Brewer Fanatic

RHP's Barrios & Rowen; C/1B Pinto all outrighted off 40-man roster

Mass Haas

40-man now at 34, although the removals of Capuano & Boyer apparently are still a day away from being official (so technically 36, but for all effects and purposes, 34).

Link to Brewers site

Each has enough service time that they'll be minor league free agents this week, barring a re-sign by the Brewers.

I dont think were done making 40 man moves before the winter meetings. Theres still work to be done if they want to be draft eligible and protect guys. I think they have to protect Coulter as well as Williams. Wang has an argument to be made for as well/

Yes, and the fact that we still have Nieuwenhuis, together makes it all the more disappointing to me that we risked losing Liriano prematurely.

I know I've made a larger than usual number of posts defending someone I don't consider to be an everyday player, but I can't understand the haste with which some want to get rid of Nieuwenhuis. Jon Jay was only marginally better than him last year and mlbtraderumors has him in line for a 2/$12 million deal. I know Jay has a longer track record, but that also speaks to the lack of quality center fielders at the big league level given that ideally you'd want two on your roster. I could see him being involved in a low-level trade given that he admittedly might not be the best complement to Brewers' lineup, but I think there is enough there where just non-tendering him would be a waste. Also, it wouldn't give you a spot for Williams or Diaz, at least not long term, because the Brewers would have to fill that spot on the big league roster. Given Reed's struggles last year, that player is probably not on the Brewers' 40-man, be it Wren or someone from outside of the organization. And most of the free agents center fielders available at backup prices were worse last year than Nieuwenhuis.

Back on topic, it is too bad Barrios' injury led to this. I had been looking forward last year to seeing if he could challenge for a roster spot at some point during the season.

it's not that he's not a valuable 4/5th OF, it's that we know he's a valuable 4/5th OF. He's a known quantity. what frustrates/puzzles me is the letting go of guys with greater upside, physical toolsets, and strong minor league records of success who are still young and projectable in favor of a guy like Kirk, who at 29 has a far less likelihood of being anything but a 4-5th OF. Whereas young guys like Rymer Liriano and Ramon Flores still have a shot at reaching a much higher ceiling. Especially Liriano, who (mental recovery from being hit in the face notwithstanding) has a ceiling on par or even higher than Broxton, but who's only major league action was a limited opportunity as a 23 year old rookie.

Losing Liriano seems in stark contrast to what Stearns has been all about so far too. If we were contending this year it might be different, but if we are sticking to Stearns' developmental plan its that this year, as was the case last year, we have the luxury to give higher ceilinged guys extended opportunities to succeed. Any floor expectation for Liriano or Flores for this upcoming year is not that far off from what Nieuwenhuis would predictably provide. But, if given the chance, could show enough promise to be special players. and if they don't live into that potential after another season, nothing was really lost- Brinson and others will be up anyway. but, we potentially could have just created another attractive trade piece.

For that matter, if Nieuwy does in fact have trade value- then why hasn't he been traded already- there have been lots of opportunities. whatever we conceivably could get for him, I doubt will return anyone with the amount of upside that Liriano, or for that matter, Flores has.

Kirk is above replacement level in OF so not really sure why we would be in a hurry to dump him. There are a lot worse options for a 5th OF out there.

I've long believed that your 4th OF should be a guy you're comfortable with starting for 100 games. My concern is more that KN is viewed as a 4th OF, not a 5th OF. I have no problem with retaining him if he's the 5th OF. KN offers little dependability except on defense, and I want more than that from a 4th OF.

it's not that he's not a valuable 4/5th OF, it's that we know he's a valuable 4/5th OF. He's a known quantity. what frustrates/puzzles me is the letting go of guys with greater upside, physical toolsets, and strong minor league records of success who are still young and projectable in favor of a guy like Kirk, who at 29 has a far less likelihood of being anything but a 4-5th OF. Whereas young guys like Rymer Liriano and Ramon Flores still have a shot at reaching a much higher ceiling. Especially Liriano, who (mental recovery from being hit in the face notwithstanding) has a ceiling on par or even higher than Broxton, but who's only major league action was a limited opportunity as a 23 year old rookie.

I'm not sure that I see Liriano and Nieuwenhuis being linked. Based on how he's been building the minors and him nixing Santana in center, I've got a feeling that Stearns would have kept two center fielders no matter what, and I know Liriano has played some center, but isn't he basically a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency center fielder? Liriano's waiving to me is more of a sign that 1) one of the bench spots is going to be filled by someone not the roster right now and 2) Hernan Perez is going to see a fair amount of playing time in the outfield.

As far as trades, I'm not saying it is going to be a major deal, but if a team needs a backup outfielder and has a blocked infielder (non-top prospect), I could see him being dealt. I mean, the guys dealt in the Broxton, Flores and Villar deals weren't exactly brimming with perceived value (especially once you subtract Supak's value from Rogers').

Kirk is above replacement level in OF so not really sure why we would be in a hurry to dump him. There are a lot worse options for a 5th OF out there.

Yeah, but how many teams play 81 games in Miller Park? :laughing

His .460 OPS outside of Miller Park, may not have as many teams knocking down his door to sign him as you may think. I guess conversely, he didn't get the benefit of hitting Brewers pitching either.

That aside, I think the Brewers are at that time in the rebuild that we should still be saving 40 man spots for the guy with the higher upside in the minors versus the 29 year old decent 4th OF. Percentages are the minor leaguer is never as good as KN, but you want to shoot for that upside - because if you protect/find the guy that ends up being a major league average player for years that just has so much more value.

I tend to agree with that. I understand why they would remove Liriano since he has no more options but it wouldn't have been that bad to have him as a 5th outfielder next year, certainly couldn't have done worse than Flores. Along those same lines I don't think Tyron Taylor will ever be anything special but he probably has a better chance than Kirk N since age is on his side.

Barrios will also be eligible for the Rule 5 draft, assuming the Brewers don't put him back on the 40-man roster in the next month.

the deadline is sooner than that . . . any rule 5 draft-eligible player that a club wishes to protect must be on the 40-man by 18 november.

Barrios will also be eligible for the Rule 5 draft, assuming the Brewers don't put him back on the 40-man roster in the next month.

the deadline is sooner than that . . . any rule 5 draft-eligible player that a club wishes to protect must be on the 40-man by 18 november.

Considering any team could have signed him to a minor league deal the last few days would any team actually draft him?

The Brewers may have had a pre-arranged deal with him. Or other teams may have not had a chance to do due diligence on him before he signed.

It's not likely by any stretch, but I do believe there have been instances of minor league free agents becoming Rule 5 picks a few weeks after signing.

It's not likely by any stretch, but I do believe there have been instances of minor league free agents becoming Rule 5 picks a few weeks after signing.

on 7 october 2005, the brewers outrighted a player to the minors. on 13 october, he declared free agency. on 18 november, he was signed to a minor league deal by the royals. on 8 december, the pirates took him in the rule 5 draft.

can you name this player?

on 7 october 2005, the brewers outrighted a player to the minors. on 13 october, he declared free agency. on 18 november, he was signed to a minor league deal by the royals. on 8 december, the pirates took him in the rule 5 draft.

can you name this player?

Victor Santos?

Archived