Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

djoctagone

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have to wonder how a guy with a career ERA over 8 is 40 man worthy.

Limited upside, but younger than Paolo Espino. For now he fills out the AAA rotation, possibly with a chance as a swing/long man in the future. Several other Brewer pitchers have added a few ticks to their fastballs, and if Brooks can do that too, who knows? There may be something there.

Stearns must see something in Brooks. Remains to be seen.

Must have a high ground ball rate, those are the guys he normally picks up. 4th team for Brooks, maybe the other 3 teams missed something...NOT. Watched him plenty of times in Kane County, Omaha and Des Moines and he's not impressive...never has been, but he's due for a breakout season. Brooks can only have so many bad seasons...Way to go Stearns.

Yeah there's got to be something there.

Looking over his stats, what jumps out with relation to the sky high ERA is 19% HR/FB ratio this season, 25% last season, as well as a .345 BABIP this year, .333 last year. Before that, when those numbers were more normal, he was running a sub-4 ERA in AAA and AA. Even this year in AAA his xFIP is a fairly decent 4.28. To put that into perspective, on the current Brewers roster only Knebel, Nelson, Barnes, Drake and Hughes has a better xFIP. So there are, even at a superficial glance at stats, some things that would point to that ERA being rather misleading. Presumably the Brewers have scouted him as well, and there's more there that would speak to improvements.

But yeah, could also be playoff depth in AAA if Guerra, Jungmann, Webb, Wang and others are called up.

Still, a move that costs nothing other than DFAing Espino (Who could well be claimed if it was September, but not now) so I'll trust Stearns on this.

Still, a move that costs nothing other than DFAing Espino (Who could well be claimed if it was September, but not now) so I'll trust Stearns on this.

as mentioned on this thread, waiver claims cost $50,000--not nothing.

also, any team wanting to claim espino would not have to place him on their 25-man roster. espino, having already burned his first option and having been on optional assignment when dfa'd, could simply be optioned by the claiming team, and then recalled when rosters expand in september.

In the grand scheme of things, $50k is virtually nothing to an MLB club.

My mistake about Espino, for some reason I thought he was out of options. Which I don't know why I thought, since I know we optioned him. Brain freeze I guess.

Yeah, I assume the staff sees something that maybe if they tweak this they have found something. If not, he will be churned out of the system after the season.

• 2 weeks later...

aaron brooks designated for assignment. the brewers have seven days to release, trade or outright him to the minors. considering that he's out of options come 2018, and that the minor league season has ended, it's very unlikely that any team would want to claim him. i'm betting that the brewers outright him right away.

his replacement on the 40-man and active roster? speedster quintin berry. berry appears to have one minor league option remaining. he was not on the 40-man roster as of 31 august, so he shouldn't be eligible to appear in any postseason games, but can help the brewers through 1 october.

the 40-man roster is full.

• 2 weeks later...

yadiel rivera designated for assignment. he will enter 2018 spring training with no minor league options. aaron wilkerson has his contract selected, and will enter 2018 spring training with three minor league options.

the 40-man roster is full.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

four players added to the 40-man roster, protecting them from the upcoming rule 5 draft: mauricio dubon, jacob nottingham, marcos diplan and freddy peralta. all will enter 2018 spring training with three minor league options.

the roster is at 39.

Stearns and his comments crack me up. 4 guys separated themselves from other players in the organization. IMO Nottingham should not have been added. The guy repeated AA and put up garbage numbers.

21 years old at AA. 2-1

He would have been taken no questions asked. Maybe even 1st. I think he rebounds offensively this year and becomes a top 10 prospect for the team.

Everyone besides Hughes was tendered a contract.

Huh. They don't have $3m for the guy with a 2.85 career e.r.a. but they can pay Jeffress, a guy who's lost the velocity he relies on so heavily and has behavioral issues to go with nearly a 1.5 career WHIP? I get the Jeffress theoretically has a little better "stuff", but this surprises and disappoints me (though I admit it's probably not of much consequence).

Oliver Drake still holds a roster spot but we couldn’t make room for Hughes. Dumb.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Everyone besides Hughes was tendered a contract.

Huh. They don't have $3m for the guy with a 2.85 career e.r.a. but they can pay Jeffress, a guy who's lost the velocity he relies on so heavily and has behavioral issues to go with nearly a 1.5 career WHIP? I get the Jeffress theoretically has a little better "stuff", but this surprises and disappoints me (though I admit it's probably not of much consequence).

I agree 100%. I watched Jeffress enough last year with Texas and he was horrible. A little better with Brewers. I would have offered a deal to Hughes before Jeffress. They spent 5 million on Feliz last year and wont give hughes a deal. I guess it may be a good year to tank for no. 1 or 2 draft pick.

I guess it may be a good year to tank for no. 1 or 2 draft pick.

I seriously don't think Hughes will be the difference maker. I agree that non-tendering Hughes is a bit of a head scratcher. I would have non-tendered Vogt and Jeffress before Hughes. But Hughes is on the wrong side of 30 and maybe on the downhill of his career. This seems like a low impact type of move, not something to get too excited about.

Maybe this means more opportunities for younger players or room for a better free agent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My guess is that the club viewed Hughes and Jeffress as similar pitchers - both extreme ground ball types. They saw Hughes as older and more expensive, and went with Jeffress.

Hughes was perfectly fine last year, but the team probably feels Jeffress offers more upside - remember, he had sub-ERAs of 3.00 from 2014-16, and worked as our closer. Again, the team probably liked that they felt okay with giving him the job if there was an injury.

Either way, I thought Hughes did a decent job and I'm a little surprised he was non-tendered.