Brewer Fanatic

Pace of Play Remains a Problem

Bombers

Going back to 1988 (as far back as B-R goes), OBP was .322 that year, MLB averaged 3.58 P/PA and 4.14 runs/game (6,052 PA per team that season -- 37.3 per game) for ~133 pitches per game per team.

In 2016 that number went up to 3.87 P/PA and 6166 PA per team -- 38.1 per game. For ~147 pitches per game.

Just some numbers.

OBP may be lower, but guys are seeing way more pitches per PA.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
Going back to 1988 (as far back as B-R goes), OBP was .322 that year, MLB averaged 3.58 P/PA and 4.14 runs/game (6,052 PA per team that season -- 37.3 per game) for ~133 pitches per game per team.

In 2016 that number went up to 3.87 P/PA and 6166 PA per team -- 38.1 per game. For ~147 pitches per game.

Just some numbers.

OBP may be lower, but guys are seeing way more pitches per PA.

Thanks for that info. I stand corrected. That's a 10% increase in pitches, enough to add 20 minutes to a 3-hr game.

I still fall on the side of preferring to speed the game up, since the pace is ultimately what bothers me. Good ABs (that last 8-10+ pitchers) are entertaining. The crowd usually responds well to them.

If you widen the strike zone, they'll just use longer bats. Then we should really consider holding onto Braun. He already uses a longer bat. He would be use to it already.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anyone else notice last night that TMobile sponsored the middle/bottom of the 9th, and they didn't go to commercial break? I actually loved it because it kept the broadcast around while Fox ran a little blurb about both teams' histories and let Smoltz have a bit more time to break down some of the previous at bats that got the game to that point tied at 6. It also felt faster than a standard commercial break - I think MLB needs to look into doing this on a regular basis, and include the 7th and 8th innings as "commercial free". They can still have sponsors but will keep the broadcast going - heck, they can even throw it to the studio for some of the other talking heads to weigh in on how the game is going or breaking down a key play/situation.

The main reason baseball games take longer is that there is greater focus on OBP, so hitters are taking a lot more pitches, getting on base more, and forcing opposing teams to the pen earlier. If you want to shorten games, penalize hitters for taking pitches. This would be best done by making the strike zone bigger. Pitchers will be much more dominant, but time of game will go down as hitters are forced to swing at more pitches and get more outs.

I'd personally rather just watch an extra ten or fifteen minutes of baseball, but that would solve the perceived problem of the thread.

I've felt that making the strike zone wider would be great for baseball.

You know what is worse than long games? Low scoring games. Casual fans want to see runs being scored and a bigger strike zone will do the exact opposite. I also think it would be pretty hard to widen it. The edge of the plate makes a very distinct line between ball/strike. If it is wider than that you are going by an invisible line. Probably wouldn't be consistently called(less than currently).

I pointed out that very problem and the solution would be to make the plate physically wider. I think if you make it 18 inches instead of 17 (adding .5 inch to either side of the strike zone) it wouldn't have a dramatic effect on offense. More strikes, more swinging the bat, more balls in play, more action leads to a quicker game in terms of both actual time and perceived time.

DVR might be a workaround for some people, but only because the games are too slow. I'm fine with important post-season games going on and on, but the regular season games are individually unimportant and need to move along faster.

Baseball in the 70s and 80s had fewer strikeouts, so more action was happening on the field. There were more stolen base attempts and fewer walks. As a live spectator or tv spectator, it was so much better. Games cruised along with more onfield action in less time. Now a guy is lauded for working out a walk, but how entertaining is it?

To be honest I don't know anyone that watches shows live with commercials anymore. If I want to watch a show at 7 PM regardless of what it is, I DVR it and start watching at 7:20 to skip the commercials as does everyone else I know.

Cut out at least 16 games and more likely 20-30 games. 2 strikes for strike out, 3 balls for walk. RP has to face at minimum 2 batters. Pace of play largely falls in line and all older baseball fans freak out.

I don't watch like South Park or anything like that live because I can just record it and fast forward through the commercials but sporting events? Has to be live for me or I'll just end up fast forwarding through pretty much the whole thing and only look at scoring plays. Have no patience to sit and watch a whole game knowing I can just fast forward to scoring plays.

I don't watch like South Park or anything like that live because I can just record it and fast forward through the commercials but sporting events? Has to be live for me or I'll just end up fast forwarding through pretty much the whole thing and only look at scoring plays. Have no patience to sit and watch a whole game knowing I can just fast forward to scoring plays.

And that's true for most people. Yea, I never watch TV shows live. But I need to watch sporting events live. My point has been whatever percentage of people DO DVR games are already doing so. It's not like DVR is a new technology just invented last year.

I think pace of play is a bigger issue in the NFL actually and a big part of the reason their ratings have dropped big time. I usually fall asleep during NFL games to the point that I don't even watch anymore, other than GB. Every change of possession is 5 minutes. A score is a 5 min commercial, touchback, 5 minute commercial. Brutal. Then throw in the tons of injury stops and penalties. College at least only does one commercial on scores and often times doesn't even go to commercial on non-score change of possession.

That's why if say a Packers game starts at 3PM, i'll start watching around 45 minutes to an hour later.

It allows me to fast forward through most commercials, but not the whole game. I'll usually catch up with the live feed around the 4th quarter.

To each their own i guess. I'm so used to using the DVR for most anything, i can't deal with the endless commercials anymore during a football game for injuries, reviews, after each kickoff, etc. In baseball late in games when there is one pitching change after another, it's so nice to fast forward right through all of it. I have no problem with avoiding what you said of fast forwarding right to scoring plays, unless it's a game i'm not really invested in or i'm in a hurry. I watch sports specially for the drama. No reason to watch if i only skip to scoring plays.

Plus, it's also nice being able to pause a game for whatever reason pops up or rewind to watch a play over if the network doesn't show a replay.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That's why if say a Packers game starts at 3PM, i'll start watching around 45 minutes to an hour later.

It allows me to fast forward through most commercials, but not the whole game. I'll usually catch up with the live feed around the 4th quarter.

I've started doing this with Packer and Badger football the past couple of years after I started watching Formula One, where most of the races are very late/early. I got so used to being able to skip through the commercials that I enjoyed the races in the Americas less because I was stuck watching the commercials, so I started waiting an hour or so before watching. I started doing it with football too and love it.

It's nice to watch a three hour game in closer to two hours and not miss anything. With Wisconsin playing 13-14 games per year and the Packers at least 16, I like the idea of spending a bit less time in front of the TV and a bit more time doing other things.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I highly recommend having two TVs as well. Baseball is the perfect sport to have on the second TV without volume while you watch something else. Or with multiple football games going at once chances are you won't have to watch any commercials.

That might be your own personal fix, but for 9.9/10 other people that isn't even an option. People want to experience their sports as it happens. People want to see the moment as it happens. The technology advanced World has only increased that. I always have friends texting me right after a play happens. If I'm not watching live spoiler alert. Also it makes it hard to go on the internet in any form as you might see the score or something related to it it.

I understand this may not be an issue for you specifically, but for just about everyone else a DVR is a laughable idea. More power to you if that works for you, but that isn't the answer for MLB.

That might be your own personal fix, but for 9.9/10 other people that isn't even an option. People want to experience their sports as it happens. People want to see the moment as it happens. The technology advanced World has only increased that. I always have friends texting me right after a play happens. If I'm not watching live spoiler alert. Also it makes it hard to go on the internet in any form as you might see the score or something related to it it.

I understand this may not be an issue for you specifically, but for just about everyone else a DVR is a laughable idea. More power to you if that works for you, but that isn't the answer for MLB.

Probably should have put that in blue. I don't have a DVR and would never DVR sports. If I can't watch it live I'm just not going to watch it at all.

pace of play is a big issue in all the major sports so this isn't a baseball thing. Football games are terrible at this point, that is why the ratings are totally tanking, the NBA is almost unwatchable outside of playoffs, the pace of Soccer is abysmal. Hockey is very solid in pace but just not that popular. This is a sports needs to fix it issue more than a baseball has a problem.

pace of play is a big issue in all the major sports so this isn't a baseball thing. Football games are terrible at this point, that is why the ratings are totally tanking, the NBA is almost unwatchable outside of playoffs, the pace of Soccer is abysmal. Hockey is very solid in pace but just not that popular. This is a sports needs to fix it issue more than a baseball has a problem.

But yet billions of dollars are being spent on sports. I think this is just something people like to complain about while they're sitting around watching and discussing sports.

The NFL needs to find a workable solutions for how to handle concussions without losing their fan base. Other than that, professional sports will be around longer than any of us.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Some proposals:

1) No leading off from bases, thus no stealing. Can't leave the base until contact is made.

2) One swinging strike is all you get (foul or miss) or two called strikes

3) Two balls is a walk

4) Must chug beer passing 2B (if batted ball hits the barrel, it is in play)

I finished many 7 inning games within an hour with these rules in place.

I don't favor a move to eliminate the pitcher and use a tee.

I have friends who also DVR games.

FWIW, I don't always do that. I watch sporting events with friends or family sometimes and then it's usually watched live. It's just when i'm alone that i DVR games to avoid the endless commercials. Often say before a noon or 3PM Packers game if i'm watching it alone, i'll take my dog for a needed walk and then by the time i get back, i can watch the game mostly commercial free. But hey, everyone is free to watch games how they wish.

On the front of going online while watching games, that's just not my thing. I rarely have interest in say posting in game threads during real time. To distracting, especially if it's a big game. I'd much rather keep more focus on the game itself, than what some random posters online are saying about the game that i can see for myself.

Obviously it's not an answer for baseball or any sport given they want people watching all of those commercials.

Archived