Brewer Fanatic

Keon Broxton Arrested; Latest: Probation, legally binding not guilty

crossface21

Here's how it went down. Keon was drowning his sorrows from the cubs winning the series, like the rest of us. Then some cub fan (they're crawling out of the woodwork, they're everywhere, even out here on Nunivak Island. google it.) spilled some of his Bartles & James on Keon's new clothes. Keon's shoes are full of Miller and Jack while Mr. Cub's got a pomegranate daquiri in his belly and a nose full of toot. Broxton told him what was up but with the sedate advantage, sucker punching a sot is like taking candy from a baby. On a different day it would have been a bloodbath.

In all seriousness, I hope this is the last time I hear of an incident with Broxton. Looking for a nice 2017 from him.

Broxton's statement per JSOnline:

“I sincerely apologize to my family, the Brewers organization, Milwaukee Brewers fans, and also to law enforcement officials for my lack of proper judgment last night. I will learn from this incident and I will certainly make better decisions moving forward. I owe that to myself and all who have put their trust and faith in me as a person. Thank you for your support and understanding.”

I don't know how one would make an apology any better. In a sense, they're all "generic." From what I've seen at a distance, this incident seems pretty out of character for Keon. I don't see any reason not to accept it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That's a fine apology and I trust there won't be another incident.

[sarcasm]Blue text?[/sarcasm]

This is no different than any generic apology. Actually he might have gotten this straight off the Internet.

What else did you want him to say?

Why? Violence is violence.

I'm just going to end it here because we're going toward forum prohibited area but I hate the whole "He hit a woman!? OMG! He is a despicable human being who should be shamed and never see the light of day. Oh, he hit another man. Meh." attitude.

Because a grown man has a much better chance of defending himself against another grown man than a woman does? Why does this need to be explained to you?

Like, literally the first thing my dad told me when I was a kid is you never hit a woman. Whether it's a relative, spouse, girlfriend or just some random woman you met for the first time and that if he ever found out that I did he would beat the crap out of me.

I understand the physical differences that may exist between males and females I just don't get more worked up over the assault of one gender over the other. Just don't hit anyone regardless of age, gender, whatever. The fact that many seem to be giving him a pass because he was drunk is disturbing as well.

I don't really get what more the guy can do. Yes, it was a standard apology. How can one make their apology more sincere? He took ownership of what he did, promised to make better decisions, and even apologized to the law enforcement officials, which is a touchy subject for some these days.

He did a stupid thing, which many 20 somethings do. He will probably pay a simple fine and in the eyes of the law that will satisfy the situation. As long as this is the end of it and similar alcohol related incidents don't occur in the future, there's no reason to be concerned with Keon. There's nothing in his past to indicate that this will become a continuing problem, so I will certainly give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives reason not to do so.

I understand the physical differences that may exist between males and females I just don't get more worked up over the assault of one gender over the other. Just don't hit anyone regardless of age, gender, whatever. The fact that many seem to be giving him a pass because he was drunk is disturbing as well.

Do we know if he was hit/attacked first?

I never went around picking fights in my younger more wild days, but i did spend a good amount of time in bars and was involved in a few fights where i or a friend was swung at first. Once that happened, i wasn't going to just stand there and let another guy beat on me without retaliation.

Now maybe Broxton started this fight or another guy did. If it was the other person starting it and was throwing punches, he has every right to defend himself, regardless that he was drunk. What happened between him and the cops is a different story and he's probably lucky that he didn't end up getting blasted with a taser or some pepper spray.

further cementing his role as Mr Brinson's backup

There is still plenty of room on this roster for a guy like Broxton in the starting OF if he can prove that the 2nd half of 2016 wasn't an aberration. Especially if Braun is traded. A 2018 outfield of Brinson/Phillips/Broxton would be a pretty outstanding defensive outfield.

further cementing his role as Mr Brinson's backup

There is still plenty of room on this roster for a guy like Broxton in the starting OF if he can prove that the 2nd half of 2016 wasn't an aberration. Especially if Braun is traded. A 2018 outfield of Brinson/Phillips/Broxton would be a pretty outstanding defensive outfield.

Very true, good point.

With the Brewers loaded up on OF prospects it will definitely be a battle for playing time. Competition is a good thing. Let's see who outworks and outproduces who. My thought is, though, while Keon was getting wasted and causing a scene, Lewis and/or Brett and/or Domingo and/or Corey etc (or all of them) were going to bed early and got up and worked out for 4-5 hours the next day.

Obviously this one incident won't kill Keon's career, however it does give one pause..... of course Ty Cobb & Babe Ruth did far worse and seemed capable of excellence.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• 1 month later...

As per this tweet via Tampa Bay Times writer Greg Auman:

Brewers OF Keon Broxton, arrested in Tampa on trespass charge last month, pleaded no contest Monday. Adjudication withheld, pre-trial deal.

Definition of adjudication withheld, via administrative.laws.com

"Adjudication withheld typically refers to a decision by a judge to put an individual on probation, as opposed to incarceration or other forms of criminal punishment. As a result, adjudication withheld generates a legally binding ruling of not guilty by the court system.

If the person receiving the adjudication withheld ruling adheres to the stipulations of their probation and has no subsequent offenses, no further action will be taken on the case. In essence, the adjudication withheld ruling is offered to those individuals as a plea bargain; typically a withheld adjudication is granted to individuals who are first–time offenders."

As a criminal lawyer in Wisconsin, a withheld adjudication would lead to a form of self-monitored probation. Also called a Deferred Adjudication Agreement, sometimes called a Post Plea Diversion Agreement. You essentially need to stay out of trouble, and depending on the "crime" do some community service (likely in this scenario), get into some counseling (Domestic cases), or get treatment (drug cases) then after a specified time (usually 12 months for a misdemeanor) the DA dismisses the case without the judge ever adjudicating a person guilty. In then goes down as a dismissal.

Archived