Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

That's cause for concern to me. Someone had posted this list in the MiLB forum, and that's a lot of arms to protect. There will definitely be a roster crunch if some of these guys aren't traded.

Catcher (3) - Pina, Nottingham, Susac

1B (2) - Aguilar, Thames

2B/SS (4) - Arcia, Dubon, Diaz, Villar

3B (1) - Shaw

OF (6) - Braun, Perez, Brinson, Phillips, Santana, Stokes

P (24) -Ortiz, Derby, Perrin, Ponce, Bickford, Yamamoto, Medeiros, Supak, Pennington, Kirby, Anderson, Davies, Suter, Nelson, Chacin, Barnes, Diplan, Hader, Houser, Jeffress, Knebel, Peralta, Williams, Woodruff

? - Webb, Wilkerson, Wang, Vogt, Lopez, Guerra, Gatewood, Lara

I left Broxton out as he will likely be dealt. Could be a different OF.

I probably leave Gatewood and Lara open to being plucked, but I could be wrong. The current 40-man has 22 pitchers but 5 catchers. So just have 3 catchers (may not be those 3) and 24 pitchers. Can use a lot of shuttle relievers out of that list.

There are guys like Villar and Perez that may price themselves out so you may have more spots there.

Obviously a ton will change and you have free agents, but you can keep pretty much the core group in tact.

I'm not sure if that's too few MLB arms or not. I count maybe 15 or 16 and it's probably more like 18-19 since we're talking about 2019. A lot of those guys could come up midseason and start pitching out of the pen, etc.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cause for concern to me. Someone had posted this list in the MiLB forum, and that's a lot of arms to protect. There will definitely be a roster crunch if some of these guys aren't traded.

There definitely will be a couple talented guys exposed, I'm sure DS will make good decisions on which guys to expose and keep the higher end talent. A byproduct of improving the talent in the system is occasionally losing some of that talent to rule 5.

You also have to add Monte Harrison and Carlos Herrera to the potential 40 man/exposed to rule 5. Adding those two probably takes off a couple of pitching prospects in addition to the DFA/trade of Webb, Wilkerson, Wang, Lopez and Guerra that you did.

Recently claimed RHP Dylan Baker has been designated for assignment. His stay on the Brewers 40 man roster lasted a little under one month.

Hopefully he makes it through waivers. I like his upside.

How he gets cut and guys like Drake and Susac survive is beyond me.

Any update on Baker? Agree on the upside potential.

Recently claimed RHP Dylan Baker has been designated for assignment. His stay on the Brewers 40 man roster lasted a little under one month.

Hopefully he makes it through waivers. I like his upside.

Any update on Baker? Agree on the upside potential.

it's been over seven days. should have received report of outright, release or trade by now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

christian yelich takes lewis brinson's spot on the 40-man roster. yelich has three minor league options remaining, having never been optioned since having his contract selected by the marlins in 2013.

the 40-man remains full.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All 4 players traded in the Yelich deal would have had to be on the 40-man roster or risk Rule 5 exposure this fall, correct?

I believe you are correct.

Brinson was already on the 40 man roster - so that wasn't an issue.

All of the other three guys were drafted - and signed - in 2014 at the age of 18. That means they would have five years under their belts after the 2018 season - so yes, they would have needed to be put on the 40 man roster or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.

I believe I am correct on this - but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

the signing of free agent matt albers is official. to make room on the 40-man, andrew susac was designated for assignment. if he goes unclaimed, the brewers can outright him to the minor leagues. if susac is claimed by another team, he has one minor league option remaining.

the 40-man roster is still at capacity.

• 1 month later...
It appears that Houser, Lopez, Nottingham, Diplan, Dubon and Webb were optioned.

assuming all spend at least 20 days during the major league season optioned to the minor leagues, each of these players will burn their 2018 option.

for adrian houser and jorge lopez, it's their final option. houser, because of his injury, could be a candidate to have a fourth option year added.

tyler webb will likely burn his second option.

the rest will all likely be burning their first option.

any player optioned to the minor leagues must stay optioned for at least 10 days before being eligible for a recall, unless replacing another player placed on the disabled, paternity or bereavement list.

• 2 weeks later...

keon broxton, junior guerra and brett phillips all have been optioned to the minor leagues.

assuming each spends at least 20 days optioned to the minors once the major league season starts next week, they will each burn their option.

broxton and guerra could be burning their final options. phillips could be burning his second option.

if the signing of dan jennings indeed becomes official, the brewers will need to open up a spot on their 40-man roster.

jimmy nelson could be a candidate to be transferred to the 60-day disabled list. the club could backdate it, although it's unclear on how far back. (it should be noted that cleveland placed cody anderson on the 60-day disabled list on 25 february to make room for a waiver claim.)

if concerned about preserving depth on the 40-man roster when it's time for jimmy nelson to be activated, i'm sure the brewers are counting on stephen vogt returning to action by that time, if not before then. the brewers are not going to carry three catchers on their 25-man roster (at least not for very long). thus, one of vogt, jett bandy or manny pina will have to be removed from the 40-man roster, which would open up a spot for jimmy nelson's return.

Tyler Webb is clearly not in the team's plans. When's the last time a 27 year old 40 man roster player only got 2 innings of work in spring training with the big club? He'll be dropped whenever we need a spot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

dan jennings signing is official. he is out of options.

to make room on the 40-man roster for jennings, jimmy nelson, who had been placed on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to 26 march, was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

ji-man choi was optioned to colorado springs. if he spends more than 20 days optioned in 2018, he will enter 2019 spring training with no remaining minor league options.

the 40-man roster is full.

Little disappointed that Choi is the odd man out. I get it but disappointed.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nelson was placed on 60 day DL. Is that retroactive to a spring training date? Not sure how that works.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006