Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit surprised to see Hughes non-tendered; not so surprised to see Jeffress retained. The Jeffress move has a lot of potential upside if he rediscovers his old form, with very little downside if he doesn't, so I'm fine with that.

Would have thought that Drake would be the one non-tendered ahead of Hughes; but at the same time I'm not someone who hates the Drake. Drake was fine against lefties, so if that's mainly how he's employed then he can be a useful player. Retaining him could signal that Hader and/or Suter are expected to mainly feature in the rotation too. Or it could be another reason entirely of course.

Drake only has about 1.5 years of service time, so he's not arbitration-eligible.

I liked Hughes last year. Overall he was pretty decent if not a "game changer" type -- he was at least better than half the guys they had in the bullpen. He had his bumpy days, but a 3.02 ERA and a 1.22 WHIP at year's end isn't exactly worth looking down on. Maybe his costs projected to be too high -- especially with nearly identical numbers for 2 years running -- and they'd prefer to spend more of their BP $$ on 1-2 Swarzek types (I'd hope that means Swarzak & one other).

• 3 weeks later...
I don't see Webb as one of the prime candidates to get DFAd. Good minor league numbers as a lefty, and I believe he has two options remaining. That last part being the key; which is also why I believe Andrew Susac will stay on the roster while Jett Bandy probably will not. Although that decision might very well be made in spring training after evaluating them.

Drake serves a purpose I guess as a reverse split guy who is tough on righties. The only thing I can figure is they are hoping to throw one of Susac or Bandy in as an extra nugget in a bigger trade. I suppose there are catcher-needy teams out there that could use one of them. Too bad it appears that Tampa doesn't need catching. Maybe they could flip one to Florida if Realmuto gets moved?

Drake serves a purpose I guess as a reverse split guy who is tough on righties. The only thing I can figure is they are hoping to throw one of Susac or Bandy in as an extra nugget in a bigger trade. I suppose there are catcher-needy teams out there that could use one of them. Too bad it appears that Tampa doesn't need catching. Maybe they could flip one to Florida if Realmuto gets moved?

I guess. 4 catchers on the 40 man seems really dumb to me. Especially since 2 of them aren't really any good.

I feel like Drake is likely to be the first guy punted if/when we bring in another reliever. Susac has an option, so it's more likely that Bandy is a 40 man casualty before Susac.

With the Gallardo and Chacin signings official

gallardo has never been optioned, so he has three options intact, but given his service time, he has the right to refuse the optional assignment to the minor leagues and void his contract--making him a free agent.

chacin appears to have one minor league option remaining, but ditto on sufficient service time to refuse the optional assignment.

with the dfa of dylan baker, the 40-man roster is full.

I guess. 4 catchers on the 40 man seems really dumb to me. Especially since 2 of them aren't really any good.

Actually, Nottingham was added, so we're up to 5. Susac must have compromising pictures of Stearns's wife or something.

Ha, that's right. Not the best use of the 40 man in my opinion. I'm guessing it won't stay that way, but yowza.

So I know it has been discussed maybe earlier on this thread and in others, but I'm not sure there was much of a formal discussion of the "40 man roster crunch" coming up after this season.

As I understand it:

Gatewood

Diaz

Lara(?)

Stokes

Ortiz

Derby

Perrin

Ponce

Bickford

Yamamoto

Medeiros

Supak

Pennington

Kirby

That's 15 players and some are a stretch

Here are next year's free agents/non-tender candidates:

Sogard (FA)

Gallardo (FA)

Guerra

Bandy

Drake

Jungmann

Lopez

Wang

Webb

Wilkerson

Villar

Perez

Vogt

Susac

Just mostly trying to open discussion and also coming to the conclusion that the roster crunch shouldn't be that bad.

Still will likely be some prospect consolidation, but I could see getting almost everyone that we care about on the 40. I'm not sure if you want all 12 or so of the ones I'd be certain about getting on the 40 given that many may not be ready for the majors, but I think it could be doable.

So I know it has been discussed maybe earlier on this thread and in others, but I'm not sure there was much of a formal discussion of the "40 man roster crunch" coming up after this season.

As I understand it:

Gatewood

Diaz

Lara(?)

Stokes

Ortiz

Derby

Perrin

Ponce

Bickford

Yamamoto

Medeiros

Supak

Pennington

Kirby

Sogard (FA)

Gallardo (FA)

Guerra

Bandy

Drake

Jungmann

Lopez

Wang

Webb

Wilkerson

Villar

Perez

Vogt

Susac

Just mostly trying to open discussion and also coming to the conclusion that the roster crunch shouldn't be that bad.

Still will likely be some prospect consolidation, but I could see getting almost everyone that we care about on the 40. I'm not sure if you want all 12 or so of the ones I'd be certain about getting on the 40 given that many may not be ready for the majors, but I think it could be doable.

I tend to agree with you. There will probably be some prospect consolidation as you noted. We can only carry so many prospects that are 1-2 years away from being ready to help the MLB club, need to fill out a 25 man active roster and have some depth spots. I also don't think it's as bad as many think. Of the guys you listed, there are 1 or 2 that I highly doubt we protect(Lara) and a couple that can absolutely help the MLB club at least as depth guys that could come up if needed(Derby/Ortiz). Will be interesting, I could see us being active with some of those names still this offseason and/or at the deadline to do a bit of consolidation.

The "problem" really starts presenting itself between 2019 and 2020, when prospects 1-2 years younger than the list you provided find themselves in the same situation. Also, we're not taking into account the high-talent prospects who will likely force themselves onto the 40 man much earlier than the steady progression made by some in minor league development (Burnes, Hiura, etc). The Brewers could jump through a ton of hoops to retain as many of these players listed over the next year, only to find it even more difficult 1 year from now.

There will be plenty of competition for roster spots, and plenty of trades/moves that jettison players to other organizations.

As I understand it:

Gatewood

Diaz

Lara(?)

Stokes

Ortiz

Derby

Perrin

Ponce

Bickford

Yamamoto

Medeiros

Supak

Pennington

Kirby

Sogard (FA)

Gallardo (FA)

Guerra

Bandy

Drake

Jungmann

Lopez

Wang

Webb

Wilkerson

Villar

Perez

Vogt

Susac

Agreed. Our 40 man won't be in a big squeeze next year. Our 40 man has some real fring types and our prospects coming for 40 man status doesn't contain that many who project as major league regulars.

I think it is a problem because it doesn't really matter if there are fringy players on the 25 man if there are 20 minor leaguers that they like. In that case they are leaving at least 5 unprotected since at most there are only 15 minor leaguers on the 40 man during the season and usually less.

Edit: I added Diplan, Houser, Peralta, Nottingham and Dubon to your initial list to get to 20 in this example. There are other minor league types like Webb, Wang, Lopez, Wilkerson, Williams that they would also have to DFA/trade/promote to the majors to get to the 15 minor leaguer max.

I think it is a problem because it doesn't really matter if there are fringy players on the 25 man if there are 20 minor leaguers that they like. In that case they are leaving at least 5 unprotected since at most there are only 15 minor leaguers on the 40 man during the season and usually less.

Edit: I added Diplan, Houser, Peralta, Nottingham and Dubon to your initial list to get to 20 in this example. There are other minor league types like Webb, Wang, Lopez, Wilkerson, Williams that they would also have to DFA/trade/promote to the majors to get to the 15 minor leaguer max.

Some of those 20 minor leaguers will have to start contributing at the MLB level, otherwise we'll lose some talent. The amount of arms expected to be on the 40 man next year adds ammunition to not loading up the bullpen with too many veterans right now. We'll have to hope a couple of those many options establish themselves this year. I imagine that large group of AAA/MLB likely bullpen arms is where we lose most guys from the 40 man.

I like what DS is doing. Buying up some decent deals in FA to round out the roster and see how the season goes. I think if we have a decent year, he will trade some of that depth for controllable players. Hopefully we don't have to give away as many Top 10 pieces if our system is this deep. A lot of competition in the minors this year. It will be interesting to see what the Rays, Nottinghams, and Gatewoods do.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers