Brewer Fanatic

Cubs FA: Wood and Cahill

The Cubs have 2 FA to be (a third if they decide not to pick up Jason Hammel's $10 million option) in Travis Wood and Trevor Cahill. Neither were big parts of the Cub steamroller, but they both certainly contributed. Both could have value as starters or relievers and I don't believe they'll command quite the kind of money the Brewers paid for Lohse, Wolf and Suppan though I could be wrong. But if that's the case I'd stay away even though they are younger. But for a reasonable deal, it might be worth considering especially Wood since the Brewers are so lacking in LH pitching either starting or relieving. Maybe he'd be interested in a shorter term deal with the opportunity to start and build more value. He'd also be valuable for his bat off the bench.

Pass on Cahill. The Brewers don't need to start allocating money to players on the DL already.

Wood would be an interesting guy to take a chance on as a starter, though in the past he's had trouble getting to 90 MPH with his fastball when he's not coming out of the bullpen. Downside is he earned $6 million + this year, so if we're using that as a baseline for his next contract, there may not be a whole lot of extra value being generated, even as a starter.

Pass on Cahill. The Brewers don't need to start allocating money to players on the DL already.

Wood would be an interesting guy to take a chance on as a starter, though in the past he's had trouble getting to 90 MPH with his fastball when he's not coming out of the bullpen. Downside is he earned $6 million + this year, so if we're using that as a baseline for his next contract, there may not be a whole lot of extra value being generated, even as a starter.

Cahill was healthy most of 2016, and under the radar was quite effective for the Cubs since they acquired him. I wouldn't rule him out entirely if the price was right. If Wood put together a solid year or two starting, for say $12-14 million over 2 years, he could be moved at the 2018 deadline. At worst, he'd be a late inning lefty option.

Chapman of course is a FA too, but not worth discussing so I left him out.

Dexter Fowler is also a FA, but we probably have enough outfielders.

As to adding middling starting pitching, we already have six guys, and some on here are stating that we "need" to trade someone due to the "logjam." I don't think we need to trade anyone, but I also don't think we should be looking for veteran mid-to-back-of-the-rotation guys in free agency.

I'd say start the season with what we have and add in some of our prospects when they're ready. Look to add a better FA starter (a guy who could be at the top of the rotation) after we see how 2017 goes. If we tie up money now on lesser guys, we'll have a hard time getting better guys when we're ready to add them.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

When I saw the title of this thread, the two things that popped into my mind were:

1. There's a good chance Candelaria gets moved for a reliever.

2. If Stearns likes him, would the Cubs be interested in Torres?

As for signing the Cubs relievers, if the price is right, fine, especially if Torres gets dealt, but I'm not sure Wood as a starter is the answer. His K rate dropped significantly even out of the pen this season, and he struggled with right-handed hitters. Maybe some of that is usage based, but I'm not sure he's really an upgrade over the starters the Brewers already have.

Chapman of course is a FA too, but not worth discussing so I left him out.

Dexter Fowler is also a FA, but we probably have enough outfielders.

Cubs & Fowler have an option on the contract for 2017. Think Dexter will opt out? I'm not convinced, but after his year he had he'd be looking at a huge payday

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Both are relievers and not of the quality of reliever that is worth spending any money on in our current situation.

Agree. Plus our pen is pretty solid as is.

No pen with only one LH pitcher (and he with just 20 or so major league innings) can be considered "solid". Brewers were mentioned as a possible landing spot for Wood on MLBTR run down of top 50 FA, with an estimated price of $21 million over 3 years. Wood is not only a quality reliever but he'd be a strong candidate to start. That's not a bad price for veteran with his track record, age and versatility. Brewers were also listed as having possible interest in Boone Logan, and he'd make sense as well.

Both are relievers and not of the quality of reliever that is worth spending any money on in our current situation.

Agree. Plus our pen is pretty solid as is.

No pen with only one LH pitcher (and he with just 20 or so major league innings) can be considered "solid". Brewers were mentioned as a possible landing spot for Wood on MLBTR run down of top 50 FA, with an estimated price of $21 million over 3 years. Wood is not only a quality reliever but he'd be a strong candidate to start. That's not a bad price for veteran with his track record, age and versatility. Brewers were also listed as having possible interest in Boone Logan, and he'd make sense as well.

$7M a year for a reliever would be stupid for the Brewers to do right now. And I see little upside to trying him as a starter over our other current options.

Archived