Brewer Fanatic

Counsell signs a 3-year contract extension through 2020

patrickgpe
Maybe I'm wrong but since Counsell came from the front office, I always assumed that the manager gig was "temporary" and when he's "done", he'll move back to the front office. I thought he had aspirations of being an executive rather than a manager but I don't have any proof and I can't remember if I read it or if I just had that feeling.

I like giving Counsell the feel good security of the contract. If things go sour, hopefully they can work through that to keep him around the Brewers front office. Not my money to toss around so good for him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe I'm wrong but since Counsell came from the front office, I always assumed that the manager gig was "temporary" and when he's "done", he'll move back to the front office. I thought he had aspirations of being an executive rather than a manager but I don't have any proof and I can't remember if I read it or if I just had that feeling.

I do remember talk when Counsell was first signed to his front office job that he was being groomed for an exec gig. Then when he was hired to manage it was on a 3 year deal which tells me there weren't any temporary thoughts at the time. That was a different regime though and I feel Stearns will hire his own guy when this team is ready to be an actual contender.

With that said, in general, I really see no point in extending a Manager early. But if that's what they decided, fine, I'm not upset by it either. A case could be made that CC needs to perform to get a new contract, and that's actually a good example to show the young players.

This extension means so little it doesn't even need a story. This is how it has always been. Managers very seldomly go into the season on the last year of a deal. I'm not sure if there is a super valid reason for it other than to minimize any type of talk about the future of the manager. Heck it may just be a courtesy thing.

The Brewers are sold on Craig Counsell managing this entire rebuild process. Give him a 3-year deal and if they come out looking like they are on the brink of contention in the next two years they will just kindly move him back to the front office for someone else.

• 1 month later...
“Stearns pushes back against the idea that he was mandated to keep Craig Counsell when he was initially hired on as GM, and now that he’s gotten to know and be comfortable with Counsell he praised his field manager as “the person who could lead our organization back to the playoffs and ultimately to the World Series...I have complete confidence in him going forward.””
brewcrewball.com
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived