close to any of them on the offensive side other than stealing more bases than our corner spots. In less than 2yrs Santana/Broxton can bring back value. Rajai won't

Archived