Brewer Fanatic

Pace of Play Remains a Problem

Bombers

From this yahoo article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indians-win-world-series-chess-134118825.html

"the World Series games took an average of three hours, 41 minutes to play, required 28 pitchers and included not a single lead change."

Baseball needs to figure something. World Series games have gone

3 hr 37 min

4 hr 4 min

3 hr 33 min on a 1 - 0 game

3 hr 16 min

I know baseball has tried implementing some minor changes but the time between pitches needs to be reduced. Why players can step completely out of the box or the pitcher step on the mound and then decide to step off the mound is beyond me. Or the pitcher taking signs for 10 seconds and then the hitter calling time out

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the 4 hour game they are all the same as the super bowl. The super bowl on average is 3.5 hours while the NHL and NBA are at about the 2.5 hour mark. NCAA is far worse as coaches seem to horde their time outs in the tournament and the final couple of minutes can drag on for about 20 extra minutes. I think the final 2-minutes of play in 2014 when the Badgers played Kentucky took about 18 minutes to complete with all of the time outs and commercial time outs.

Baseball is actually on par with the NFL when it comes to time of play.

I think this post season has just highlighted the issue. The dodgers / nationals had a 66 min inning. That's a little ridiculous. Manfred has also said that this off season “We’re going to put a package of issues on the table with the union,”

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/15575004/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-unhappy-increased-length-games

So while I agree, it's the playoffs and one would expect slightly longer games, but I think it's still grown too long. IMO

And the comparison with the NFL is fine - I honestly don't know the time length of NFL vs MLB- but at least the NFL has a play clock so the "pace" is consistent. Baseball has no consistency and pitchers / batters have free rain to take as much time as they want. Thus leading to a pace of play issue

Pitchers don't take 40 seconds between pitches so your "consistency" issue that football has is weird to me.

Ya, when you consider every 40 seconds about 5 seconds of actual football action happen I think baseball "outpaces" football. Factor in injuries every 4 or 5 plays, commercial practically every change of possession, penalties, etc, football is just a constant waiting for gameplay to happen. I'll agree it doesn't really feel like it though.

If anyone has watched any AFL games this fall, they are using 15 seconds between pitches so those pitchers are working fast and the game moves along quite well. If they want MLB games to move fast the biggest thing they need to do is get mound conferences under control. No more scouting reports from the pitching coach every time there's a pinch hitter or catcher visits every other batter.

Baseball games aren't long they just feel long and are slow paced. You aren't going to make people feel any better about the speed of the game no matter what you do. They can do all they want, but shaving 20minutes off a game won't do a thing.

I am sure they will institute a pitching clock similar to what they have in the AFL which will hopefully help things a little bit. In the grand scheme of things the slow pace is a part of the game though.

For me, they have to find a way to play games in 2:30 -2:45.

I have gone to 80 games or so in the last 5 years and have seen the 9th inning in fewer than 10 of them.

The postseason is different. Those games are of critical importance. But a regular season game is not.

I know this idea probably sounds outrageous but I would love to eliminate calls to the bullpen during an inning. Every pitcher has to record at least three outs.

If a pitcher just sucks or is tired, it would probably take longer for him to finish the inning than calling in a reliever. And tired pitchers lead to injuries so there's no way the PA would agree to that.

What probably needs to be done is 3 balls for a walk, 2 strikes for a strike out. It is too radical to ever actually happen though, especially considering the rich statistical history of the game that makes it really hard to make huge changes like that.

Community Moderator
The time between pitches is the biggest problem. Pitching changes or other breaks are fine--I can divert my attention somewhere else for 2-3 minutes. But paying close attention to a game that moves slow is incredibly painful. There's no reason why a consistent set of rules wouldn't speed things up--and it's hard to see why it would take anything away from the game when they used to play games 1/3 faster in the "golden era".

I like watching baseball. I don't see the problem.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Last night's game highlighted several items for me that should be addressed, and I think they're low-hanging fruit - I don't think they happen as often during regular season games compared to postseason, but they would be timesavers nonetheless...

a catcher is only allowed 1 trip to the mound during an inning to converse with the pitcher - seems like every time a guy got on 2nd last night, or seemingly every other batter while Chapman was pitching, that Contreras came out to talk to him or a catcher had to run out to remind a pitcher what the signs were. those delays don't count the same as a pitching coach or manager's trip to the mound where more than 1 of those per inning forces a pitching change.

a pitcher is only allowed one instance per batter where they can step off the rubber once they toe it. Again, it seemed like Chapman stepped off the rubber multiple times per batter, mainly due to what seemed like difficulty agreeing on signs with Contreras - then he'd get back on the rubber and the hitter would call time because either they weren't ready when Chapman came set or to simply mess with him.

hitters are only allowed to call time once during an at bat - seemed like both teams have certain counts or situations where they'll intentionally ask for time to try and disrupt a pitcher's timing. There were times last night when 2 minutes went past between pitches.

Kill the 7th inning stretch, unless it can be performed during the normal routine between half innings - as an aside I really hope someone in the Cub organization finally puts the celebrity 'take me out to the ballgame' shtick out of its misery...but why show that 3 minute spectacle only to then go to the normal commercial break on top of it?

I've mentioned it before and I'll repeat it again - I think MLB should take a long look at avoiding going to commercial break after the 6th inning ends - there will still be delays with pitching changes and half inning breaks, but I think those take about the alotted time a typical commercial break is only because they know they have that long. Find advertisers to sponsor the 7-9th innings commercial-free, put a clock on pitching changes or half-inning breaks, and I bet games get shortened 15 minutes on average even during the regular season. If a game goes to extras, they could revert back to traditional commercial breaks between half innings.

I've mentioned it before and I'll repeat it again - I think MLB should take a long look at avoiding going to commercial break after the 6th inning ends - there will still be delays with pitching changes and half inning breaks, but I think those take about the alotted time a typical commercial break is only because they know they have that long.

There are a number of ways the game could be sped up...just don't expect that eliminating a source of revenue is one of them. MLB's goal is not simply to shorten games - the goal is to make watching games as appealing as possible so as to attract the largest audience, and thus increase ticket and advertising revenue. In the end, as much as we'd like to think differently, it's all about the money. If they could make more money by making games 12-hours long, they'd do it.

I am not Shea Vucinich

FTC - I like those idea's. Like my original post said why a pitcher can toe the rubber and step off repeatedly is beyond me. Same for the batter, you get 1 time out. You ask for a 2nd time out and it's a strike. If you have 2 strikes, well you just struck out because you needed time out. Alternatively, an idea would be to just allot a team so many timeouts per game. What sport allows for unlimited timeouts? Clearly it's being taken advantage of. It's all part of the "strategy" - which make for a slow / inconsistent pace. Maybe allow so many timeouts in innings 1 through 6 and then reset them for the 7th - 8th - 9th. But batters stepping out of box, pitchers stepping off mound, catchers talking to pitchers all constitute a time out.

There is also the issue of "I can throw to first base as many times as I want" problem. The pitcher can literally throw there 20 times without any repercussion. (And I have seen multiple times where on the 4th or 5th time in a row of throwing to 1B they finally pick the guy off.) Once again, there should be a limit.

Pitchers don't take 40 seconds between pitches so your "consistency" issue that football has is weird to me.

I meant it as, it's consistently the same. An NFL play runs for say 5 seconds. Then the ball gets set and within 40 seconds you know another play is coming. Sometimes sooner and sometimes all the way up to that 40 seconds, but it has to come or there is a penalty.

In baseball a pitch is thrown. The ball is returned to the pitcher and then at some point he decides to throw anther pitch but only when he is ready, the batter decides he is ready and the catcher decides he is ready. If any of those 3 or the remaining 7 players in the field decide they don't want to "run" a play at that moment in time well then they don't have to. And they can just stand there, toss around the rosin bag, rub some dirt on the bat, whatever. You just throw the next pitch when you are ready.

See this article

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=23669

As of the 2014 season, MLB has stretched to the time between pitches being over 18 seconds. However, football players can line up 22 people, call plays and snap the ball in under 40 seconds. So I would say yes, football is kept at a consistent pace of play- where as baseball is kept at an inconsistent pace of play. In baseball, players have free rein to do whatever they want and there is nothing stopping them.

I like baseball too, but enough is enough. This time out strategy within an at bat is maddening to watch.

Community Moderator

I don't buy the revenue argument. The game has the same number of commercials if it takes 4 hours or 2 hours. The best way to increase revenue is to get more fans watching the game--which can only be accomplished if they stay interested--especially in the late innings which is the most exciting part of the game.

I also don't find anything about the strategy side of the game to be compelling. The main strategy is to stall the game as long as possible. Completely agree with the suggestion to limit time outs and mound visits.

http://deadspin.com/aroldis-chapmans-top-of-the-eighth-was-designed-to-make-1788404600

This sequence especially is just ridiculous:

1:20: Chapman prepares to throw his first pitch to Kipnis.

1:27: Chapman reaches for the mound and steps out of the stretch.

1:47: Pickoff attempt.

2:07: Pickoff attempt.

2:38: Contreras comes out for a mound visit.

3:17: Chapman throws his first pitch to Kipnis, a 100 mph fastball outside.

3:36: Pickoff attempt.

4:12: Chapman throws 98 mph outside, Contreras unsuccessfully attempt to throw out Davis as he steals second.

4:55: Chapman winds up in the stretch, steps off the mound as Davis moves to get a big lead to third.

5:19: Chapman again jumps out of the stretch to attempt to pick off Davis at second.

5:25: Mound conference with Chapman, Javier Baez, and Willson Contreras.

6:05: Chapman throws a 99 mph fastball outside for a swinging strike.

6:56: Chapman throws a 100 mph fastball outside for another swinging strike

7:30: Chapman winds up, Baez signals to him as he looks back, Contreras comes out for a mound visit.

8:02: Chapman throws a 102 mph fastball outside for a ball.

8:30: Kipnis flies out to Ben Zobrist

There is also the issue of "I can throw to first base as many times as I want" problem. The pitcher can literally throw there 20 times without any repercussion. (And I have seen multiple times where on the 4th or 5th time in a row of throwing to 1B they finally pick the guy off.) Once again, there should be a limit.

Say a pitcher reaches the limit. There's nothing stopping a runner at that point from just getting an 80 foot lead knowing that the pitcher can't throw over to pick him off. Sounds good in theory. Impossible to implement.

Part of the reason I don't enjoy physically going to football games is because I watch men stand around longer than I actually watch them play. You never realize how much down time there is in a football game until you are there in person when you don't have commercials or something going on around the house to distract you. It amazes me that football players get winded.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There are a number of ways the game could be sped up...just don't expect that eliminating a source of revenue is one of them.

You must have missed the part of my post indicating MLB should seek out advertisers to "sponsor" the 7-9th innings commercial free - there would be tons of time for short ads/reads for a sponsor or TV network during that part of the game for plugs. I doubt MLB would lose much revenue at all, in fact it would probably make all the commercial spots in earlier innings more valuable.

Archived